Be Careful What You Copy And Paste

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by UncleJoe, Jul 27, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We all do it. You see an article that relates to a discussion so you copy and paste it into a post. It appears that newspapers are going to crack down on the use of their copyrighted material.
    Make sure you give credit or at least cite your source.

Steve Gibson has a plan to save the media world’s financial crisis — and it’s not the iPad.

Borrowing a page from patent trolls, the CEO of fledgling Las Vegas-based Righthaven has begun buying out the copyrights to newspaper content for the sole purpose of suing blogs and websites that re-post those articles without permission. And he says he’s making money.

“We believe it’s the best solution out there,” Gibson says. “Media companies’ assets are very much their copyrights. These companies need to understand and appreciate that those assets have value more than merely the present advertising revenues.” ...

...Gibson’s vision is to monetize news content on the backend, by scouring the internet for infringing copies of his client’s articles, then suing and relying on the harsh penalties in the Copyright Act — up to $150,000 for a single infringement — to compel quick settlements. Since Righthaven’s formation in March, the company has filed at least 80 federal lawsuits against website operators and individual bloggers who’ve re-posted articles from the Las Vegas Review-Journal, his first client.

Newspaper Chain’s New Business Plan: Copyright Suits | Threat Level | Wired.com

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Wow!!! Good to know that is going on.

I always try to give credit where credit is due in my copy-paste of the information. I have found that too often a link to an outside source goes dead, and, with that, the information is virtually gone forever. I wonder if everyone puts a link to the original source with the copy-paste that the laws of research will take effect (think research paper for college or university) and protect sites like PreparedSociety that are open discussions on many topics.

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

4. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I have known for years that to copy/paste another's articles was illegal and I usually only post links and try to make sure that the links stay updated. So usually any copy paste done by me is from my own source or from friends posts (I do try and ask first if the post is on another forum) or I have copy/pasted information from other threads here to the thread I was on... (BunkerBob's vacuum technique for example)
    I figured that sooner or later someone would figure out how to track and sue others over this.

5. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

What a pile of steaming [email protected]*! Thanks for the heads up. (Lawyers suck) don't send me any hate mail ya ambulance chasers. ;)

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

So do you need to ask permission to use the info or are you good to copy and paste as long as you credit the source/author? I agree with kyfarmer's post right above mine, but I didn't copy and paste it into a quote because I didn't want him to sue me.

:p

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Good one!!! :melikey: :2thumb:

A lot of the sites I read allow you copy as long as you link back to them. At the site I originally found the story, there is a note at the bottom of the page giving permission to, and even encouraging, spreading there work around. All they ask is that you give credit to the author.

P.S. Please don't sue me Jason. I don't have much, but I'd like to hang on to what I have. :D

8. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Ok, I'll let you slide just this one time...

:rolleyes:

9. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

so long as you cite the author and don't claim the work as your own is it copyright? just took journalism law and I think once it's disseminated on the internet it's damn near impossible to win a copyright suit...though the lawyer get's paid either way so...