Bio-Lite Woodburning Camp Stove

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Starcreek, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Starcreek

Starcreek Here a while

2. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Yeah, theyve been out for a few years. Never owned it but my friend has one. Takes forever to charge something even a bit. Pretty nifty though. I think youre better off with a small solar charger.

3. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

It is actually a gasifire stove. Very easy to build. This one is really cool with it charging capability. I would image you can get that also if you were to build your own.

4. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

I have seen these before too. I think the idea behind them is great but like CBL said their performance is a little lackluster in the gasifier charging department. Still, might be worth buying. It certainly does allow one to cook and charge at the same time.

5. CrackbottomLouis

I think it would come in handy if you needed an emergency charge on a communication device when out in a remote area. I use a battery bank the size of a smartphone that has a solar trickle charge on it so it doesnt deplete as fast but it wont really charge on just the solar panel well. I can see the biolite being a good back up on a cloudy day but it is pretty bulky for a stove. Id have to be pretty worried about being able to charge something for it to earn a place in my pack. If you get one post a review.

6. power

power ExCommunicated

Looks like a toy built especially for those who play at prepping.

7. Sentry18

Everyone prepares in their own way. Even someone who just buys one extra can of soup a month is not playing, they are extending their survival by one meal. If a device like that purifies one pot of water, cooks one dehydrated dinner or charges up one communication device it was better than just sitting in your house and dying unprepared.

8. CrackbottomLouis

I like the stove. If you have small equipment you really need to keep charged and you live close to Seattle where it is often cloudy it might be a good option. You may have to feed it sticks all day to charge you NV batteries but better than nothing if you cant rely on solar. You dont have to feed it much besides small twigs from what I saw when my friend showed me his. I dont have a sunlight issue most of the time in the southeast so the cons outweigh the pros but that wont be true for everyone.

9. power

power ExCommunicated

There are so many other things a person could buy with the money that would actually be worth something to a prepper. Why take up money and space for a toy?

10. terri9630

terri9630 Internet Princess

Epicenter Brian on youtube did a comparison between this one and another that I think was a bit bigger. The other charged better. I'll try to find the link.

11. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

Because they want to.
    Their money and space why do you care?

12. terri9630

Here is one.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vl3JiDSF2M[/ame]

13. terri9630

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58b8Acjwtl4[/ame]

14. terri9630

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDTBXydMbjc[/ame]

15. terri9630

I think there are a few more on there but the movie is starting......

16. Sentry18

It might surprise you to find out that just because you don't see the value in something, does not mean it has no value. The funny thing about opinions is that nothing in the definition of opinion requires that it be factual or correct.

17. Starcreek

Starcreek Here a while

Thanks, Sentry. I have very limited funds, and we are living in a good place to ride out a shtf situation, but we're looking at all possibilities. If N. Korea takes the fight to the next level, and the mainland U.S. got invaded (by them or others), we might have to BO with just a pack on our back. If you don't want to arouse attention by building a campfire -- smoke and flickering light that might be visible at a distance -- or if you have to heat something up in inclement weather, I figured this tiny cookstove and a handful of small sticks tucked in the backpack might be useful.

I read some of the reviews at the site, and it looked like people that had one of these thought them useful. The only negative response I saw on a casual scan was that the USB charger took a long time to charge something.

18. power

power ExCommunicated

And I want to let other people know it is a toy.
    No wonder why many people make fun of preppers.

19. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

Ease up, power. On this I totally agree with you but that does not mean that just because I won't buy one that someone else should not buy one.
    Way over $100 for this is a pretty poor investment in my opinion but fine by me if others want to own one or a dozen of them.

20. marlas1too

marlas1too Well-Known Member

I;v seen them demostrated and their neat