Best food dehydrator for home use?

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by River Rafter, Mar 7, 2009.

1. River Rafter

River Rafter Member

I don't want to build one, so what are your thoughts and experiences on "store bought" dehydrators? Any brands/models the best? Thanks! :)

2. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

I agree that it depends on your budget, but also your needs. I have 5 dehydrators, the oldest being 30 years old! They are a fairly simply stacking tray with a cover set up. I think they are about $20-$30 at Wal Mart and Wally World also has the accomanying supplies, like jerky and fruit roll up trays, jerky spices and such.
    I have looked at the fancy expensive ones, but even using mine to dry herbs for sale, I still don't think it's worth it. One thing about the cheap ones is that if you only need to dry one tray, you can leave the others off. I notice that the fancy ones don't seem to be able to do that.

3. MaryV

MaryV Well-Known Member

I have a round cheap one, but I no longer use it after getting an excalibur.
    I find the excalibur faster. but who knows, maybe i just fell for the advertising.
    I like the mesh trays in the excalibur. food doesnt fall through to the bottom.
    I am using mine every day now, keeping it going sometimes day and night. as soon as I unload, I load up anohter batch...

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

maybe a small (5-tray) one like herbal suggested for the small things AND a large one for bulk drying?

the store bought small ones... make sure it has a fan & adequate convection is the only advice I can think of

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We have 2 Open Country dehydrators. They were $89 each. 5 round tray's with the fan on top. They work almost non-stop from July through November and did a great job.

6. River Rafter

River Rafter Member

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the suggestions :)

7. JW Parker

JW Parker Keep Your SP101 Handy!

What do you really need in a dehydrator more than a chamber with adjustable heat and airflow? I'm thinking of building my own.

8. lieuha

lieuha New Member

Excalibur food dehydrator is the best. My family used a 3926TB food dehydrator for 4 years and don't have any problem. If you interest, check good food dehydrator reviews before buy it

9. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

For $19.00 you can get a single burner countertop range - 120V/1000watt heating unit plus an oven fan for $40 and build a really big food dryer

10. gam46

gam46 Well-Known Member

Started with a borrowed round stacking tray one that was described as "Really good." Hated the need to always have to rotate trays. Bought an Excalibur and have been well pleased. Can but don't have to rotate trays. Many features strike me as having been very well designed.

11. SouthCentralUS

SouthCentralUS Well-Known Member

Since that thread was from 2009 the person probably has one by now.:D

12. gam46

gam46 Well-Known Member

quoted from SouthCentral US "Since that thread was from 2009 the person probably has one by now."

You are correct. Perhaps the next person who has this question will benefit from a longer thread.

13. Kodeman

Kodeman Kodeman

Several years ago I bought an Excalibur and couldn't be more satisfied. I used to own a cheaper round dehydrator that was marginally OK but the Excalibur is the Cadillac of dehydrators, IMO.