About 2 weeks ago a truck hit and destroyed a power line pole 1/2 block from our house along a major highway. We were 7 hours without power. I have a small generator and I can tell you that running electrical wires all over the house is not very safe. This morning we were 4 hours without power again. Both times we ran 2 space heaters powered by the generator to keep warm. I am planning to get a transfer switch and a way to connect the generator to my house wiring in case this ever happens again. A friend has this setup in his house and at least he can run his furnace, refrigerator, and some lights when the power goes out.