Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
What great advice there is in this thread. Here goes for my twopennyworth.
I decided to put up stores to cover us for one year. I worked out the things we would not be able to provide for ourselves from our kitchen garden and chicken yard. The main items were salt, flour, yeast (for breadmaking - it is after all the staff of life), olive oil. These items head my list. I then made out a two week menu in which I could make a main meal once a day from canned food and chickens from our chicken yard. Here in Australia if an item of food for sale does not have a use-by date on it, it means the contents are good for 2 years plus. So I am stocking tins of corn beef (Corn Beef Hash), Tuna (Fish Cakes, Tuna with Pasta etc), chick Peas (Falafal), Sardines (On pizzas), all of these items are for protein. I can get two meals Plus soup from one chicken (for three people). We are eating from this menu right now so that I can keep my stocks up to date with fresh purchases. A year or two ago I had to throw a lot of stuff out because it was well past it's use by date. I learnt a lot from that experience (I hate to waste food). I bought myself a pasta machine and at the present time I am teaching myself how to bake/roast/casserole with a wood fired stove. I have also just purchased a Fagor pressure cooker which I have not as yet tried out (I must admit to being a little nervous of it) but I bought it because I will be able to cook a meal using the minimum of fuel. Being self-sufficient in food is an enormous challenge but incredibly rewarding. I think hard times might be just around the corner so now is the time to plan and learn all you can The very best of luck to you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts