Been a lurker, now a participant

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dan1966, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Dan1966

Dan1966 Survival Doc

I have been somewhat of a closet prepper for a while and now I feel that I am ready to be an active participant in the wider community. I am a physician specializing in nutrition and fitness. Practiced general and vascular surgery for 10 years but found my interest pulled more toward disease prevention and health optimization. Learning a lot from these forums and hope I can contribute from my medical expertise as well. I have also had training as a wilderness first responder.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum :wave:

3. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Hello & Welcome........:wave::wave:

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us!

Your medical and wilderness first aid training are awesome skills to have.

:)

5. crazychickenlady

crazychickenlady Well-Known Member

Awesome! I'm really happy to hear from a doctor who is interested in prevention rather than pills! ;) They have their place of course, but it seems that many doctors don't look into the root cause of an illness.

Ok, thread drifting alert...
    I have a question for you, Dan. My 15 year old son is pretty determined that when he is finished with college he wants to work in humanitarian aid. I think that his idea is to go to areas where people need help after disasters. But I don't think he is certain about what type of relief he will be providing, yet.

I have talked to him about what type of skills he will need for this career path. They include: first aid/medical training, survival skills, foreign languages, self defense, mental health and traumatic/ stress awareness, and basic physical strength training.

My questions for you - where did you go to train as a wilderness first responder? Do you have any advice for a young person who wants to train to be a humanitarian aid provider? Or any other skills that I haven't thought of that he should work on?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

6. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Wow, you have a great perspective to offer. Welcome to the forum! :wave:

7. Dan1966

Dan1966 Survival Doc

WMI

The best option that I have come across is the Wilderness Medicine Institute - associated with NOLS. They offer a 3 week intensive EMT track that can be followed up by a one wilderness medicine course. They lead many medical humanitarian trips and they train you well.

8. crazychickenlady

crazychickenlady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info...I will look into it. I am assuming that it would be something for when he gets older, though.

Welcome to the forum!

9. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Welcome, please share your knowledge with us.

10. MrsSellaneous

MrsSellaneous Shelf Reliance

Welcome- good to have a doctor in the house!

11. drifter0069

drifter0069 Member

welcome to the forum!!