Bacon grease - shelf life?

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by SaskBound, Feb 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

...or rather, back-of-stove life?

I have a glass jar on the back of the stove that we drain bacon grease into. We use the fat later for frying and seasoning food. I started doing this last year. Grandma used to save bacon fat, but I don't recall if there was a 'use by' sort of date...we seem to scoop out the top 1/2 inch pretty frequently, but the stuff at the bottom is months old (maybe more than that, lol).

Anyone know if bacon grease goes off / gets dangerous at any point?

Thanks!

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I do it the way my gramma done it ...:)... she was 101 when she passed over. Once a year (spring) she would clean her 'grease jar'. So I do as she did.:dunno:

I'm sure the gobberment will tell you not to use it at all. (It's bad for you :rolleyes:)

I have a good 'LOL' when I remember a doctor visit which they told my grams to give up some of her 'fat foods' - she told him that once he got to be 95 then he could tell her what to eat! :D

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

WOW. Never would have thought it could set out that long. Thanks. :)

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Keep in mind ... grams used her grease jar a lot!:)

5. SaskBound

Perfect, thanks! I thought 'months' was probably okay, but I wasn't sure about 'years'. Come springtime, I'll clean out the grease jar :)

6. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I has my bacon jar on the stove now. I,ll clean it come spring just like my maw and paw use to do. My sister hate's any fat period, in any thing but she eats all that diet healthy crap. She keep's headaches and feels like crap 24-7. My grease sopping granny lived to 84 and grandpaw lived to 87. My point being if i make it to my mid eighties i,am fine with it.

7. Nina9mm

Nina9mm Member

I'm surprised it can sit out at all beyond a couple of days! I would think it would go rancid! I have kept bacon grease in the fridge for awhile, but even then, if it gets to the point I can't remember the date I put it in, I get rid of it. I'm probably too cautious.

8. SaskBound

I used some today from the jar (mmmm refried beans :) ). Tastes fine. Mind you, we only put bacon grease in, not any other grease / drippings, so it's also pretty salty, which probably helps. I'm sure the jar has been sitting on the counter / back of the stove for more than 6 months. It used to be a common practice, at least in rural Prairie areas.

9. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Maybe or maybe not ... like I said my grams "used" her grease jar 'each and every day'. I think that makes the difference. Now if I used my grease jar once in a blue moon ... I would think along a differnt line. :) But that is just me thinking ... LOL ...

10. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Bacon grease | Serious Eats : Talk : Cooking and Baking

The comments on this site have some great ways to use bacon grease in everyday cooking. Sounds like some of them really know their bacon! My favorite comment: Call it "exra virgin bacon oil". You'll feel better.

We strain and keep our grease in a glass jar in the fridge. When I get the notion, we make suet cakes for the birds out of whatever we haven't used and start over with a clean jar.

11. kogneto

kogneto The Skeptic

your grams probably ate a lot healthier than we do today

no hotpockets in the great depression

12. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I keep my bacon grease in the fridge. Seems to me the back of the stove would get too hot at times. No need in tempting fate. Does anyone know the shelf life of lard. We will be rendering lard when we kill our hog this fall and I'm not sure how long lard will keep. I love using it for pie crust and biscuits.

13. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I buy "TenderFlake" lard from SafeWay from the "room-temperature" shelves. I don't believe that I have ever seen an expiry-date on the box - but - I store the boxes of "TenderFlake" in the back of my fridge. I try to buy between 4 and 6 boxes at a time and keep maximum of 8, minimum of 2 at a time.

14. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

My Grandparents ate fried pork 3 times a day.
    They would put bacon grease in a bowl and dip their biscuits in it.
    Both lived long happy lives.
    They did work hard every day of their lives and that helped I'm sure.
    Grandma had a container that was stamped bacon grease.
    Don't know where she got it but I think I'll look for one.
    We keep ours in a jar on the counter by the stove.
    I have no idea how long it's been there but we used it tonight for re-fried beans and they tasted OK.

15. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I've got two jars in the fridge and have been using them for over a year now and they are still nice and clean looking and very good smelling.
    But I do put two coffee filters over the mason jar that I drain the hot grease into and it strains out anything that could cause it to go rancid.
    I have used it in making my hamburger buns before and it makes the best BUNS EVER! :D

16. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Most people say a year or 18 months ... (but I have some that is right at 2 years old ... that will be used for soap this fall)

The more water in your lard the less well it will keep.

17. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

One of the best uses for bacon grease is frying up a mess of eggs for breakfast. No salt or pepper needed. I don't keep a bacon grease jar on the stove... when I cook up bacon for breakfast there is nothing left after I cook up the eggs. :2thumb:

18. UncleJoe

When this thread was started, back in Feb, I poured the hot bacon grease into a pint canning jar to save it for later. As it cooled the (used) lid sealed. It's been sitting on the counter ever since. I am going to assume that it will still be safe to use. I'll probably open it this winter when we're home and inside more often and see how it fared. If I disappear from the board, you'll know it wasn't any good. :rolleyes:

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:gaah: Toss it now!!!!!!!!! I can't have that on my head!!!!!!!!! (;))

Remember the point I made about :quote: Grams used her grease jar every day ... ;) :quote: Just to say ... you know ...

Also Emerald brought up a good point about the filters. A true "grease Jar" has a filter to keep the big stuff out and like Emerald you can use a coffee filter or something like that if you do not have a grease jar.

20. UncleJoe

Thanks Andi. I'm touched. :) :kiss: