BEAR!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Grimm, May 2, 2013.

1. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

I have to be honest. As much as I like to tell myself I am prepared and understand what it means to live this far in the mountains I am not. I just peed myself a little...

I just came face to face with an adult brown bear. The only thing separating us was Roo's bedroom patio door. I did keep my head and Roo and our dog has no clue there was anything out there. Winter would have barked and growled which I didn't want her to do and Roo would have squealed at the "big puppy". I watched it from the windows as it circled the house sniffing the air and blinking in the sun like it just woke up. After about a half hour it walked back into the woods behind the house.

Now that it is gone I have my shot gun and shells on top of the fridge just in case. The cats are also calming down. Roo's cat, Dori, was the one to let me know the bear was there. She was sitting at the door growling and hissing. The bear didn't seem to notice her or me through the glass but it still made me wet myself.

I was curious what those of you that live in bear country do when a bear gets that close. Technically we can't shot the bears unless they attack or get in to the house. We live on the border of a wildlife preserve so we have to play by the book when the animals get too close. Plus brown bears are the state animal so they are protected.

And yeah, I'm a big scaredy cat.

2. Dakine

Dakine Uber Newbie

3. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

Unless it excaped from a zoo you probably didn't see a Brown/grizzly. The last Brown bear was killed in California in 1923, I believe.

4. GaryS

GaryS Member

Several year ago in Montana, a friend of my mother was baking and canning in their cabin a few miles from town. She set some pies near a screened window to cool. She was working at the stove when she heard a tearing noise behind her. She turned and saw a grizzly with his head and one paw inside the window reaching for a pie. The woman panicked and threw a pot of boiling water on the bear. It bellowed and took off. The game warden tracked the bear and had to shoot it because of the severe burns to its head and paw.

Sad for the bear just doing bear things, but I'd probably react that way also.

5. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

In her defense the black bear (Ursus arctos) can be a dark brown. Ive spent a lot of time watching Brutus and Buckeye at the Columbus zoo and while a black bear is nothing to scoff at a Grizzy is just HUGE. We also have polar bears now at the zoo. Wow, definitely get some bear spray my friend.

6. Grimm

Ursus arctos is the California Brown Bear.

Attached Files:

7. Grimm

You are 100% wrong.

The bear you refer to is the California GOLDEN BEAR! It is extinct, the last one shot in 1922!

And there is a zoo 49 miles UP the mountain from us.

Two Brown bears make a house call in California

8. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

California golden bear is subspecies of grizz. I don't think there are any grizz in California except pet/zoo.

9. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

your right it is Ursus americanus. Brain fart. But it can still be a bit brown. I don't know anything about bears in Cail but I know we have black bears in Ohio.

10. Grimm

Here is a video of a bear IN the town we live outside of. This town is 2 miles up the mountain from us.

[ame="http://youtu.be/ZWZvUfjMpwE"]Bear in Forest Falls[/ame]

11. swjohnsey

swjohnsey ExCommunicated

12. Caribou

Caribou Time Traveler

We've had our first bear attack this year, and the snow is still on the ground. The bear spray may help but you need to get within ten yards to be effective. The problem is that bears are very fast. remember, no predator makes a living by being slow. Loud noises may also help. You can get a siren, large firecrackers like cherry bombs if your ground cover is not combustible, or set up outside speakers just to list a few. Your shotgun, with slugs, is still your best defense.

13. Grimm

This is the bear everyone told us about. He was passive around people and loved to lick people's BBQ grills.

We were told the story about him being hit by a car and the man buried him in the river bed where he landed. Burying any dead animal is illegal here as it will poison our water supply- the river!

[ame="http://youtu.be/0xaC_sCHuyQ"]Man burying bear in Forest Falls[/ame]

14. Grimm

I did get some pictures of the bear outside Roo's window when he backed up off the patio. I am still digging up the camera cord to upload them.

15. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

O yeah, this happened in my town
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciI7_Zvryw0[/ame]

16. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If it was wearing a tie, you would only need to worry about the Pic-i-nic baskets ...

:rofl:

Attached Files:

17. Grimm

I don't know how this will work with the bears but I'd feel better having this when walking Winter at night.

18. biobacon

biobacon Track Layer

so then we got this,
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA1HeyJo80U[/ame]
    Just wanted to make you smile after a scary day. this is a true story however

19. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

OMG I'd peed my pants girl! I've never seen a bear!!

I've heard of people having to lock deep freezers, etc. to keep them away.

I'd be scared. What a way to start your rural mountain home adventure huh?

20. Grimm

And here I was thinking that knowing our luck we'd live here for years and never see a bear that close...

:eek: