Beware vapor pressure!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by kyhoti, Aug 13, 2011.

1. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

Beware vapor pressure! I switched from one gallon gas cans to the five gallon models last year. Haven't tapped into the five gallon cans all summer, as I have been rotating the smaller treated cans. Went to fill up the old lawn mower from the big can, and as always, I vented it to relieve the pent up fuel fumes. What I didn't account for was the heat of the day and the movement of the can from its shaded storage spot to the driveway. In this heat, it built up more pressure, but I didn't know it. Tipped the can, squeezed the handle and WHOOSH! Stream of fuel squirted out, and not much got in the tank. Yeah, maybe a pint of lost fuel, but that could run my Coleman stove for a good bit. Lesson better learned now than when the pumps stop working. Now I have to let the mower dry out before starting, which is a waste of time, and time is one thing you can't stock in bulk.

2. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Good point.

Not only is time valuable, but when SHTF that fuel will become even more dear.

3. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Thanks for warning,maybe next time bring the mower to the gas if possible.

4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I've filled vented gas cans too full and left them in the sun once in a while (accidentally). I've actually seen fuel (read: money) squirting out the vent hole in a very pretty little arc. Had to hurry up and dump some of the gas into the lawntractor.

5. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

These new 'Safety" ventless gas cans really do suck in a big way. It's far too difficult now to actually USE them to fill a car or motorcycle without spilling the gas they purport to save....... Another solution in search of a problem.
    The spouts with the squeeze handles had to have been designed by someone with a Doctorate in Applied Stupidty. :rolleyes:

6. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Concur--the new "Saftey" gas cans are more of a saftey RISK.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

The solution is simple, at least in writing-buy gas cans at flea markets and yard sales-some sheeple type will be sick of moving the old can around his garage and finally smile and carry it to your car for you when you pay him 2 dollars for it.

8. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Sorry for the mini rant but I have some gas containers I can''t even use to fill anything up. I have to pour the gas into an old container and fill that way. Remember when new actually meant better?

9. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Just bought another metal 5 gallon can at a nieghbors rummage, fer a buck! I buy the old style cans when I find em. The new cans be a sad joke, tired a spillin gas everwhere. Safer then the old cans? I don't think so. Ya can't stupid proof everthin cause perty soon ya won't be able ta do nothin.

10. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I agree with all that the new cans suck.

I always leave my lid loose or some sort of breather open when the fuel is in storage. That stops the problem.

11. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We, too, really dislike the new cans. I like the idea of looking for the older cans at yard sales and such. Thanks for the idea. I'm glad to know we're not the only ones who have been cussing out these newer, "safer" cans.
    :gaah: