Boy Scout Handbook...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by TimB, May 15, 2010.

1. TimB

TimB Member

I was cleaning out some stuff in the basement and ran across my old (circa mid-60s) Boy Scout Handbook. I had forgotten what a wealth of info was in it. I Googled it and you can get the 2010 from Amazon books for $15. You might find one cheaper locally. :2thumb:

Tim

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

You should compare it to a current version. There is world of difference!

3. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I found a copy of the original 1911 Boy Scout Manual if anybody wants it. It's 554 pages and just shy of 10 megabytes in size in PDF format.

4. pauldemetris

pauldemetris New Member

copy

yes i would like a copy..Thanks in advance !!!

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We were at an auction yesterday( yeah, another one) and they had 2 BS manuals; one from 1919 and the other from 1924. I bid on each one until it hit $60. They ended up going for a little over $100 each.

6. TimB

TimB Member

:eek: Wow! A quick glance at e-bay showed many available of different years. I didn't look through all of them but the ones I did see were no where near $60, much less $100. I'm sure the 2010 manual is better by far. They have come a long way since I was a Scout. ;)

Tim

7. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

They've changed the focus considerably on the new editions. Some good and some bad. More low impact camping. More reliance on gear and modern technology. More social issues. Less wilderness/self-sufficient stuff.

8. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Hey Allen, I would love to get my hands on that! Can you provide a link or pm some info on how to find it?

thanks,

V.

9. saintsfanbrian

saintsfanbrian Liberty or Death!!!!

I too would love a copy of that. If you can get it up somewhere to download that would be AWESOME!!

10. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I too would like to get any copies of Scout materials. I was asked this past weekend to be be our Pack Committee Chairperson so I'll be needing lots of materials...

11. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

Alright everybody. I found it online again so you can read or download it to your hearts content. Just aim your browsers at:

Boy Scouts Handbook

12. Vertigo

Vertigo Member

Thanks for that allen, that will be an interesting read!

V.

13. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Thanks Allen!!

14. trishja

trishja Member

handbook

Originally Posted by allen_idaho View Post
    I found a copy of the original 1911 Boy Scout Manual if anybody wants it. It's 554 pages and just shy of 10 megabytes in size in PDF format.

I would love a copy of this
    Would you email me a copy?

15. iouJC

iouJC MAGIC Bullet

16. BoyScoutSurvivor

BoyScoutSurvivor Active Member

I had bought a 60 versin of the BSA book and almost threw away my 2000 edition. The newer one is junk in comparision.

17. SnakeDoc

SnakeDoc Well-Known Member

I have a 1960's edition as well. There are sections on US history and why it is special to be an American Boy Scout. Both are now absent from the new editions.

18. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I found a site with downloadable forms from .pdf to e-books ... pick-n-choose and hit the download button.

Boy Scouts Handbook by Boy Scouts of America - Free eBook

19. Lonewufcry

Lonewufcry Lonewufcry

I have been involved in scouting since the mid 80's going from a tiger to an Eagle. I have seen many changes within scouting and the formats that are followed. I have always felt that scouting is on of the best extra curricular activities that a young boy can partake in. I am now a Cub Master and an Assistant Scout Master for my local area. IMO the books can be a very useful tool during rough times.

20. shrek

shrek New Member

Hi everyone,

I am the Cubmaster for our pack and actually collect scout handbooks. One resource I found for cheap handbook if you'd just like to have one to thumb through I have a McCay's Books locallly that all scout books are only $.50 each. I've actually scored a few 1950's-1970's handbooks there as well as other places.

Here is another link for y'all:
    The Dump - Scouts

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010