Prepared Society Forum banner

Boy Scout Handbook...

12K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  Kenny78 
#1 ·
I was cleaning out some stuff in the basement and ran across my old (circa mid-60s) Boy Scout Handbook. I had forgotten what a wealth of info was in it. I Googled it and you can get the 2010 from Amazon books for $15. You might find one cheaper locally. :2thumb:

Tim

#5 ·
We were at an auction yesterday( yeah, another one) and they had 2 BS manuals; one from 1919 and the other from 1924. I bid on each one until it hit $60. They ended up going for a little over $100 each.

#6 ·
:eek: Wow! A quick glance at e-bay showed many available of different years. I didn't look through all of them but the ones I did see were no where near $60, much less $100. I'm sure the 2010 manual is better by far. They have come a long way since I was a Scout. ;)

Tim

#7 ·
:eek: Wow! A quick glance at e-bay showed many available of different years. I didn't look through all of them but the ones I did see were no where near $60, much less $100. I'm sure the 2010 manual is better by far. They have come a long way since I was a Scout. ;)

Tim
They've changed the focus considerably on the new editions. Some good and some bad. More low impact camping. More reliance on gear and modern technology. More social issues. Less wilderness/self-sufficient stuff.

#8 ·
I found a copy of the original 1911 Boy Scout Manual if anybody wants it. It's 554 pages and just shy of 10 megabytes in size in PDF format.
Hey Allen, I would love to get my hands on that! Can you provide a link or pm some info on how to find it?

thanks,

V.

#12 ·
#18 ·
Originally Posted by allen_idaho View Post
I found a copy of the original 1911 Boy Scout Manual if anybody wants it. It's 554 pages and just shy of 10 megabytes in size in PDF format.

I would love a copy of this
Would you email me a copy?
I found a site with downloadable forms from .pdf to e-books ... pick-n-choose and hit the download button.

Boy Scouts Handbook by Boy Scouts of America - Free eBook

#19 ·
I have been involved in scouting since the mid 80's going from a tiger to an Eagle. I have seen many changes within scouting and the formats that are followed. I have always felt that scouting is on of the best extra curricular activities that a young boy can partake in. I am now a Cub Master and an Assistant Scout Master for my local area. IMO the books can be a very useful tool during rough times.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone,

I am the Cubmaster for our pack and actually collect scout handbooks. One resource I found for cheap handbook if you'd just like to have one to thumb through I have a McCay's Books locallly that all scout books are only $.50 each. I've actually scored a few 1950's-1970's handbooks there as well as other places.

Here is another link for y'all:
The Dump - Scouts

#21 ·
I just wanted to say watch the used book stores. I've gotten the Boy Scout Handbook and some other good outdoors / old time crafting books. And some of these stores do trade-ins, so you can bring in some books you no longer need and trade for others, so you don't have to use any cash.

#24 ·
I have both my father's Boy Scout Handbook from the early 1950's and my handbook from the mid 1970's. Even in the 1970's the handbook was significantly neutered and watered down from what it had been in the 1950's. I've seen a circa 2000 handbook and it is far worse. Not only has the outdoors man aspect been greatly reduced (some of which is to be expected given the importance of technology), but it is greatly watered down with respect to speaking about issues of morality and patriotism. Lots of feelgoodisms and self esteem boosting non-sense as well.

Looking back on it, I think the high water mark of Scouting in the U.S. was probably sometime in the 1960's.

BTW, when I was in Scouting in the mid 1970's we had to wear the somewhat fruity uniforms that BSA had commissioned some French fashion designer to create. My father's Scouting uniform from the 1950's was much better looking and more practical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.