Bug Out Bag, Ditch Kit

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by SOS.X, Dec 4, 2009.

1. SOS.X

SOS.X SNAFU...

What is the ideal Bug out Bag or Ditch Kit?

The Purpose is to provide you the ability to survive the current situation you find your self facing and travel to or create your own sanctuary until the situation is resolved if it ever is.

I believe the bag should provide you a means to provide for yourself in the following areas, either directly or indirectly.

-Security
    -Shelter (Including Clothing)
    -Sustenance
    -Communication
    -Medical/ Health
    -Personal Information (Including Financial, Insurance, Personal Records)
    -Transportation (Including Land Navigation=On Foot)

This bag should be able to get you through what I believe are the three stages of disaster.
    1. Initial Stage-On set of situation providing primary resources
    2. Sustained Stage- Duration of situation, using emergency resources, providing means to secure stable sources of resources.
    3. Rebuild Stage- Final Stage, rebuilding

Would love to learn what each of you carries in your bags.

2. LVmutineer

LVmutineer Guest

I too have been thinking of seeing other packing lists.

The bug out bags are in the cars. They are basic, 24 hour bags. After 24 hours, if I can't get to the 2 week kit, things get uncomfortable.
    they are black heavy nylon with water resistant spray on the inside. they are about the size of a mummy bag stuff sack. inside that is a kitchen plastic bag to keep the contents dry and the other 1.2 billion uses for a plastic bag. Inside that is a mesh bag that can be pulled out so you can quickly and easily see-then get your hands on the item you want. The mesh bag contains 4 space blankets. 2 enamel metal cups, chemical solid fuel stove, 4 emergency ponchos 15x15 clear tarp. approx 100'x1/8" nylon chord (black) 6"x6" mini frisbe, a coffee can wrapped in 100' of duct tape containing: gauze pads, alcohol pads, band aids, gauze roll, multi-tool, 50 strike anywhere matches, carpenters pencil 3x5 spiral top note pad, small folding knife, packet of sun block, ball compass, 4 gallons worth of 2 part water purification tablets. (I think there's more but I'm not looking at the thing) Also in the mesh bag there is a larger clear can that contains 2 coast guard ration packs (2. 2500 cal bars I think) 4 hot coco packs, 4 instant oatmeal packs, deck of cards.

Might not be obvious; but you cook in the cups and share. The food is designed to provide comfort and keep hunger pains away, not provide balanced nutrition. The kit is limited by space, and is designed to make do for 24 hours. it has to share the "trunk" of my Wrangler with a 4 gallon water container. Also in the "trunk" is a recreation atlas of Nevada, it shows roads AND 4x4 trails AND topography.

Also I purchased a thermo-Lite 2 bivvy. It is about 9"x4" rolled. it was about I can't remember, 13$ or $20. it claims to hold 80% body heat and has a drawstring hood. I'm planning on swapping out the space blankets as money allows, but I've never used it. I was going to experiment on layering it in a 30º sleeping bag. it would give my 2week kit more cold tolerance with little space and weight. Any one used one of these? Also I'm considering a slingshot. I think it would be fun to learn, silent, safer to leave in the trunk than a gun (considering the car theft numbers) and if you've ever been to Southern Nevada, you know, plentiful readily available ammo literally everywhere!

OK so they're nt Bug out bags in the sense that you listed SOS.X, but I just realized that,:eek: and I already typed all the above crap, so I'm posting it anyway:p

The bug out bags are at the moment just the camping gear and 2 weeks of food, but keep in mind, i just started, and started composting for my first spring plant, so there is nothing to sustain in that gear set yet.

what is different is the 200' of 1/2" rope, body belt & belay device that is panic proof and that my kids can operate- in a seismic area, the world ain't flat.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009

3. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

My version of the BOB/72 hour kit

Designed to get to help, or sustain me till help arrives based on 3-day time limit. Three days is kinda iffy now in some scenarios. Mostly I would need to add additional food (MRE's/Camper’s MH meals) and another water bladder to extend the time. This can be the base of further extended kits by adding items to the core group. I can’t carry much weight on my back, thus the game cart, which will allow me to add items if the situation calls for it. The item count is a little high, but most of the items are small and lightweight. Doesn’t weigh as much as you might think. <100# even with the game cart.

72 hour Bug-in/Bug-out Kit

Cabela’s game cart
    Kifaru Marauder back pack
    waterproof gear bag to carry water sensitive items
    walking stick or hiking staff
    sunglasses w/neck lanyard
    2 bandanas
    SAS survival manual
    Glock 21SF
    4 spare magazines in pouches
    Cold Steel ODA field knife & sheath
    Cold Steel Rifleman’s tomahawk
    Leatherman Surge
    Wenger Survivor Swiss Army knife
    small roll brass wire
    small roll Gorilla duct tape
    package medium large reusable zip ties
    dozen nails/spikes
    compass and local area map
    Yaesu VR-500 multi-band radio w/extra batteries
    whistle on neck lanyard
    signal mirror
    Garraty LED windup flashlight
    Mini spray can of bright paint
    Brunton butane lighter
    lifeboat matches and tinder
    Blast Match and tinder
    piece of heavy plastic
    2 GI ponchos w/1 liner
    100 feet 550 cord
    eight tent stakes
    insect repellent
    sun block
    light sticks
    candle lantern & candles
    package of Katadyn Micro-Pur MP-1 purification tablets
    Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter
    hydration bladder
    can/bottle opener
    Tommy cooker & Trioxane fuel
    GI stainless steel folding handle cup (for heating water)
    German GI nesting eating utensils
    large piece heavy duty foil
    coffee/tea/hot chocolate/hot cider packets
    12 Millennium ration bars
    1 ½ pounds jerky
    3 pounds gorp

spare keys
    spare medications
    spare glasses
    packet of important papers
    family photo marked w/names & relationships
    health, illness, & medical information
    phone list/contact list/rendezvous map & plan sheet
    prescriptions
    medical group card
    Social Security card
    driver's license
    check book
    credit card
    plenty of cash
    coins (for pay phones & vending machines)
    personal ditty kit
    change of underwear
    2 changes heavy socks
    spare shoe/boot laces
    diary/journal w/pen
    personal hygiene ditty
    Camper’s toilet paper rolls
    Camper’s soap
    pack towel

first-aid kit
    zip-lock bag
    trauma bandage
    space blanket
    mini-manual
    fever thermometers (oral and/or forehead strip)
    adhesive tape
    alcohol wipes
    aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
    triangle bandage
    Ace Bandage
    Band-aids (strips, finger tip, knuckle, butterfly strips, pads, eye)
    gauze bandage rolls
    sterile gauze pads
    toothache ointment
    ammonia capsules
    first-aid ointment (Betadine or Triple Antibiotic ointment or similar)
    petroleum jelly

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

electrolyte drink mix
    Excedrin
    Chloraseptic throat lozenges/cough drops
    Day Quill caps
    Night Quill caps
    Alka Seltzer
    Anti-diarrhea (Pepto-Bismol tablets)
    Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
    Equate Larotadine allergy medication

Kept with backpack in their own ditty bags, donned as situation requires, put on the game cart, or leave behind

insulated underwear
    ski mask
    heavy boot socks
    Carhartt arctic bibs
    Carhartt arctic parka with hood
    Neos insulated overboots or LaCrosse arctic paks
    Wells Lamont insulated gloves
    2 bandannas

light coveralls
    hiking shoes
    baseball cap or hat
    2 bandannas

Tyvek hooded/booted overall
    P-100 filter & safety goggles (or MSA Millennium CBRN respirator w/3 spare filters)
    Nitrile gloves
    Rubber garden boots
    Roll duct tape

My concept of 'ditch bags' are the equipment and supplies carried aboard a boat or ship for use if you have to abandon the ship.

Ditch Bags

Required bag:
    Immersion suit w/attached whistle, beacon, knife, 3-day standard survival kit, first-aid kit, water bottle, flares, smoke can, water dye can, and dry bag with personal items. (Knife, handgun, magazines, Swiss Army knife, multi-tool, flashlight, Blast-Match, Wet-fire tinder)

Desert & Tropical climates bag
    pith helmet/very large brim hat w/removable neck cover flaps
    anti-glare eye smudge
    sun-glare blindness eye drops
    Body Glove photo chromatic safety sunglasses
    Wiley-X Nerve or Spear goggles
    lightweight nylon/leather desert boots
    lightweight nylon/leather ventilated jungle boots
    2 sets of light-weight khaki pants & shirt
    light jacket or sweater
    12 pairs socks
    6 bandanas
    hammock w/mosquito bar
    mosquito head net/extra mosquito bar
    foot powder
    sunscreen lotion
    rehydration drink/drink mix
    2 2-quart canteens w/pouches & shoulder straps
    water purification tablets
    canvas water cooling bag
    insect repellent
    salt packets (for leech removal)
    antiseptic wipes (to clean all minor scratches, etc)

Temperate climate bag
    insect repellent
    wide brim hat w/chin strap
    2 sets medium weight khaki pants & shirt
    6 bandannas
    6 pair lightweight liner socks
    6 pair medium weight boot socks
    6 pair undershorts
    6 undershirts
    leather belt
    suspenders
    light jacket/sweater
    GI poncho w/Ranger Rick liner
    Outback Drover's coat w/liner heavy coat
    clothing sewing/repair kit
    Red Wing leather work boots
    light leather gloves
    camp mocassins
    athletic shoes
    Kifaru Regulator mid-weight sleeping bag system
    Kifaru Para-Hootch shelter w/poles, rope, & stakes
    Therm-a-rest Prolight 4 large insulated sleep pad

Arctic climate bag
    ski mask/insulated face mask
    breath warmer mask
    wool neck scarf
    anti-glare eye smudge
    sun-glare blindness eye drops
    sunscreen lotion
    high protein/high energy bars/foods
    woman's urine diverter
    weapons dry lubricant
    avalanche survival airbag
    30' fluorescent orange trailing rope (avalanche burial locator)
    pair of ice escape picks
    collapsible avalanche probe
    compact snow shovel
    Lithium batteries for all battery equipment
    NEOS insulated over boot
    set of wool or pile pants & shirt
    2 sets light insulated underwear
    6 pairs heavy wool boot socks
    2 pairs medium gloves
    1 pair heavy gloves/mittens
    Complete Kifaru 24/7 Pack-Lock arctic winter clothing system
    Complete Kifaru Regulator arctic sleeping bag system
    Kifaru Para-Hootch shelter w/poles, rope, & stakes
    Therm-a-rest Prolight 4 large insulated sleep pad

4. Kriket

Kriket Liq Plumber on ur tin hat

I have those three stages broken up into 3 bags, the bug out bag, that is your stage one - get out. The hunker down bag, which is stage two, stay alive on your own and then if you move into stage three you need to start putting down roots, like gardening and hunting. If you are displaced. If I am at home for stage three things are 'easier' as everything is in place.

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Kriket, are you a new member, introduce yourself on the introduction forum. If so WELCOME from a long time preparer. Look forward to your further replies and posts.:wave:

6. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Wow. Seeing Jerry D. Young's list . . . I've gone from feeling pretty good about my bag to terribly under-prepared!

7. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

He left off pack mule of the list...........:D

8. Seneschal

Seneschal Crazy snake chick

Does anybody carry with them a "portable" BOB? Of sorts, I mean. I've heard about people who always carry something of the sort on a lanyard necklace or in their purse/pocket/etc. Just in case something happens when you're away from car/home.

Usually it includes things like a reflective surface for a signal mirror, string and/or some tape, a pocket knife, emergency whistle, etc. Anyone do that or have any ideas for that?

9. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad about having everything in the BOB or Ditch bags. I don't. They are more a quide for as many possibilities as possible. Not all the items are useful for every event.

I do have the next best thing to a pack mule for my BOB. A game cart. I have a bad back, among several other physical ailments and can only carry ten to fifteen pounds. With the game cart I can easily carry over a hundred pounds on any ground you can walk on, and if I take it real easy, on good ground, up to three hundred.

10. Scavengerhill

Scavengerhill Off Grid Farmer

if you have a weapon you're comfortable with and a good coat as well as boots you can get petty far. familiarity with the land helps, as far as edible and medicinal plants. I'm an herbalist in training and spend most of my time wandering around in the woods with the dogs. Magnesium fire starters! the rod with attached bit of metal is the cheapest one I believe- and incredibly effective. Know how to use one.

11. WiseTioga

WiseTioga Newbie

I've noticed that almost everyone in almost all of the survival/prepping forums/web-sites have their own name for their kits "Bug-Out Bag", "G.O.O.D. (Get Out Of Dodge) Bag" "Personal Survival Kit", Relocation Kit", Etc., Etc. I've also noted that their bags contain a very wide range of items. A few (well actually more than a few but not all) items that match every one else and a lot of items that don't match up. This can of course be because everyone does not live in the same local, have the same problems to deal with, etc., etc. My personal feeling about this subject is that we all need to do a better job of thinking this through and plan more carefully. My personal take on the subject is that whatever you call your bag, it should be designed to support you (and you alone as everyone in your family/survival group should have their own personal bag) for a period of up to 168 Hr's. (seven [7] days or one [1] week) The old 72-Hr. Bag just does not cut it in my estimation. The big difference that I see between 72 and 168 Hr's. is the additional food and water. You can't carry a weeks worth of water so you'll have to plan on getting additional water as you travel and pureifying it as you go. A weeks worth of food is not a real problem with all of the freeze-dried, MRE's, Etc. that are available. I call my kit a PSRK (Personal Survival and Relocation Kit) and see it as getting me from where-ever I am when TSHTF to my home or to my Survival Refuge/Retreat. That means that I must always have it with me. "The Best Kit In The World Is NO Good If It Is NOT Immediately Available To You". I break my kit into Three [3] components. PSK-1 (MUST have items - always have it on my person - NO exceptions), PSK-2 (not MUST have but really want to have items - not always on my person but always fairly close at hand at all times), PSK-3 Support & back-up items (take with me if at all possible but can survive without if absolutly necessary) As close to hand as is possible. Is this the perfect way of dealing with this matter? Works for me in my situation. YMMV. Will talk about whats in the various kits another time.

Live Long, Prosper, Be Well, Be Happy
    W.T.

12. SOS.X

SOS.X SNAFU...

Great,
    Keep the ideas flowing ladies and gents, I do have a small BOB, but I am working on a more advance and prepared one, besides the items what do you carry them in...?