Black Friday...I'm beginning to suspect...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SurviveNthrive, Nov 25, 2010.

1. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I'm beginning to suspect that some of these retailers and mail order companies really don't mean it when they wish me and mine "Happy Holidays" and that they just contact me because they want me to buy stuff from them-but that's just me, and I'm a tad cynical.

Sorry. Couldn't resist that. I just wanted to put things into perspective. The retailers are just tapping into something weird about consumers.

Watch the public, they're savages.

Listening to stories about what the customers are already like at some businesses, and enjoying the fact I don't need to rush out and get anything makes me very happy!

I'm hoping that no one gets trampled to death tomorrow. That was horrible, the savages simply rushed in, didn't care about the poor guy who opened the door and it was so important to spend money they didn't have, to get things they didn't need that a man died. Imagine what it's like when hungry people find out there's food somewhere.

Autopsy confirms Wal-Mart worker was 'trampled to death,' says Nassau's top cop

I wonder whether this is a matter of the location or whether this could happen anywhere.

Also, thefts will be going on like mad. Watch your wallets, purses, and purchased items. If you're making a lot of purchases, if you can, put them in the trunk and out of sight.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Only two stores I gotta go ta tammarraw is the grocery store an the liquor store.

Hopin niether one be real busy!

There ain't nothin at a store worth fightin all them people an gettin there at 4 in the mornin that I can even think I need. Crazy is all I can say. One lady been camped out fer over two days so she can be the first one in!:eek:

3. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

I will go to Ace Hardware tomorrow but that is the only place I am shopping.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

way to prep there, you old coot! :eek: :rolleyes: :lolsmash:

5. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

In the past, I use to drive by the Mall to watch the chaos and be glad that I wasn't involved, and I wouldn't get up early to save a few bucks.

I'm up this early to take a relative to work!

6. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I am a cashier for a large retail company. I had to be at work at 3:30am, the doors opened at 4am. No problems, people were actually patient and PLEASANT!!! Glad it is over, 11hrs on my feet, I need a rest!

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

...And a foot massage! Wow, 11 hours? Whew!

I'm glad people were patient and pleasant. That's one job that certainly sees a lot of the other kind of behavior.

:)

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

DW actually did talk me into going out for a few things. Staples for memory cards for the camera, Walmart for some groceries, Lowe's for batteries and flashlights, and Tractor Supply for chicken feed and a toy for our boy. Of all the places, the only one any more crowded than usual was Tractor Supply. We actually walked in there, saw the lines, and walked right back out. We got back, had lunch, and I cut firewood until dusk.

9. wildman800

wildman800 Well-Known Member

Everythi8ng that I'm hearing about Black Friday, by and large, is that there were not the crowds that have become the "norm".

That speaks volumes about the economy, in my mind!!!

10. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

sales are supposedly up :rolleyes: ... I would also somewhat attribute less IRL foot traffic to the ease of online shopping

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Hah, I bet they get even fewer shoppers next year! My son got up and went to Wal-mart, 60 miles away, for their sale that was to start at 5 A.M., and the doors were already open. Turns out Wal-mart was worried about stampeding customers and let them in at 1:00 to shop.

The people, like my son, who went when the sale was supposed to start, missed out.

Most of the super-sale stuff was gone.

12. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Looks like the local Walmart had many people there, not a whole lot buying until after the sales were essentially over, if that makes any sense. Lots came there later.

One silly thing...they tried to create a flow...two sets of doors, in one and out the other, but with registers at both. Like people are going to come on in one set of doors, ring out at that door, then walk laterally several hundred feet within the store to walk back outside in the weather to get to their cars, parked right out front.

Silly, silly retailers.

13. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

About Black friday...

I think way too many of those people who were in lines at the butt crack of dawn were using their plastic money... easy to but non essentials when your getting the fun now and paying later.. like paying for a lap dance "after" the fact.. is it still worth the price??

Last year I cut up my CC's I had them for several years usually paid the off pretty fast... with no warning they raised my Int rate by almost double... when I called and asked why the dumb assed kid I was talking too said flat out that the only way the credit card banks could recoup their losses from bad accounts was to raise rates...!!!>> I said ...so I'm a good customer and I'm being fined for the bad customers.. he said ..well uh..yea pretty much!!! I figure he wasn't working there too long afterward!! lol

So I chopped them.. and ya know the only time I missed one was when i found a ...wait for it!!!...."REALLY GOOD BUY" !! ..not something I NEEDED.. but something I wanted.. two different things!

14. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

"No Way!" do I go out on these 'Black Friday' sales days - deadly traffic, huge crowds (I also do not suffer crowds well), and the prices can generally be matched by careful shopping elsewhere. Got some items the previous weekend, and will not shop again til after payday at month's end - AFTER all bills are paid.