Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am a new survival enthusiast and new to the blog. with all the crazy stuff happening in the world i want to start a bug out bag and need some ideas of what i could build. i live in the portland metro area so anything that helps with that geographical area. thanks guys.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
probably need a few more specifics, like:

how much do you want to spend?

how much can you realistically carry or do you have any space/weight constraints?

do you have any special needs (dietary, medical etc)?

do you have skills to help you (firebuilding, navigation, plant recognition etc etc) if you have to bug out?

is this a bag to constantly keep with you (carried or in/on a vehicle) or one that will be ready for you to flee the house?

do you have somewhere to bug TO?

... just for starters

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Alot a that be a personal choice, but here be a few things an sure be others along with idears to.

Rope
Tarp er a reinforced poly sheet
Water er somethin ta put water in
Water treatment (purifiyin)
Food
Knife
Multi tool
Compass
First Aid kit
Extra clothes
Meds if ya take em
Compass an maps fer yalls area
Fire kits (more en one way ta make a fire)
Some spare cash
Important documents

That'll get ya a start. Out there yer gonna have ta adjust fer the seasons.

·
Reverend Coot
3,848 Posts
Don't ferget road construction season!:eek:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
At the top of this section there is a thread called Bug out Kit / Bug Out Bag with lists of things that will help you build your first BOB (Bug Out Bag).

You will need to decide for yourself what is suitable for your region and what is suitable for your situation. What you may decide is a GHB (Get Home Bag) instead of a BOB is the better choice. In your GHB you could have a good pair of walking shoes, some kind of rain-jacket / rain-pant, some GORP (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts - trail-mix), some bottled water or Gatoraid, maybe a flashlight, maybe a one-man tent, maybe a hammock, maybe a folding knife, maybe some rope, maybe some paper and a pencil and a pen ...

I built my first GHB when I was ten or eleven, my requirements from that age to now has changed significantly, but, the basics are still the same.

Just a hint for you - make sure that the GHB or BOB is something that you can comfortably carry or have with you daily.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Alot a that be a personal choice, but here be a few things an sure be others along with idears to.

Rope
Tarp er a reinforced poly sheet
Water er somethin ta put water in
Water treatment (purifiyin)
Food
Knife
Multi tool
Compass
First Aid kit
Extra clothes
Meds if ya take em
Compass an maps fer yalls area
Fire kits (more en one way ta make a fire)
Some spare cash
Important documents

That'll get ya a start. Out there yer gonna have ta adjust fer the seasons.
At flea markets and dollar tree, I buy plastic shower curtains and plastic table cloths---cheap and if messed up after use, no problem, disposables.:wave:
Uses for these is numerous and tarps at one time were $1 at Family Dollar store. I call those kind 'disposables'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bug Out Bags

Mil-Surp bags are cheap and you can find them in good used condition. They are made to be abused.

Lg Alice Pack with frame. 2,800 CUBIC INCHES OF STORAGE not including the outside pouches.

Medium Alice Pack with straps, or can be used with frame. 1,800 cubic inches of storage not including outside pouches.

Here is a link: ALICE PACK. LARGE ALICE PACK. BACK PACK

Here is a video:

·
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
316 Posts
Any chance of being around a water source? Fishing kit.

I've always avoided these in survival situations as fish smell is really hard to get off everything and only attracts things. But recently I thought about setting up as Trot lines. Why not? We do it at home (2 full family weekends). Trot line in the water, set-up camp. There's also the fact that you don't want to carry all that crud that goes along with fishing...there's a reason it's called a tackle box. lol!

Anyways, no fancy lure tackle box, no matter how small. Those things leak anyways. I used a pill bottle. Wrapped up 30ft of 20lb line. 3 treble hooks. 3 snelled hooks. Lead sinkers of dif sizes. And, because I had extra space left...for moving water, I threw in 2 Jigs and attachable spinner. Duct tape wrapped around the outside of the bottle. If you need a bobber, use the bottle.

A fishing Kit wouldn't be ideal to use if you were to keep on the move. Of course, it might make great trade item for people able to Bug In. People do crazy stuff, might as well be ready for them. lol!

·
Registered
597 Posts
If I am in a bug out situation, leagal fishing is the last type I am going to be doing. But I understand about what you are saying, laying around with a string tied to your toe and waiting for a bite, no time for that. Having a bunch of drop lines, or a trot line rolled up on a piece of pipe, and I stick mine in a 20 oz bottle. You can cut the bottom off, just where it changes sizes, and use them for containers. They stay together pretty good. Plus, you may use them a lot when you get to where you are going. I am taking all my traps and snares to my BOL. I am thinking of making a few man sized traps too. I call those " mechanical land mines".

·
Registered
314 Posts
so i am a new survival enthusiast and new to the blog. with all the crazy stuff happening in the world i want to start a bug out bag and need some ideas of what i could build. i live in the portland metro area so anything that helps with that geographical area. thanks guys.
The FEMA website FEMA | Federal Emergency Management Agency has a great "starter" list, and they call it an ICE bag: In Case of Emergency

·
New here
137 Posts
+1

The FEMA website FEMA | Federal Emergency Management Agency has a great "starter" list, and they call it an ICE bag: In Case of Emergency
FEMA really does have some excellent info & prepping courses available for free. One might just get the idea that they really are an Emergency Management Agency set up by Congress....oh wait, that's what they are. They do a POOR job of putting their message out though. There's still entirely too many people living in the U.S. who mistakenly believe that "the government" can be expected to "help" them during or after an emergency right away. That is simply not true.

The first thing individual citizens learn from their book, "Are You Ready?" is that U.S. citizens make up the BASE of the emergency management pyramid, and that neighborhoods and communities are the next level followed by the Red Cross, Salvation Army, churches and other non governmental organizations before the local government agencies responsibilities begin followed by the state and finally by FEMA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On some other forum - I forget where - I read that there is no one "BoB." This site considered four possible sizes, and each might differ somewhat in what is packed.

The first and largest is something that isn't really a "Bob," rather a "BoC," a container that can be carried, but not packed. Like the common plastic totes that can be kept in a vehicle, or just inside a door so that it can be thrown into a vehicle on a moment's notice.

The second would conform to the size of a large pack on frame as described earlier in this thread.

The third would be a small pack sans frame, in the range of kids' school backpacks.

The fourth is small enough to be carried at all times, or something like that, ranging in size from a fanny pack that can be belted on, all the way down to the micro-size "Altoid tin" version for just the smallest and most essential items.

As for what goes in......as some in this thread have already intimated, that's going to vary somewhat from person to person. The resources already detailed, such as stickies in this forum, all the way to online government resources like FEMA (and, I believe, even NASA) are your friend.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Probably been covered.

How to plan your bug out kit.

1 where are you bugging out from?do you need water, warm clothing,food, ammo, extra fuel etc?

2 Where are you bugging out to?what conditions are on the trip,plan for them!

3 What is between point A and point B?climbing a mountain or crossing a few roads, any places to rest, hunt, re supply?

4 How long will it take you to get there?plan accordingly.three days grub won't do 15 without replenishing.

5 What resources are between point A and B?food, ammo, water,relatives and friends..

6 Any special needs? bring any prescriptions and eye glasses,got kids?wife?with medical issues?pack what you'll need!

7 Will you have to fight, hunt, or both?Pick weapons that can do both!you know where you live,chose wisely.

8 Anyone along for the trip?pack extra if you pick up someone or think you will.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea I've taken all those into consideration. Now its time to go out and shop! lol. I was also thinking what are some good bug out locations? Like i know some people have houses in remote locations but i don't. So im thinking somewhere in the north west by a lake of some sort. Weather not to harsh. Lake is an abundant amount of drinking water, fish, bathing, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anyone own and use a Swedish Trangia alcohol stove? I have one but haven't tried it out. Thought was it would be a light'ish weight mess/cook kit for my BOB.

·
234 Posts
I use an alcohol stove, and it is handy, but you need to test your stove to understand how it's different from other stoves. For instance, they don't like cold weather etc. depending on your weather. Also have a back-up cooking plan, because liquid fuel sure does like to spill/leak.

·
Registered
46 Posts
er6nrider said:
It really depends on your personal situation/needs, and also on what you plan to do/where you go if there's an emergency. No two bug out bags are identical. For example, will you be bugging out with small children, or does anyone in your party have any special needs such as a diabetic, these are the type of questions that you have to ask yourself before you start assembling your BoB.

There are, however, certain items that every BoB should have. Some of the things that I have in my bag are: fixed blade hunting knife, short folding knife, a length of sturdy rope, duct tape, water purification tablets (I have Katadyne brand), freeze dried food enough for at least 3 days (mountain house brand), emergency radio/flashlight with hand crank & solar panel, extra flashlights with spare batteries, ways to start a fire (I have 5 cigarette lighters plus two Ferrell rods). Since I have 3 young kids I also have a small selection of travel games and coloring books to keep them entertained. Other not so obvious items that you might want to consider depending on your needs are things such as baby wipes, tampons/pads, cigarettes, insect repellant spray, sunblock, mosquito netting, etc. Always keep in mind your Space and Weight constraints when putting together your bag. I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean, where it is very hard to own a firearm, but if you have access to one in Portland I would definitely recommend you include one in you BoB, as societal breakdown will be a likely side effect of most disaster scenarios (make sure you train with it first, though). Good luck in putting your bag together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Magus said:
Probably been covered.

How to plan your bug out kit.

1 where are you bugging out from?do you need water, warm clothing,food, ammo, extra fuel etc?

2 Where are you bugging out to?what conditions are on the trip,plan for them!

3 What is between point A and point B?climbing a mountain or crossing a few roads, any places to rest, hunt, re supply?

4 How long will it take you to get there?plan accordingly.three days grub won't do 15 without replenishing.

5 What resources are between point A and B?food, ammo, water,relatives and friends..

6 Any special needs? bring any prescriptions and eye glasses,got kids?wife?with medical issues?pack what you'll need!

7 Will you have to fight, hunt, or both?Pick weapons that can do both!you know where you live,chose wisely.

8 Anyone along for the trip?pack extra if you pick up someone or think you will.
Right on all counts, Magus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea im single and no kids so my bag should be pretty basic supplies. Anyone here know anything about gun laws and military bases? i don't wanna pack one in the bag and then get a random search when driving into my new command and get f***ed. I was gonna call tomorrow but just wondering if anyone has experience with that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.