Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
399 Posts
We should be thankful a 93 year old woman still has the ability, knowledge, and desire to grow a garden. Front, back, who cares?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I like the idea of a garden in every yard. I have tomato and pepper plants in my flower beds, with lettuce and radishes as a boarder. All of my herbs are in the front yard for everyone to see. Surely the public official has better things to do than drive around town to see what everyone has planted in their front yard.

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
I like the idea of a garden in every yard. I have tomato and pepper plants in my flower beds, with lettuce and radishes as a boarder. All of my herbs are in the front yard for everyone to see. Surely the public official has better things to do than drive around town to see what everyone has planted in their front yard.
me too.
I am doing edible landscaping. what some think are lovely draping flowers is amaranth! lol
i have herbs in the front, oregano, mustard, thyme etc but my main garden is in the back with matoes, corn, squashes, beans etc.
also in the front I have climbing peas, and cukes with their lovely flowers and fruits.
I would tell that lady to rock on! :flower:

·
Registered
318 Posts
We should be thankful a 93 year old woman still has the ability, knowledge, and desire to grow a garden. Front, back, who cares?
Gee she is looking good for 93. :p I would have placed her at no more than 40. :D:

(she is facing 93 days in jail)

She should look into guerrilla gardening

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only gardens, but if every homeowner planted 10 trees-- if space allows, of course-- this world would be much better also, I think.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
I was just reading this article before coming on here. Read it to my kids - they're really starting to understand a lot about private property rights (or the lack thereof).

I admire her spunk, and her willingness to stick with it. Man, I hope she wins!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Reading some of the comments at the bottom - someone suggested peaceful protest by using Webster's definition of suitable = common. Have the neighbors plant gardens in their front yards. Someone's thinking outside the box. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not only gardens, but if every homeowner planted 10 trees-- if space allows, of course-- this world would be much better also, I think.
I love planting trees. I saw a small ceder growing underneath a mobile home when walking yesterday. I asked the folks if I could pluck it from the ground and take it home to plant. I now have a cedar tree and a blue spruce tree that are only about a foot tall :) I already planted 6 other trees in my backyard.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Gee she is looking good for 93. :p I would have placed her at no more than 40. :D:

(she is facing 93 days in jail)

She should look into guerrilla gardening
My mistake. In that case throw her in jail and throw away the key. These kids nowdays think they can get away with anything.
Just joking.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Casey Anthony walks in Florida and Julie Bass goes to jail in Michigan????????

I live about 25-30 miles away from Julie Bass. How soon before they come and get me? If she has a legal defence fund we should all chip in some bucks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in Oak Park - They might cite me for growing asparagus among my lilies. :flower:

And, BTW, the British spelling is defence. So cut 'em some slack.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Oh brother. I hope the whole town gets behind this woman, and I hope there becomes a wave of front-yard gardens not only there but in other towns!

Common sense, folks! There's a couple people there that don't have any! Geez.

Reading the comments after the story was as interesting as the article. If so many common people out there reading the news can see the idiocracy of this, why is it those few people who have no common sense keep prevailing in this kind of harassment? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
All the lady has to do is say ... Mrs O told me to do it. :flower:

Now what town in their right mind would cross Mrs O.

I think I will send this to the house on the hill and see what they have to say ... :D

·
Registered
4,581 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
She was warned. She could've had her garden in the backyard and it wouldn't have been a problem. It comes down to the rule of law. If you already have a law against having gardens in your front yard then you can't have one. Whether it's a good law or not is a separate issue.
Read the article Bill. Gardens are not specifically prohibited in the law. The laws states only "suitable plants". It does not define suitable. The code enforcement guy says the definition of suitable is common. In other words her yard has to look like everyone else's and since none of her neighbors have gardens in front, neither can she. I think she is totally within her rights.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts