Bug Out Kit / Bug Out Bag

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by NaeKid, Aug 19, 2009.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Attached is a .pdf file that I created by copy / pasting a bunch of information into from PreparedSociety about BOB's. Here is revision 1 for you all to read through and critique for me.

If you want to share your BOB with the group, more than welcome to, or, post-up your BOB here ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. doc66

doc66 Well-Known Member

BOB's are tough to give advice on. I am a minimalist while I have friends who carry so many batteries for all their stuff, they rattle.

I think you should start that out with "A basic BOB should have these items, and personalize to meet your needs" statement. This list seems more geared toward a Survival Kit, rather than a BOB. To me, a BOB is something you use for rapid movement and not staying in place. My plan with my BOB is I will move until just before dark, set up a quick camp, eat and when I wake in the AM, start all over again, I will not be staying put. It's a personal thing.

I also have a problem with fishing kits. A fishing kit speaks to staying put, BOB's should not be designed for staying put, at least not longer than overnight in most cases, thus the term "Bug Out Bag". Plus a person can waste valuable time fishing when they should be setting up to survive. Fishing burns time like nothing else. You can waste a lot of time at trying to eat, that might be better spent gathering things you really can eat. For a survival kit, a fishing kit is fine, maybe. I would rather see people talk about setting trot lines while you sleep and the possibility of having breakfast, than "fishing".

Be sure to mention that HEAVY foil is needed, not just any foil. An extra heavy duty foil if you can get it, something more like a bendable sheet of metal.

There's other nit-picks, but you know, I can always find something to complain about.

3. NaeKid

Thanks Doc!

I love the nit-piks because it helps me fine-tune the file and make it general enough that everyone can benifit from it. I am tweaking the information, adding and changing as I can till it makes sense to me. Because you all have a different idea of what makes a good BOB, I will put that into the file as well.

If you would like to write a page (or two or more) for the .pdf - go for it and I will copy / paste it in with your name associated with the writing you do.

I am not looking at a "be all and end all" that covers everything - just something that if someone reads it and says "damn - I should have though of that" - it is enough for me. I also would like to make it printable that if someone wanted to put it into a binder and write all over it - there is enough space to do so.

I would love to see what others would write onto the pages and maybe incorporate that into the next revision.

4. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

5. NaeKid

I have also tried those "wire-based" saws and hated them. I have friends that swear by them, I just swear at them. My best friend and I have the "hand chain-saw" just like what you linked in. He keeps his in his tool-box on his quad and uses it all the time. I keep mine in my Jeep - and haven't had to use it - - - yet. I also carry a buck-saw and it still hasn't seen any use.

All my bush-grade saw work has been by gas-powered chain-saw - so I am still cheating :eek:

6. Expeditioner

LOL....a gas powered chain saw is so much easier.......I have one at home and at my BOL......I love the pocket chain saw.....take it with me on camping, fishing and hunting trips!:D

7. DragoSapien

DragoSapien Amateur Radio KF5AEJ

My BOB's are a little different. We have three of them in my house. Our BOB's are (wast no time, grab it and run). Or if we go out of town, we always take them with us in the tool box of the truck. Each bag has $100, three days of close, water, and some snacks. In my BOB i also put my Ham radio HT, leathermen tool, and some bathroom stuff. My wife putts extra med's that she has to have and other stuff that woman cant live with out. My little girl only added some her PSP game. :D Not really a survival kit. Its mostly for tornado's, having to stay out of town unexpectedly, Or medical emergency.

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Well put Doc, I agree, I have to remember that my BOB is for rapid movement and that other items are for the BOL. I have gotten carried away at times at what I put in my BOB and have to thin it out again.:2thumb:

9. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

This is what I have for a BOB in each vehicle, not counting the high lift jack, shovel, hatchet, flashlights, batteries, HF radios, these along with paper maps, sleeping bags, toilet paper, boots and probably somethings I can't remember.:scratch
    The masks are MCU-2A/P with extra filters, hoods, dark over-visors and built-in mics for communication. Yes I carry two masks, wouldn't be to cool not to have one for a possible passenger.:eek:
    I also have a NBC over garment, boots and gloves, which work well for they were intended for, but, also for cold weather, I'm sure some of you can attest to the 'warmth' of these.:2thumb:

Attached Files:

10. mirigraber

mirigraber Guest

Not a critique but just wanted to say that I think your whole pdf is very informative. I would probably not fish because I find it frustrating. But there are several 'I never thought of this' things mentioned. So thanks! I was curious if anyone has saddle type bags for their dogs? I know you can buy them but I was thinking that saddle bags would be pretty easy to make and my dogs are strong. Just in general there is really no reason they can't carry my stuff when I walk them :)

11. NaeKid

I have noticed some very inexpensive doggy-saddle-bags at the local pet store and some very extensive designed ones that are much more money. Some dogs have no problems wearing "clothes" and as such, saddle bags would not bother them at all. Other dogs hate the feel of anything on them (think booties) and will do their best to shake off whatever you put on them.

If you have the skills to build a set of saddle-bags - go for it and let us know how your dogs react to them! :beercheer:

12. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Use fishing gear in you BOB by setting some lines at night and checking them in the morning. (I used to do it quite often.) Same thing when using snares or traps. Set them when you stop, pick them up in the morning. In our neck of the woods squirrels are very easy to snare. With practice you can set snares or lines in a very short time.

13. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I like the idea of snares for bugging out, how ever not for travelling. I want to keep moving until I reached my BOL. I would like to have 10 or 20 of them there, but this is my scenario or plan. We all know what we need to do to fit our particular circumstances. I have talked to alot of oldtimers about using snares, they are a wealth of information and I have learned alot. I just need to buy some and get some practical experience.

14. TimB

TimB Member

Just thought I would mention that if I have to bug-out, that means the situation is pretty bad in my home area. One thing I have to go w/ my BOB (which is a backpack) is a tac vest. Besides the obvious holster and mag pouches, it has several small pockets where small items can be easily reached (flashlight, compass, knife, multi-tool, etc.). This would be handy even for those who won't be carrying firearms (use the mag pouches for other items). :2thumb: Here's mine but there are many available in different configurations-

VEST-160 - UTG Law Enforcement Unit Vest, Right Hand, Black Includes Mag Pouches, Holster, Gear Pouches, Pistol Belt

Tim

15. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

WindStorm Whistles Storm Whistles

This is the whistle I just bought. I bought two storm whistles and I'm waiting on the package to arrive some time next week. I thought you might like the link to add to your pdf file.

16. a-dah

a-dah New Member

I'm rather new to the whole survival gear thing and read through the pdf on bug out bags (which was very cool). I purchased a old Alice Pack w/Frame/Pad/Straps and am waiting on it to arrive. Just wanted to post a thank u all for the great ideas of items I need to put in it.

:2thumb:

17. Expeditioner

ALICE packs are a great and an inexpensive way to get started. Make sure you pack items that you need to keep dry in dry sacks or heavy duty zip lock bags or some other water tight containers. Even though these bags are made of nylon these bags are not the greatest when it comes to water resistance.

18. beaster

beaster Member

Check out this kit. It's a bit overkill, and I don't know how this guy plans on hauling all of this stuff (see the bins?), but it has some good ideas.

BUG OUT BAG (BOB) - Calguns.net

:congrat:

19. rflood

rflood Well-Known Member

BOB's are really tough to put together and I have over thought mine more than once. As much as it is nice to pack every square inch of the pack and stand back and say look at me, the trouble starts when you go to lift the darn thing! Anyway, my BOB is in a constant state of revision and Naekid, your PDF is helping me with my BOB V3.10 ;)

20. hightechredneck

hightechredneck New Member

one more thing i recommend to people for their backpack size bob, is a pocket stove, i have one that folds up (about the size of a paperback book when folded up) burns twigs paper etc, very useful in highwind or rain conditions