Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find it but someone mentioned the bible saying something about a 7 year prep mentioned. Can anyone help me out on this? What it says what it's talking about?

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
The bible is written in both context and foreshadowing. The story of Joseph in Genesis is a foreshadowing for the rejection, death, resurrection, and second coming of the Lord. Pharaoh’s dream in Genesis tells of a seven year famine that would come upon Egypt (and the entire world). It also told of a seven year period of abundance and prosperity that would immediately precede the seven year famine. Joseph was given the responsibility to gather "grain" during this seven year run of abundance in preparation for the seven years of severe famine. In doing so he would not only save the Pharaoh and his house, but he would save his own family as well. And the bible is quite clear on our (specifically men) responsibility to provide for our family and to protect them.

So figuratively the Christian is taught to prep, store and save during the good times to survive the bad times while in a more literal context to have 7 years at the ready. Not the ability to grow food, as in sustainability, but in having 7 years worth of supplies on hand (as well as perhaps the ability to protect it).

To go a little deeper this could be the same seven year Tribulation period that will immediately precede the second coming of Christ. And if it is, then it would essentially be a 7 year grace period to get things in order. To be prepared not only physically with food and supplied, but spiritually as we prepare for the end of days.

While the non-believer may scoff at all that, the Bible does not tend to be perfectly specific in some of these foreshadowing of events but it also does not tend be wrong either. Anyone who choose to heed the warning figuratively or literally is going to be way better off than someone who simply chooses to ignore it.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Thanks for the info! So one could take it as a history lesson and being that history tends to repeat it self a prediction of things to come. Was Joseph part of the Egyptian slaves?[/QUOT

Jacob, whose name becomes Israel has 12 sons who are the patriarchs of the 12 tribes of Israel. One of those sons is Joseph. He was Israel's favorite son and he did not hide it. Israel gave Joseph a very ornate robe as a sign of his love . This made his brothers jealous.
The brothers devised a plan to get rid of Joseph. Long story short, they threw him in a pit until some traders came along and they sold him as a slave to the traders. They returned his fancy robe to their father and told him Joseph had been killed by wild animals. Israel was very sad to say the least.

Joseph in Egypt- Genesis 39 and 40

Joseph was sold into slavery in Egypt. He was the slave of an important Egyptian official. The official's wife was constantly trying to get Joseph to sleep with her, but Joseph refused. To get even with him for rejecting her, she accused Joseph of trying to rape her. Joseph was thrown in prison for several years under this false accusation. In prison, Joseph met Pharaoh's baker and cup bearer who had been locked up while Pharaoh was in a bad mood. They each had troubling dreams which Joseph interpreted as meaning the cup bearer would be restored to his position and the baker would be executed. Everything happened as Joseph said.

Pharaohs dream- Genesis 41

Years later, Pharaoh had a dream that no one in Egypt could interpret. He dreamed 7 fat cows came out of the Nile River. 7 skinny cows came out shortly after and swallowed up the 7 fat cows. He then dreamed of 7 full heads of grain followed by 7 dry sun scorched heads of grain that swallowed up the full heads of grain. The cup bearer remembered the accurate dream interpretations by Joseph. He told Pharaoh about him and Joseph was brought before Pharaoh at once. Joseph told Pharaoh that if he was to interpret the dream, the interpretation would have to come from GOD as he could not do it in his own power.

Pharaoh told his dream to Joseph who was given the interpretation from GOD. He told Pharaoh the dream meant there would be 7 years of abundance followed by 7 years of famine. Pharaoh was so pleased that Joseph had interpreted the dream, he put him in charge of all of Egypt with the priority of being the head prepper to start storing food for the coming disaster. Joseph devised a prepper plan to allocate some portion of each harvest to be stored for the coming crisis. By the end of the 7 years of abundance, Egypt was well stocked with grain that would keep well for the 7 years to come.

Joseph was also in charge of distributing the grain when the famine began. Israel sent his sons to Egypt to buy grain because the famine reached into the land of Israel as well. When his brothers came to Joseph, they did not recognize him. When they finally figured out that it was Joseph whom they had sold into slavery, they were terribly afraid. He forgave them after having a little fun with them and moved his entire family to Egypt where the Israelites stayed for 400 years.

During the famine, Joseph was able to buy land very cheap from those who had not prepared for the famine. They were eager to sell their property to Joseph for grain that will keep them alive.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks JayJay. Thats a great breakdown for the laymen such as myself. You've done that before i take it. So then after 400 years is when they had to flee into the desert?

·
Resto
458 Posts
If you look at Hebrew Culture after the Exodus, you will find that a 6 year "Prep" was a way of life. They were to Till the land and Harvest crops for six years, every 7th year they were not allowed to work the land. That 7th year was for celebration and Fellowship. The prior years of Harvest gave them enough to "Rest" for 1 year. Much like their week. Work 6 days rest 1. So storing was a way of life after the Exodus. A 7 year prep is Biblical for unsaved Jews and Unsaved people period. I personally believe what the Bible teaches about the Rapture of the Church(The Believers in Christ, not the "Institutional" Church), before the 7 years of Tribulation. I don't prep for the 7 years of Tribulation. I don't plan on being here for that. I do prep for the period between Now and the Peace treaty between the Antichrist and Israel. That treaty starts the 7 years of Tribulation. That Treaty happens because of the Ezekiel war. I know the Ezekiel war is before the seven years of Tribulation because the Bible says that they will MELT(Smelt), not Burn, the weapons from that war for seven years. That war will devastate all economies on this planet. There probably wont be a "Grid". There is nothing in the Bible that indicates that the Rapture happens before that war. The Bible does say that the antichrist cannot reveal himself or make the treaty with Israel with the Believers here. Wars and treaties take time, and money will be useless. I suspect that this war will make a lot of Christians Get real and repent before Rapture. That's what I call a Biblical Prep. LOL

Jesus also told Believers to Be Aware and Be Prepared.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can read about Joseph's seven-year prep for seven years of famine in Genesis 41.
Thank you. Im an atheist so i don't have one, plus having looked at a bible i have no clue what they are talking about. I do enjoy learning though! That's why i turned to you guys, a breakdown for the laymen if you will. Even though i don't believe in the god part of the bible i do believe it has historical significance. It is interesting to see how many preppers are in it from so long ago. Also interesting to see how our society has shifted from everyone prepping to now those of us that do are thought of as weirdos. As an atheist and even taking the religious parts out, the bible still has alot to teach us.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
You don't need an actual printed bible, everything you need is right here:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/

https://www.biblegateway.com/

https://www.biblestudytools.com/

Don't get bogged down in which translation. Just read the one that makes the most sense to you. Many Christians are somehow convinced that the version they read is right and the others are somehow wrong. I prefer to read numerous translations and let the spirit be my guide.

These online resources can also provide definitions, maps and context not always found in printed bibles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts