Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No gun threads...ok,so what's your non-gun friend in need?

For myself,there's an Egyptian battle axe on the wall beside me I actually repelled invaders with once,a Katana in the hall and a boar's head Viking type war axe further in.for general carry I use a 4' rock maple "pimp cane" topped with a metal skull and a few hours worth of stick fighting training behind it and a Spyderco police knife in my pocket, I've used that sucker too but its messy!:gaah:

What's a melee weapon in your book?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have several staffs around the house made of wood, several axes and knives.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I love my ColdSteel Bushman Knife (hollow-handle) designed to be mounted on a spear-shaft ... have spear-shaft as well. The model that I have isn't welded closed (as shown in the video below) and it has a factory-placed hole in the handle for screwing the knife to a wooden-shafe.

Other toys also hanging around the house ...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
No gun???

:eek::eek:.. I have a T.O.A.D. ( Tactical Offensive Assault Device ) It would make Jim Bowie drool and have lustful thoughts.. hand made.. partly by me and finished by a custom knife maker friend who has crossed over the river... I still have my Marine issue kbar that I kept!! :D.. nice old recurve bow.. on and on.. many knives even a sword.. but when I get to any of those there will be a pile of empty brass around me...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm actually much better prepared for melee combat than for a firefight.

I've got ten swords, a short sword, a viking bearded axe, a couple of tomahawks,a mace, escrima sticks, a round steel shield, a wooden kite shield, a few pieces of armor, a take-down recurve bow, an english longbow, a compound bow, and probably around a hundred arrows. I've got options. And most importantly, I train with them on a regular basis.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I make a topic or what? LOL

I see a trend in here,more Viking/European weapons than Japanese/Asian.
I'm waiting on the guy with a shillelagh.:D

Whiskey dance anyone?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Your non-gun friend needs a gun. We have two 20 gauge Bantam 500 shotguns. They work great. We tried them out. If someone kicks your door in you don't want to bring a knife to a gun fight.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Can I make a topic or what? LOL

I see a trend in here,more Viking/European weapons than Japanese/Asian.
I'm waiting on the guy with a shillelagh.:D

Whiskey dance anyone?
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I was hiking yesterday and thought to myself, " I need to get a shillelagh." Too funny. Yeah, that's next on the list, methinks. Too bad blackthorn doesn't grow in the US.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But "rose briar" does.so does dogwood.I'd take dogwood any day,I have a hiking staff I made when I was 14 and seasoned with motor oil that has yet to even offer to crack.Mesquite is good too.

·
446 Posts
... but when I get to any of those there will be a pile of empty brass around me...[/B]
Same here, HB. :2thumb: While I have plenty of knives handy, they would definitely be a last resort. I have gotten too old for hand-to-hand :surrender: but if I had to, I would. :p

Tim

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If your down to a knife

You've forgotten all your training !... or so said the Bayonet fighting instructor in Boot Camp..
Some good movie stuff on the subject... Anybody remember the scene in the first Raiders movie,,,the big ******* with the huge sword coming at Indiana Jones and he shrugged and drew his pistol and shot the dude...that was a great lol...of course in the second Raiders movie thay did the same scene and when he reached for his pistol it was gone..so he..RAN!!!

In the movie The wind and the Lion the Marine Capt fighting with his sword in one hand and a pistol in the other!!! that's how to knife fight...

Now I will admit.. IF things were to fall apart..SHTF whatever ya wanna call it.. I'd love to have a Katana!!.. maybe the short one the wakizashi at around 31" it would be a terrible close in weapon...

In fact I may acquire one..my fav ever was the one Shaun Connery used in The Highlander... I fell so into lust with that blade..!!!

But still knife fight all you want.. but do it with a 1911 in the off hand!! have fun but don't be a fool!!...

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the whole thing was a "what if you didn't have a gun" scenario.:p
I'm 6 feet from a SKS and 5 feet from a revolver.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I took a peak at my flash-light - it could be used in case of trouble. Just your standard, average MagLight, but, it is the 6 D-cell model - weights a ton, so, normally, I carry it with the light-end in my hand and the battery-end sitting on my shoulder .. :2thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I took a peak at my flash-light - it could be used in case of trouble. Just your standard, average MagLight, but, it is the 6 D-cell model - weights a ton, so, normally, I carry it with the light-end in my hand and the battery-end sitting on my shoulder .. :2thumb:
:D I used to have a sergeant who always insisted upon carrying around one of those, even though the department issued compact Streamlights for our belts. FInally I asked him why, and he said, "Well, if you gotta whoop on somebody, and you pull out your baton, that's an escalation of force. If I happen to have this here flashlight in my hands...well, that's just a flashlight."

I've had one of those under my bed and next to my driver's seat in the Jeep ever since.:D

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a six-cell Mag light sitting on the hearth. I also have a Mohawk war club and a shelayleah (?) made out of some sort of thorn bush, both made by the same guy in up-state NY... a shipmate of mine.

Then there is the Assagi spear in the corner, my personal tomahawk, and two Nepalese kurkuris on the fireplace... beside the .380 Kel-Tec. :p

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Hozay-the scene you referred to in Indiana Jones was completely improvised. Harrison Ford was really sick, felt like crap, and didn't feel up to the elaborate fight scene that was scripted and rehearsed. Purely ad-lib, he just shot the guy. The other actor went with it, everyone thought it was great, and it made the final cut of the film.

I can't verify this story, but I have a friend who is a lifelong movie buff and he has told this story for years.

As for the OP, We have lots of old handles and the like around. I really don't have much in the line of actual weapons for hand to hand though. Just your standard (for our type) assortment of pen knives and multitools. I hope to get a nice Bowie knife in the relatively near future. I do have a couple 2 cell maglights, and one of them and a corn knife is always under the truck seat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts