Bruschetta with French bread

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by OldFashionedMama, Aug 16, 2010.

1. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

If you make your own crusty breads, good for you-I can't bake :( But if you're like me or just plain pinched for time, I get a loaf of Wal Mart's french bread. It's a $1.50 people-can't beat that!!!

Bruschetta

3 medium/large sized tomatoes
    1 head of garlic, cloves divided and peeled
    5-6 large fresh basil leaves
    small handful of fresh oregano leaves
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    olive oil
    balsamic vinegar

Chop tomatoes and garlic coarsely, chop basil leaves, add whole oregano leaves, salt and pepper. Drizzle the mixture with olive oil and toss-repeat if there isn't an even coating. Add a splash of the balsamic vinegar for flavor (if I had to guess at how much I put in there, I'd say about 2 tablespoons)

Cut bread into approx 2in thick slices and brush the tops with a thin layer of butter. Spoon generous helpings of the bruschetta on tops and bake in a 375F degree oven for about 20 minutes.

2. SaskDame

SaskDame Well-Known Member

Thanks, looks good.

I am shopping for a new dough mixer, wore the last one out. This will motivate me to move it up the to do/get list.

3. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I make my Bruchetta with french bread cut lengthwise. Spread with mayonaise, add sliced smoked pork loin & ham, thin slices of red onion, green & red peppers and swiss cheese. Wrap tightly in foil. Place sandwich on a baking sheet cover with another baking sheet & set 2 cast iron skillets on top. This presses the sandwich. Bake @ 350* for about 20-30 min. (Be careful of the hot skillets when you take out of the oven.) Slice into serving sizes when done. Yummmm!!!!!

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Mmmmm...you're all making me hungry!

5. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Why Hello, Clarice...

[​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't help myself....LOL! Sounds like an awesome recipe!

I just realized something-in mine, that oven temp should say 350F NOT 375. Oopsie...

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

IMHO try to get an OLD (mine is 50+ years) MixMaster at a flea market/swap meet or garage sale

that vintage stuff is pretty bullet-proof (maybe LITERALLY :eek: , but don't quote me on it ;) )

whenever I am at Wally Mart I always goto the 'yesterday's fresh' cart they have by the bakery, it's 1/2-off!