August - fruit & veggie general chat

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, Aug 1, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Fall garden is in ... kind of hard to believe ... but there you have it. Fall is well on the way.

How does your garden grow ... :flower:

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

It's been too cool and rainy for the tomatoes, peppers, and squash to do much here, but the potatoes, onions, peas, broccoli, carrots, and salad greens are growing by the bushels! We've having our first spell of dry, warm weather that lasted more than a day or two this summer, and it's nice.

The growing season here is too short for a fall garden, but I'm sure looking forward to reading about all of you guys' fall gardens!

:)

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Apples

it is apple time here ... in the jar and dried. :flower:

How do you like to keep our apples? :D

4. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

I think my garden is confused........my potatoe plants are starting to die, good grief, it's only august!! I only have a few beets left to pull, today I pickled my first beets..........tastes really really good. The recipe called for cinnamin sticks, wow, those are expensive.........anyway, tastes just great.

Cooked my first spaghetti squash, awesome with gravy and sour cream.

Some one had a recipe for oat/bannana muffins, they are so darn good. I make them all the time now........can't remember who listed them but thanks!
    :2thumb:

5. brighteyesLC7

brighteyesLC7 Member

My potatoes are dying back too. I'm waiting for a few dry days then I'm just going to harvest... this is my first time growing them so I am very anxious to see what happened under there! I actually found grocery store organic Yukon golds growing in my compost bin this spring so I pulled them out and planted them in a large rubbermaid storage bin! Can't wait to see how they worked out!

6. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Fall garden?!?!?

My garden is just now coming into picking. OK, the cucumbers, peas and beans are pretty much done but lettuce and tomatoes are now starting the picking stage. Cantelope, onions, sunflowers... will be awhile. Pepper plants are beautiful but are hardly producing. Season not long enough here for a fall garden either.

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Our purple-hull peas are up, the zucchini too. Turnips have peeked thru and the butternut squash are already trying to run. We were gone all last week due to the dealth of my mother and did not have anyone to water for us, temps went to 110+ several days. I'm surprized anything is still living. Still no rain.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Active Member

Everything in my garden died a couple weeks ago when we went over 100, since we have stayed there and it has only rained once and sprinkled twice I am not real encouraged to plant a fall garden. Really I spent more on the garden than I got from it this year. It started out good before the heat and drought came.

9. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

Just started the seedlings for broccoli, cauliflower, etc.... (Hope the timing is right, we've always bought the plants.) I've NEVER seen a seed spout in 2 days, but they are! It's too hot to put anything outside right now, but hopefully in a few weeks (or month) we can put them out. Kinda excited, kinda nervous. Praying for the best. :)

10. neldarez

neldarez Supporting Member

I think I messed up on the dill...........I'm so not familiar with herbs....I cut the heads off today and dried them but they were flowering....think I was suppose to do it before they flowered. grrrrrrr......:(

dried more carrots today and ate some of the pickled beets I fixed, oh my goodness they are good!! I'm losing a little weight eating all of these veggies that I'm cooking! Make a recipe that I found on here today, zucchini/sweet potato bread..........turned out really good.:) My tomatoes are starting to ripen, good!

11. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Canned my 2nd batch of tomatoes yesterday. The kids are really getting into it which is nice.

12. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Tomatoes:
    Getting some tomatoes in now, will hopefully have enough to can sauce today. I'm learning that I need more tomato plants so that I have more tomatoes ready for canning at the same time... They're looking pretty spindly - they've all had so many yellow bottom leaves that they've lost all their bottom branches. I trim them and spray them, but nothing seems to work, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

Corn:
    Not doing so well - the Hopi Blue didn't germinate well at all, and I don't know if there's enough growing for sufficient pollination. The sweet corn is growing well, but not setting many ears - we'll be lucky to get one ear per plant. We have no idea why. On top of that, something got into the corn - probably the dog - and everything's been knocked over. Spent the day yesterday trying to fix that and rigging up support.

Melons:
    A nasty fungus (at least, that's what we think it is) got to our Twice As Nice melons - DH is so disappointed! So far the watermelons (next to them) seem to be doing all right - keeping our fingers crossed!

Carrots, Potatoes, Sugar Beets, Herbs:
    These, at least, seem to be doing well, LOL.

We've put a lot of work into this garden (and orchard) this past year, with a lot of disappointments and little return. I was concerned that DH would be too discouraged by that - he keeps saying how they never had problems like this back home (he grew up on a farm). But luckily last night he talked about the orchard being a good thing, and about expanding the garden beds, about really making good use of the land we have. Usually it's me driving the conversation about self-sufficiency/prepping/homesteading (any of those subjects). It means the world to me when he drives the conversation, knowing that we're in it together. It's going to make my whole day. He even brought up the subject of pygmy goats and chickens... :)

13. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

The only thing I'm harvesting so far is lots and lots of peppers.
    I have your standard green peppers, and lots of what I think are pablanos (according to the gf, I bought them at the grocery store and they werent well labeled) and some jalapenos.
    I have various other hot peppers that are just starting to come in.
    Theres a coupla strawberries trying to come out, and a few tomatoes, but nothing pickable yet.
    I am working on clearing more space to expand the garden next season.

14. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Sorry you lost your crop ,it is such hard work .
    Maybe use pvc hoops and cover it part of the day with shade clothe.
    I was losing my Stevia aka sweet leaf plants from the heat and I covered them with shade clothe,all 23 plants are doing good now.
    The heat is getting to lots of us.Maybe by fall you'll feel better.

15. Meerkat

I'm waiting another week or so.I don't want to have to harden them off so now that they are near the house I can keep better watch on them. its too hot so we have been using shade clothe part of the day on some plants like bell peppers ,stevia, okra.
    I'll do the same with my seedlings.May even use a fan on them if they look too stressed.

16. Possumfam

:) I suppose y'all have already done a soil sample? With all the strange weather, floods, drought, extreme heat, seems everyone is havin' a time w/ the garden. There's always hope for next year....or....even this year....can y'all have a fall garden? Let us know when those chickens come home to roost.

17. Possumfam

STEVIA!!!! Oh my - we had one! Forgot about it. :rolleyes: Guess the heat got it when we weren't looking. I don't know how to use it anyway, but maybe we'll get that figured out and try again next year. What time of year are you supposed to plant those, anyway?

18. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Quit making sense! :p ;)

Nope, no soil sample. :eek: Our small project mushroomed into something really huge, so poor planning and rookie mistakes abound. And you're not kidding with the strange weather an all! We were inundated with so much rain, and now we have fungal issues all over the place (including non-garden plants).

For fall we could do some peas and lettuce, and the like. But we're foregoing that and working on building beds and fences, etc. A huge part of our problem this year was not being able to get beds tilled (new ground) until after the ground dried, and that really screwed up the planting schedule. From then on we've been playing catch-up - whether it's been spraying or feeding or trimming or trellising - we're always behind. I've got a huge list of ways to do it better next year. :D

Really, I'm just thankful for the chance to be learning.

19. Meerkat

I planted mine June I think? I got them at Home Depot ,they were about 5 inches tall,now they are almost 4 feet tall,ones starting to bloom.Bought 6 plants ,they all had several plants in them,gave some to neighbor.
    They like it fairly dry it seems.Let them dry out then water deeply. This worked for us.new bed where there was sod for several years so guess the soil was good,never fertilized them. They looked heat stressed so I put shade clothe a few feet above them.
    I have some drying now to test after grinding them.

20. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Our purple hull peas are up about 6" the butternut and zucchini squash are up too. Turnips are just peaking through. We planted tomatoes, cabbage and collard plants this weekend. Waiting to plant carrots and mustard greens.