Beef....Before and after.

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by exsheeple, Apr 14, 2011.

1. exsheeple

exsheeple Junior Member

Hey everyone, how does it look? I did 10 pints.
    So all total 6 1/2 qts chicken and 10 pints beef.

Attached Files:

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

It looks like you are hooked. :D

They look awesome ... :congrat:

3. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Yummy! :2thumb:

4. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

How long does that last and how do you prepare it?

5. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Why it looks like instant shredded BBQ beef sammaches for dinner!

Or shredded beef tacos or with a bit of other ingredients some nice quick beef stew.. or, or or... Should I go on!

It looks great!:2thumb::2thumb::2thumb:

6. exsheeple

exsheeple Junior Member

Oh yeah, I am hooked allright. LOL
    I am actually proud of myself....not much of a better feeling than to have all your jars seal after all the hard work!!
    Now as long as they stay sealed then I am in the game! LOL
    Thanks everyone.....

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

worldengineer -

I raw pack (large critters - beef, pork and etc.), cut it into 1 inch cubes and place in wide mouth qt. jars. I don't pack mine ... or add water, salt or anything else. (but that is just me )

Pressure can for 1 and half hours at 10# (check you area for the right pressure)

Some folks add water and salt ... I don't.

How long does that last ... We can for a year but have used it two or three years past (jars got pushed to the back ;)). As long as the seal is good with no rust on the lids.

8. Journey

Journey Junior Member

Awesome. Looks really great! :congrat:

9. cybergranny

cybergranny Well-Known Member

Looks great. Little darkening at the top (no fluid covering) is ok as long as you have a good seal. We had pork paprikash last night from my canned pork loin. OMG it was good and quick too. (My sour cream was pre Japan incident)

10. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

canning is like putting coins in a jar, it'll still be there at the same price when the price goes up and the power is off. I see you're losing some liquid. are you using 1" head space?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  11. snappy1

snappy1 Well-Known Member

You're off to a great start!!!!!! They look great!!!!!! I use strips or chunks in fajitas and stroganoff!!!!

12. exsheeple

exsheeple Junior Member

I did not lose any liquid, these jars were raw packed...I did not add any liquid or salt.

13. exsheeple

exsheeple Junior Member

And....Thank you everyone for the comments, If the jars look good to you all I must be doing something right. :)

14. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

I think you are awesome!! I still have not worked up the courage to use the pressure canner....it's brand new also...........gulp, you really have me fired up to start though. Good job!!:2thumb:

15. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

ROFL I felt the same way! I had a pressure canner/cooker for years before I ever even took it out of the box I was so scared of it. :nuts: I blame my parents!

Exsheeple you did an outstanding job! Congradulations on such a great first try! :beercheer:

16. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Yep, you must be. I guess I'm gonna have to try it. Have never eaten any home canned meat. I have canned and helped can veggies just about my whole life. So, I may have to try meat now. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

Jimmy

17. exsheeple

exsheeple Junior Member

Your welcome....I have not posted much lately, been a little busy drying veggies. I have found a whole new world in doing that. so far 4 lbs carrots, 2 lbs of peas and corn. I will try and take pics soon and post them on my other thread. HAPPY PREPPING!!!!

18. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Good job, Exsheeple. Looks great!

19. BillM

BillM BillM

Picked my first Lettus

I picked lettus this morning and we ate out first fresh garden salad for lunch!

I'll have tomatos in two weeks.

20. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

already canned 18 jars of toms. :melikey: froze about 8 lb. of squash. cannned about dozen jars that were to big to be good sliced. made several jars of pickles. that was last week. now time to start over:cry:. lol:D