Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My First post... been lurking for a while, and I pretty much used this site to build my bugout kit.

One thing I haven't seen is buggin out with a dog. I have 2 yo GSD. (German Shepherd). I couldn't imagine leaving her behind partly because of love and partly because she is an amazing tool. She tracks and defends. I have picked up a Outwardhound
backpack and she can carry 6 full cans of food and 80oz of water.

What else should I pack for a dog?

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a similar bag pack for my dog.
Things I've included beyond food & water:
Collapsible food and water dish.
Leash
Paracord (longer/substitute leash if/when needed)
Small roll of electric tape. Basically, near the end of a roll. Our bag has reflective tape on it. Sometimes that could be good, other times bad. The ele. tape is to cover that reflective tape if desired.
I'm considering adding a dose of Flea/tick meds and 1 Heartworm pill.

If you & your dog doesn't already do this, put the pack and load on your dog and have her wear it during the day for a couple days. At first, my dog wouldn't even move with it on. After we got past that stage, it took some tweaking to get it fit right.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Often overlooked items...

Dog booties to protect their feet during a long hike/walk over rough terrain. Some type of cleansing/medicated wipes to keep your dog's feet clean, especially in winter when there is road salt. The salt can really mess up an animal's paws. A favorite toy to play with during rest/down times. :)

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
We will not leave unless we have to,like nukes or whatever.

But the dog idea is really a good idea,glad you joined us.I never would have thought of a dog pack.:cool:

We have 3 dogs we would'nt leave any of them.Ones too old to carry the others ones nuts emotionally so that leaves one to carry.

Will have to make some kind of back pack for the abled mind and bodied one.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
think about adding a pull cart for the dog. if the dog is big enough they will be able to pull up to a couple of hundred pounds (or more) with a little training. big help if you have to walk to bug out.:2thumb: less I have to carry.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
A pull-cart is good if you have the right breed of dog as well as the right terrain. FL and LA are pretty flat so it's doable. Honolulu or the hills of PA (where I live), once you're off pavement, the terrain is too rough for a dog pulling a cart.

Meercat - Looking at what you pay for something already made, I'd go that route instead of making one. The OP has a Outwardhound and I have a Mountainsmith. BTW, Backcountry seems to have them on sale for 1/2 price right now.
Mountainsmith Dog Pack from Backcountry.com

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have an 8 month old black lab pup wouldn't dream of leaving without him. Where did you get the doggie backpack? I have thought about one of those also. Also for bugout or bugin food I keep 3-40# bags rotating constantly grandfather, father, son that way the food is always reasonably fresh. My lab has extremely sensitive ears and lets me know what's going on in the middle of the night.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
A pull-cart is good if you have the right breed of dog as well as the right terrain. FL and LA are pretty flat so it's doable. Honolulu or the hills of PA (where I live), once you're off pavement, the terrain is too rough for a dog pulling a cart.

Meercat - Looking at what you pay for something already made, I'd go that route instead of making one. The OP has a Outwardhound and I have a Mountainsmith. BTW, Backcountry seems to have them on sale for 1/2 price right now.
Mountainsmith Dog Pack from Backcountry.com
Thanks for website but my puter won't let me stay on it long enough to get the price.

My dog is about 60lb.s that is young enough and mental enough to carry a BOB.
The other one is 100lb.s but about 10 yr.s old ,a old hound dog that will give her life for ya,very protective yet gentle unless someone gets aggressive around us.Then I have the Scooby Doo panic dog that weighs about 35-40lb.s.

All will bark and two are good watch dogs.

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
For food - There was a thread a while back about feeding dogs rice & beans. Make sure (s)he'll eat a variety - including meat with light bones (like chicken), fish, eggs, beans/rice (I've heard soy sauce can make it sweeter to them).

Make sure not to over load the doggie pack - dogs are pretty long animals (long backs)2, not ideal for a heavy pack. I'd consider packing lighter, but bulkier things for the dog. The cart sounds like a great idea! If I ever get another large dog I'll try it.

Basic first aid - a surgical wash, first aid kit, razor, gauze / sling material, toe nail clippers. I'd have some basic anti-biotics, I've used the general farm ones from the feed store - it comes in a foil bag as a powder.

If you are crossing state lines make sure you have anything needed for that (just in case).

Did you defense train the dog yourself? Any resources you can recommend to that end?

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
For food - There was a thread a while back about feeding dogs rice & beans. Make sure (s)he'll eat a variety - including meat with light bones (like chicken), fish, eggs, beans/rice (I've heard soy sauce can make it sweeter to them).

Make sure not to over load the doggie pack - dogs are pretty long animals (long backs)2, not ideal for a heavy pack. I'd consider packing lighter, but bulkier things for the dog. The cart sounds like a great idea! If I ever get another large dog I'll try it.

Basic first aid - a surgical wash, first aid kit, razor, gauze / sling material, toe nail clippers. I'd have some basic anti-biotics, I've used the general farm ones from the feed store - it comes in a foil bag as a powder.

If you are crossing state lines make sure you have anything needed for that (just in case).

Did you defense train the dog yourself? Any resources you can recommend to that end?
Never feed a dog cooked bones of any kind.We give our dogs raw bones to keep tartar off their teeth.Vets want 500 bucks to clean a dogs teeth,when a raw bone will do it for a couple $'s.

Most dog foods have corn in it and thats not good fro dogs.Rice is better.Our dogs have to eat what we can feed them though,so it has corn.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did train her myself. I picked up a police training sleeve on ebay for about 100 and used that. Turned it into a game. I followed the training practices for shitzhund. I wanted to get her Shitzhund certified, but she is a bit to spacey for that. But she picked up defense pretty well. She'll attack on command and will not release until person is on the ground or a I call drop.

Schutzhund Training - Learn about this amazing dog sport!

And this is my GSD... Abigale Von Billhiem

·
Registered
260 Posts
Red tape...

Don't forget to pack the animals' rabies inoculation certificate and licensing documentation. If challenged, you might not be able to bring your pet with you into some areas with out the proper documentation that they are disease-free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't forget to pack the animals' rabies inoculation certificate and licensing documentation. If challenged, you might not be able to bring your pet with you into some areas with out the proper documentation that they are disease-free.
Very good point there I have had dog packs for years with my dogs. best to train them young and often with them. they have the hardest time learning to walk far enough around things with them on. The get caught on every doorway for a while till they learn. I have to say your dog could mean difference if you live or die in a fall situation if you believe in that kind of thing.:dunno: You might abandon your dog but your dog will never abandon you.they can hunt and kill for you as well as fight for you and your own. A dog will always defend its pack.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Unfortunately my old gal is past carrying a pack, she gets tired and sore easily these days. So I either bug out in a vehicle, we stay put or we walk a few hundred yards then rest for a bit then travel more. Leaving her behind, alive, is not an option. She will not suffer on her own from other beasts or whatnot.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Has anybody considdered bugging out on a motorcycle with a dog? I guess you would need a side car. I think about how much easier it is to manuver around traffic on a bike.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Has anybody considdered bugging out on a motorcycle with a dog? I guess you would need a side car. I think about how much easier it is to manuver around traffic on a bike.
My cousin carried his dog on a scooter every where he went. From when it was a puppy until it died of old age. If the scooter went anywhere the dog went to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts