Bloom Box

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by kogneto, Feb 24, 2010.

1. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

I didn't see any discussion on the new Bloom Box by Bloom Energy. Supposed to be a massive generator of wireless electricity.

The Bloom Box - 60 Minutes - CBS News

I think it's a great idea, and an important stepping stone to moving off the grid and allowing for people to control their energy uses. Of course an EMP attack would render them useless but barring an attack on the country, I could see this as alleviating some of the concerns behind some national energy black out.

What do you all think?

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Looks very promising for large scale. The only drawback is that it still needs a fuel source to work, propane, natural gas, hydrogen, etc. Good for the enviorment. For the off-grider or small house hold I believe impractical and expensive. Time will tell though.
    Solar and wind still free power source.

3. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

As I prepare to build my new home....:D a 16 x 20 one room log cabin in the woods of E TX I decided to make my heating system EMP proof, I'm buying a one man buck saw and an ax and splitting maul . Of course that's in case my chain saw gets "EMP'ed"

Do you have any idea how much crap..er..uh..."STUFF" I had to get rid if?... but man is life simpler now...

Now to figure out this solar stuff... like..if I wanted to run just a typical house hold fridge off of power from battery's inverted to 110 V, how many would it take and how big of a solar panel would it take..just for that one thing? of course if I learned to drink warm beer I wouldn't need a fridge...:beercheer: that's not gonna happen!

AND!! anybody care to enlighten me on the best gen set...Diesel or Propane ??

I have 2 2k hondas that can be hooked together to run as 4 k...but that's kind of weak I think...

4. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

not sure Hozay but I think Solar is still too impractical at this point.

I read an article (though I can't find it this second) detailing a brand new, still in prototype phase, solar panel that uses a special matrix of light catching nanoparticles but it was no where near completion and only offered a light to energy transfer of something like 15%

I think solar is too expensive now, but if you give it a few years the Price Perfomance index should make it a lot more powerful and a lot cheaper (or atleast the same price with more power)

Of course in a few years all hell could break loose, the skies could part, a comet could strike, or any other disaster....hmmmm

5. bunkerbob

We have been off the grid for years now and can say with out a doubt solar and wind power are great. No electric bills, even with a modest sized system. We have all the modern conveniences, and a good size house to boot.
    I tend to disagree with your statement concerning the price of solar, about 5 years ago I paid close to $1000 for each 160watt panels, just recently purchased 205watt panels for $650 each. The price has dropped dramatically.
    Also you receive a federal tax credit toward the purchase of renewable energy devices and if I ever go on-grid can realize a 30% cash rebate from my state.
    You have to consider your solar index and site selection for practical use of solar and wind. Here in southern Calif. it is very effective for both.
    HozayBuck, I have a 12KW propane genset to compliment my system, very clean burning and according to sources will outlast most liquid fuel(gas and diesel) types. In three years have only put about 350hrs on it, it will automatically start-up only when needed. It is connected to my house propane system as is the BBQ.
    Look at my modest website below for more.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

Ah yes, I think you may have misread me. I agree that the price of solar is dropping, in fact it is tied to a similar trend known as Moore's Law, which broadly defined shows the power of Information Technologies doubling exponentially, with the price dropping at about the same rate.

back to topic, if the Bloom Box were made more cost effective for the average home, would you look into purchasing it? I read that they will work with "renewable energy" as well as fossil fuels...not 100% what kind of energies but I'm guessing something like bio-diesel.

7. bunkerbob

I still like the idea of free solar and wind, in a :shtf: situation fuel might be scarce or non obtainable, granted you could store enough propane for long term, but, the initial cost would be high.
    Solar panels will last for decades with only a small deprecating power factor, wind turbines will need more, bearings, blades, etc.
    I'm not sure about using bio-fuels with fuel cells, the units I've seen use a gaseous(propane, hydrogen) type fuel.

8. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

it's a small step forward but it runs on natural gas (hydrogen) and so it's still grid dependent