Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere or not, but Border's Bookstores (and Waldenbooks, their subsidiary) is closing up for good. Even though I normally shop at Barnes and Noble, it's sad to see it go; one less place in the world to buy books.

As a result, all of their stock is 20% - 40% off right now. I'm sure that prices will drop further as the end date gets closer, but so will the selection. I stopped by yesterday and was amazed at how packed was the store. I chatted with an older lady in line (which was quite long) and we commented that for all the talk about how people don't read anymore, there were certainly a bunch of people out to buy books! I bought a replacement hardcover of a book which I had loaned out, cost me around $25 when it first came out, I got it for $3.20 yesterday. Could be a good time to stock up on some books, maybe even do some Christmas shopping and save some money. I plan to go back on Monday and do a little more shopping.

I believe I read that they are closing around 400 stores and their warehouses and headquarters. I know that I usually see around 10 people working there at a time, figure there are another 10 not working at any given time.... that's 8000 people out of work, just from the store level. Probably another fifty senior managers, maybe another 200 at headquarters, not sure about the warehouses, delivery drivers, the staff of any Waldenbooks still in existence (can't recall the last time I saw one of those) . . . I'd say we're looking at easily another 10,000 people in this country without jobs. That doesn't even include the incidental job loss of distributors who won't need as many employees, malls that ill have huge empty stores they can't afford so they will fire suppport staff.... This is going to be another hit to the economy.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
You bring up some good points. My first thought when I heard this on the news was self centered-"Hey, I can get some good deals!" but you're exactly right...the last thing we need right now is a relatively large corporation (of any type) going under and releasing that many more people into the job market. I guess with Amazon and other discounters it's just tough to compete.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
:(Sad , but one of many that is on the horizon…Since the influx of 401 K money into businesses I believe there has been an artificial growth that otherwise would not be in existence. If not for the 401 K plan the majority of people would have never invested in stocks which have artificially inflated all of these businesses. If a retail business grows at 10% by building new store’s, then their stock grows and they can build more stores, a growth that is not supported by actual consumption but by investment for stock growth and income for the CFO and board members. I am sure that is just the beginning of future empty stores..:(

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I think we're going to see the luxury type stores take the first hits-book stores, $4coffee shops, that type of thing...people will spend money on what they NEED rather than what they want, so retail places will close, more people will be out of work...it will spiral out of control.

Not an original idea, I realize this has been talked about at great length, but it does seem to be happening here.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere or not, but Border's Bookstores (and Waldenbooks, their subsidiary) is closing up for good. Even though I normally shop at Barnes and Noble, it's sad to see it go; one less place in the world to buy books.

As a result, all of their stock is 20% - 40% off right now. I'm sure that prices will drop further as the end date gets closer, but so will the selection. I stopped by yesterday and was amazed at how packed was the store. I chatted with an older lady in line (which was quite long) and we commented that for all the talk about how people don't read anymore, there were certainly a bunch of people out to buy books! I bought a replacement hardcover of a book which I had loaned out, cost me around $25 when it first came out, I got it for $3.20 yesterday. Could be a good time to stock up on some books, maybe even do some Christmas shopping and save some money. I plan to go back on Monday and do a little more shopping.

I believe I read that they are closing around 400 stores and their warehouses and headquarters. I know that I usually see around 10 people working there at a time, figure there are another 10 not working at any given time.... that's 8000 people out of work, just from the store level. Probably another fifty senior managers, maybe another 200 at headquarters, not sure about the warehouses, delivery drivers, the staff of any Waldenbooks still in existence (can't recall the last time I saw one of those) . . . I'd say we're looking at easily another 10,000 people in this country without jobs. That doesn't even include the incidental job loss of distributors who won't need as many employees, malls that ill have huge empty stores they can't afford so they will fire suppport staff.... This is going to be another hit to the economy.
What a shame,more jobs gone.
We had to buy a lawn mower with a bag on it for composting leaves,we'r too old to keep raking and shredding them ourselves.
I took one back from WalMart because the cheap plastic wheels were shattered in the box.
We passed a Sears store that was closing for good.Ssure enough I got a Craftsman $400 mower for $259.
I felt quilty buying it,knowing it was the managers and others last days of employment.I did'nt get to enjoy the good deal because I was so sad about the people losing jobs . :(

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It's a good time to stock up on books you can read after the collapse. One thing I haven't bought yet are books. There aren't any Borders stores in my area either.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
It's a good time to stock up on books you can read after the collapse. One thing I haven't bought yet are books. There aren't any Borders stores in my area either.
Books will still be here if the web or society breaks down.I have some books but can always use more.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I for one wont miss them. I was never a fan of big book store chains, I always preferred my local used book store.
Like we didnt all see this coming when AMZN came along, Im suprised they lasted this long.
I dont see myself getting into the ebook thing, I guess Im relatively old, and I love to read. Something to be said for having the book in hand.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I felt quilty buying it,knowing it was the managers and others last days of employment.I did'nt get to enjoy the good deal because I was so sad about the people losing jobs . :(
Yeah, I mentioned to the lady with whom I was chatting in line that I felt a bit like a vulture, picking over the bones of a carcass.

The other thing that struck me was a comment which she made. We were saying that we could knock out some gift shopping, and she said, "I'm going to do it now while I have a little spare money, because who knows what tomorrow will bring. Things don't look good, it's got me worried." This was a woman who was probably in her late sixties, early seventies... looks like everyone is nervous.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I feel bad for some of the people at our Borders because they've worked there since the store opened here 8 years ago.

However, I haven't been able to afford Borders very often. I hate to say it but I'd write down titles and authors and go home and check Amazon, where I often found the books, used, very cheap. I'm sorry to have contributed to Borders' closing, but I have to spread my money as far as it will go.

Our Borders store has been pretty sarcastic about the internet and amazon. They closed off their restrooms with rolls of banner paper and have a sign saying "restrooms available online". Tacky, but I'm sure it makes them feel better to express their point.

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts
I'm not surprised to see them go. When they first opened in my area, probably close to 20 years ago, it was the place to go for a great selection. But since they were the only place you simply paid retail and had no other choice. With other sellers, like Amazon, who are willing to cut the consumer a break and offer a discount I would have liked to see Borders do so too. Instead, they stuck to retail pricing and (I believe) made most who shopped their feel like they were getting taken. Finally, they got into the movies and music side pretty heavily just a few years before the whole iTunes and streaming video scene started. Again trying to stick to selling music and videos at retail pricing just hurt them and trying to sell whole CDs when many were changing to buying by the song instead didn't help either.

We all look for details on food and such and have no problems with going to a different store when they have a deal on pasta, or canned goods or wheat or chicken or... so why should buying books be any different? They did not change with the market. They refused to be competitive. They pretty much did themselves in.

Harsh maybe, but definitely true.

Way back I bought my share of books from them but for years now I just can't see spending 20-40% more for the exact same product.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our Borders store has been pretty sarcastic about the internet and amazon. They closed off their restrooms with rolls of banner paper and have a sign saying "restrooms available online". Tacky, but I'm sure it makes them feel better to express their point.
I think that is hilarious!

I don't really feel bad about Border's in particular, I just don't like seeing bookstores close in general. I really love books, and I hate what is happening with all of these stupid E-readers and the digital book nonsense.

As for buying used books... I don't know. I have bought a few used books and been happy with their condition, but I have also bought multiple copies of a book which I had bought first bought used because when it showed up at my house, it was definitely not in "like new" condition. I am very picky about the condition in which my library is kept, and I don't like buying books which are beat up. Now, if it is an antique volume, that is a different story; I take what I can get.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Borders always struck me as, well, yuppy-like. You pay full price for the books because you're paying for the environment. That's fine - nothing wrong with that as long as there are enough people who can support it. I guess in these times, there aren't enough people.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Couldnt agree more Goshen.

I have never cared much about the condition, as long as its readable.
I went to Borders once to get a last minute gift for someone, called my gf and she went to the Borders website and they were selling the same book online for half the price.
Pfft.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Borders always struck me as, well, yuppy-like. You pay full price for the books because you're paying for the environment. That's fine - nothing wrong with that as long as there are enough people who can support it. I guess in these times, there aren't enough people.
Ha! That's kind of funny to me, as I have always seen Border's as sort of a "ghetto" barnes and noble. But then, I live at the epicenter of yuppie-ness. :D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey folks,

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but I just got an email from Borders saying that they are only open for ten more days, and everything is 60-80% off.

The thing that caught my eye, is that they are selling all of their fixtures, shelving, tables, cafe equipment.... everything in the store! I plan on running over there today, could be some good deals! As I recall, all of their furniture is wooden, and anything built for retail sales is built to hold up pretty well.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Hey folks,

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but I just got an email from Borders saying that they are only open for ten more days, and everything is 60-80% off.

The thing that caught my eye, is that they are selling all of their fixtures, shelving, tables, cafe equipment.... everything in the store! I plan on running over there today, could be some good deals! As I recall, all of their furniture is wooden, and anything built for retail sales is built to hold up pretty well.
my advice is don't get your hopes up too much... I went to 3 different Borders that were closing and they had everything priced as if it had gold stashed inside it :gaah:

on a side note, Borders devalued their own brand by offering 40% coupons every other week, offering free trial access to the online store (which was abused significantly) also they bought Amazon a few years ago when they saw the writing on the (virtual?) wall, they could'vge changed the structure (slightly) of Amazon to extend the life of the RW stores by a couple years, but IMHO that would've been a temporary measure at best...

Borders Group has realized that the profits of 'no overhead' online selling outstrips brick & mortar by a significant amount so why continue with a second-rate business model, much to the dismay of many of us. I don't understand how Barnes & Noble is still in business myself; with a substandard selection, high prices, and generally haughty staff, I personally will use them as a LAST resort.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was in Borders Wednesday of last week. Not much left. Most of the fixtures had sold signs on them. Ebooks may be the wave of the future but I still find something comforting about being able to turn a page. I used to shop at my local bookstore, until it closed a couple of years ago. I suppose an e-reader is in my future right after a really good water filter and a generator.
Take care,
Moose

1 - 18 of 18 Posts