Brains hurt, need help

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Kriket, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Kriket

Kriket Liq Plumber on ur tin hat

So babies, life, changing jobs and generally BS have gotten in my way, but now things are settling down, and I am finding myself in a very different position than I was when I started!

I need help with an evacuation plan for 2 adults, a 14m old, a cat, an australian shephard who is my 'survival dog' and a min pin who is... not.

I have 72h kits for DH and I, and the baby and aussie. BoB load and go style. I also have a larger 'survival' kit for the family. (it could set up a campsite) As the [email protected] neighbors were shooting fireworks on my roof I realized I should have a solid evacuation plan. I surfed the forum a little, and am not really seeing what I wanted to see, so I'll ask.

I'm thinking about having a "graded" system, something like this

Plan Echo - Short term evacuation, just for the day. We had a recycle center catch fire and if we were on the other side of the wind we would have needed to leave our house for the day.
    Plan Delta - Overnight evacuation, take both dogs and the cat/leave the animals with food for one night (for events like injury requiring a hospital stay etc)
    Plan Charlie - 3-5 Day evacuation,
    Plan Delta - Evacuate to shelter
    Plan Alpha - Evacuate to Canada

I guess I can't get my thoughts together on what to do with the animals, and the second car for evac. I spend most of my thoughts on hunkering down. Evac is one of those too many variables things. :gaah: Any suggestions? My plans get vaguer the more "hot" the situation.

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Looks like you are on the right track.

E - Your survival kit would consist of a baby-bag and your purse. Finding a mall to "hang-out" in would give you your shelter, a place to get food, washrooms and water. You could wait for the "all-clear" to head back home. Good for day-time BugOut but not good for night-time BugOut.

D - Your survival kit could consist of a credit-card with some open space on it and head to the nearest decent motel / hotel. A warm bed and a shower would take care of your immediate needs and the continental breakfast would keep your belly happy.

C - Plan for extended camping out in the bush. Camping trailer is pre-setup with solar panels for power, 3,000 watt inverter for power off of the batteries, fresh-water in the tanks, clothing / bedding always ready to use and as much dry-food / canned-food as you can stuff into the trailer. Only need to pack the fresh-food from your fridge and you are ready to go.

C - Boondocking is stealth-camping within city limits. Combine a "work-truck" with an "enclosed utility trailer" and turn the two into a camping unit. Inside the trailer you have cooking / sleeping space and hiding under a commercial-style topper on the truck you have your food-supplies. Combine all that with hidden solar panels (hiding under ladders works very well) and you have stealth-camping ability with no sounds (gas generator) to bring the curious towards your hiding place.

B - What kind of shelter? Personal hard-walled shelter like a cabin in the woods or a government provided shelter? See plan C (and alternate plan C) for a mobile shelter.

A - Canada - really? Get your passport ready, purchase some raw land and get it prepared to live on. Call it your "summer cabin" for lack of a better term and make sure that you can stay there for a couple weeks at a time, both winter and summer-time. Get to know the border-guards very (VERY) well in a good way because if something would make you want to head north, many of your neighbors in Ohio will also be thinking the same thing. IF the border-guards know you and know that you have a place in Canada they will be more likely to let you through - the others would be turned away - and - possibly with a fight.

3. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

For echo, delta, and charlie, I would suggest having a list of dog sitters, pet boarding facilities, emergency vets, and pet-friendly hotels in your area and for cities along likely evacuation routes. You might also have ready-to-go file folders with pet veterinary, licensing, and vaccine records. You might look at dog crates that could be dissassembled or nested together so that you could show shelter authorities that the dogs can be crated for the night, etc. In hurricane-prone areas, authorities are starting to develop plans where if people go to a shelter at say an elementary school, their pets can be kept in another wing in kennels or crates.

4. Kriket

Kriket Liq Plumber on ur tin hat

I was actually thinking shelter-shelter, we live near WPAFB, and in the event or martial law, or mandatory evac to a designated shelter, I would probably go, then reevaluate. I feel like evacuating with the sheeple would be a bad idea, I also feel like NOT being a sheeple could present it's own issues. :( Like I said before, I am more incline to hunker down. I don't like not knowing the turf.
    Canada really, my BIL live in Mississauga, I would probably try to stay with/ pick him up if it were that bad. He is a hearty farm boy and a bachelor, it would be in everybody's best interests to be together.

Can Americans own Canadian land?

I already have a favourite border guard, her name is Sandy and she works on the Sarnia/Michigan line. She has been a guard since I was a kid, and we go back and forth 4-6x a year.

Some very excellent points, good things to think on. I have to sit down with DH and put some things on paper.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I believe that land-ownership can happen from either side of the border and that primary residence must be maintained on one side or the other. I know many Canadians who own condo's / houses / land / RV-plots in the US (mostly in Arizona and Florida for the SnowBirds).

For the snow-birds, I believe that they need to show residence in Canada for 3 months out of the year.

6. Rourke

Rourke Human

Honestly - with the information provided - I think the recommendations thus far are right one.

Can you tell us a little bit about your current location? Any chance of relocating? Are you looking at evacuation as your immeadiate response to crisis? I mean - is this your only option?

Again - excellant advice so far -

Rourke

7. kristyle

kristyle Member

good thread..thanks for sharing..