BOV support utility trailer

Discussion in 'Vehicle & Transportation' started by ajsmith, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on having or building a utility trailer to support your BOV? I'm building a pick-up box trailer and may try to set it up to haul extra fuel, propane and water along with extra supplies.

2. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea. Besides the supplies, you can carry some tools and other things that often can't be carried due to space restrictions of SUVs, and even pickups. If you add a ladder rack to it, with a couple of solar panels you can have a battery kept charged to run the fuel and water transfer pumps if you use them, as well as carry long objects that wouldn't fit in the bed. I would try to use the same wheels and tires the towing vehicle uses, with several spares.

Just my opinion.

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

We have several threads on BOV-trailers ongoing on the site right now. Jeepers seem to have a love-affair with trailers and off-roading - I wonder why :rolleyes:

I would recommend that if you were to do a trailer, do a trailer with portal-axles where the centerline of the wheel is lower than the center-line of the axle joining the wheels together. That way you will not (or be less likely to) hangup on the axle when travelling the rougher roads.

In the picture below, you can see what I did for a portal-axle on one of my tent trailers that I no longer have

[​IMG]

When I towed that trailer, it rode level behind my Jeep with your basic hitch on the bumper .. and my Jeep rode on 38" tires at the time.

4. ajsmith

Thats a very good idea about the solar panels. I was thinking of putting a canopy on it with a Yakima roof rack. A tool box, and a couple batteries, mounted to the "A" frame up front. I might be able to rig up a covered slide under the roof rack for the solar panels. When slid out they would be uncovered and adjustable. Thanks for the feed back!!!

5. ajsmith

Nice axel on your tent trailer Naekid. I had a pick-up chassie and box given to me so until I can up grade I'll use the axel thats under it, a ford 9". I've been looking for some time and haven't found much on purpose built utility trailers (the purpose being bug out). I am a computer moron so I may not be looking in the right place. Thanks for the input

6. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I would probably go with a smaller trailer fitted with a diesel generator/welder, an air compressor, a couple of spare tires, a floor jack, a tool box, and an oxygen and acetylene bottle w/ cutting torch. Sort of a small repair shop if you will. When not in use, you can just park it and use it.

If you are using something the size of an old pickup box or larger, you should still have plenty of room for extra supplies. And if you top it with a rack, you could double your storage capacity.

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I personally don't care for the "truck-box-trailer". I would prefer to have something that is very light to tow, strong enough to haul everything that you need and still manoeuvrable by hand if at all possible.

That trailer that I pictured above followed my Jeep down the highway, on back-roads, through streams (upto 24" deep), through mud, over rocks and it never complained the whole time. I had no problems un-hooking and moving the trailer by hand, by myself, even loaded with my camping gear. I will admit that I did have some troubles pulling the trailer up small inclines by hand, but, that would be true of virtually any weight more than a small wheelbarrow.

I wish that I kept that trailer, but, a friend needed it more than me, and, I needed the space more than them. :gaah: At that time, I had 3 trailers, so, I needed to make some room. :cry:

I did keep the axle, and, I do plan to build a new trailer again, but this time, it will be utility instead of camping.

If you like, here is a thread about some other BOV-Trailers: http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f21/b-o-v-g-o-o-d-video-2837/

8. ajsmith

Thanks NaeKid, I'm not to worried about the size and weight of the trailer, it will tow nicely behind my F-350 crew cab. It's just a couple of stream crossings and a small head sized boulder patch to get where I need to go. After I get a few more bills paid off I will build a small utility trailer to pull behind my jeep.
    I am going to check out that thread now, Thanks again !!

9. TimB

TimB Member

One recommendation I'll make is to use a pintle hitch if you plan to tow off-road. It will allow more movement at the hitch instead of binding like a ball hitch.

Tim

10. ajsmith

Thanks Tim, never used a pintle before but I here great things about them. I may make it so I can use both, make a reciever on the trailer and just swap out when needed. Don't know if it's really necessary tho....should probably just go with the pintle

11. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Top of my head -

If you think you might be evacuating from a weather emergency like a hurricane or heavy rains and potential flooding, you should think about something covered to shelter your gear from the elements. In fact, it is probably a good idea to have a covered trailer to protect your stuff from thieves.

You should probably have a trailer lock for the hitch, a spare tire, and an appropriate jack.

12. ajsmith

Got it covered...lol..will be putting a canopy on it. Been doing some reserch and I'm thinking I go with a canopy, tool box up front, water tank under in the frame rails, use the stock fuel tank, make holders for two propane tanks, probably a swing out tire carrier on the back modified to carry two spares. Oh, also up front I'll have a battery or two to run the on board pumps for the fuel and water and maybe an inverter for 110v. I'll either have a locking hitch or make it removable to switch out from 2" ball to pintle. On the canopy I'll have a roof rack and possibly one or two solar panels, a high lift jack, an ax and a shovel.
    As I live in the north west, what I'll most likely be evacuating from will be earth quake or possibly a volcanic eruption. Most realistic, economic problems
    Good ideas GatorDude thanks for the imput...

13. Tex

Tex Pincushion

The best BOV trailer I've seen was owned by a guy in the local Jeep club. It had an off road suspension, water storage, fuel storage, a fold out propane grill, and a pop up tent on the roof. I'm sure it was a little heavy for most Jeeps off road, but he had 39" tires, Dana 60 axles, and a Hemi under the hood.

14. ajsmith

Yeah Thanks Tex, the other day I stumbled across ih8mud.com and expedition trailers.com, there is a huge amount of information and pictures. The RTT (roof top tent) looks like it might be a nice addition to a bug out trailer. Most of those guys have camp trailers that would be good at doubling as a "BOT"

15. bclark

bclark New Member

I built one for my jeep. It is not complete yet, I plan to mount a rack up top and a rack in the front to hold a battery and propane tank. I have seriously considered adding a solar panel as well - to at least trickle charge the battery.

I load it with nice to have stuff with the understanding that if I had to I could dump the trailer and be ok.

[​IMG]

16. ajsmith

In case anyone is interested I've got the cab off the chassis, removed all the gas and brake lines, extra fuel tank and cut the frame. Now I just have to notch and bend the frame rails get the material for the tongue and start welding.

17. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Show us some pics as the project comes along!

18. ajsmith

Looks like a nice set-up bclark, what did you use for an axel? I hear you can get 3500 lb. trailer axels for around $200. I will be looking into building a completly custom home built trailer for my Jeep after I get this stripped down pickup turned into a trailer. The price was right on this thing...free

19. ajsmith

Hey OldCootHillbilly, I'll try to post some pics soon. My biggest problem is I'm a complete computer moron, so I'll have to inlist some help. I'll get them as soon as I can.

20. ajsmith

OK I'm trying to post some pics. hope it works

Attached Files: