Best Prices for O2 absorbers, Vacuum Bags & Mylars??

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by Sudhira, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Sudhira

Sudhira Member

Dear Folks,

I am so new at this and feel very behind. So far I have purchased a dehydrator, and a vacuum sealer. Fortunately I have always enjoyed putting up food, so no worries there...

However, I am finding the price of vacuum bags pricey, where do you all find the best deals for these preserving items.

I am finding now, that I would rather spend my hard earned $ on food and prep stuff than anything else...

Suggestions?

Many thanks...S

2. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I get my bags for vacuum sealer or food saver at Sams, in the rolls...

I want to ask as well about Mylar bags... Can the one gallon ones be used with a food saver? Looks like they would fit, but don't know if the sealing strip would ruin the Mylar bags.

3. Ezmerelda

Ezmerelda Well-Known Member

I have the Seal A Meal vacuum sealer, and in my machine, the heat strip seals the mylar before the vacuum can do its work. :gaah:

I don't know if the same thing will happen with the Food Saver. Apparently, the plastic that comes with the machine takes longer to melt/seal than the mylar does. :dunno:

4. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Vac bags I buy local cause there cheaper then anyplace I can order, there simply smart brand.

Mylars I get offin Ebay, they come with them O2 absorbers. I use my foodsaver ta vac seal the mylars.

5. Sudhira

Sudhira Member

Thanks for the info, my area is very lacking in food prep items!! I'll just rely on ebay and all...thanks folks...

6. Outbreak

Outbreak Member

Try here Our Products - SorbentSystems.com About as cheap as you will find. Its where I have bought mine for years. They also sell vacuum sealer bags that are heavy and are about half the price of Foodsaver brand bags.

7. Sudhira

Sudhira Member

Excellent site!

8. swede

swede Member

I can echo this. Always had good experiences iwth Sorbent Systems.

Hey Outbreak. I thought you'd appreciate a joke my 11-year-old told me the other day:

"What do the letters 'DNA' stand for?"

scroll down....

scroll down.....

scroll down.....

"National Dyslexics Association"

:D:D:D

9. Outbreak

Outbreak Member

:) Not many people catch that