BOB Season Change

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by sailaway, Dec 2, 2009.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Living in the cooler climate it is neccessary to change out my BOB gear from warm weather to snow and ice gear. I now carry my winter bag and a layer of winter cloths. Wool sox, hat and gloves. I also added snow boots with spare liners and trail mix to the food supply. This is just the stuff for the car. What have you done? are you ready for bad weather? What do you recomend carrying in your car this time of year?:confused:

2. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Add insulated coveralls and/or polypro underwear or some other type of synthetic base layer.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Salt and cat litter for weight and traction.
    A shovel for "digging out" if that should become necessary. A couple blankets in case you can't "dig out".
    A chain or tow strap so you can help someone else.
    A couple flares make you visible if you're stranded and make fire starting a breeze.
    A button on your dash or lever on the floor that says 4wd. :ignore:

4. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

We don't get snow but were expecting a hard freeze. I tell people it doesn't matter what time of year it is carry a flattened card board box. You don't want to put your knees our you back directly in the snow.

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I always like to have a hatchet in the truck but especially so in the winter. Makes it easier to gather wood in a pinch and has many other uses too.

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

That's smart but is there any legal restrictions for it? I legally can't carry my hunting knives but I've never had a LEO say anything.

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

My winter-BOB is always ready and available. My Jeeps are all setup with winter-survival all year around - I only put in my summer stuff to go beside my winter-stuff. In late September early October I just stash my summer-stuff in my house and make sure that my winter-gear is all accounted for.

My list
    • Gloves
    • Touque
    • Balaclava
    • Snowmobile suit
    • Boots
    • Blankets (12-v electric, wool, fleece)
    • Emergency kits (straps, chains, jumper cables, tools, fuses, first-aid)

There is probably more that I am not sure of - I am listening to the weather-radio right now - blizzard has taken over the city and outlying areas and roads are now closed. My boss just said that the shop will close-down just as soon as the current projects have completed .. 1/2hr and I am fighting whatever traffic I might encounter.

Wish me luck!

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

... and if anyone cares - home now. Snow drifts over the front bumper of my Jeep, cross / head winds in the 50 - 60mph variety, ice-glassed roads .. it was a fun drive home. :2thumb:

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We all care :kiss: but if you don't mind - KEEP THAT CRAP UP THERE!!!

10. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Oh well, here I am in southern Calif., maybe rain coming this week, I'll have to put away the shorts:2thumb:

11. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Dean, I cut a lot of wood and with the chainsaw chaps, ear muffs, safety glasses with sawdust caked to them, and wood crud all over the truck a hatchet isn't really out of place, if it'd even be visible. Legally I don't know if I could carry it or not, though.

12. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I don't change my bug out bag. I normally just carry a pair of sweats and thermals to wear under my clothes for either cold nights or winter conditions year round. I've also got a good sleeping bag and a pair of gloves in there. So as long as I'm wearing some thick socks at the time, I should be set.

13. sailaway

Allen Idaho, what kind of bag do you have?

14. allen_idaho

In the back of my car, I keep a large blackhawk loadout bag. It can fit a surprising amount of stuff in there. Sweats, rain gear, extra boots, food, a medical kit, a blanket, and a number of other things.

In my house, I have a couple of my old sea bags for my family to carry and my old recon pack for myself if something happens to the one in the car.

15. sailaway

I ment sleeping bag for warmth in the winter.

16. allen_idaho

Oh, sorry about that. I use a mummy bag from North Face. It was a bit expensive but well worth the investment. I used to use a cheap $20 sleeping bag I picked up at walmart but it just wasn't cutting it. They are both in the car at the moment along with a couple of warm fleece blankets.

17. Preet

Preet Member

I always keep more body warmers in the car and in my survival kits during the winter. Here is some information on winter survival that might help.

18. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

19. sailaway

Somewhere along the latitudes there is a line of black ice.

20. sailaway

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but have you prepared you BOB or GHB for the next season coming up and if so what did you do? Change sleeping bag, rotate batteries and food? Warmer clothes if you live in my latitude? Check you gas cannisters if you carry a stove.

What did you add if anything or did you remove something to lighten the load?

I used an old suggestion of Naekids and now have a couple of 3 wick candles in small metal cans that I can light in the car to stay warm if needed.