Ask an iranian guy anything

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Iranian_pride, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Iranian_pride

Iranian_pride Member

Hi!

I live in Tehran, I am 26 years old and work in a warehouse driving a forklift.

I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding my country you might have.

2. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Welcome to the forum,
    I 'am curious if your part of the world is getting oddball weather patterns like most of the rest.
    And what is the real citizens take on the rest of the world, without involving religion if we can for at least a while :wave:

3. Iranian_pride

Iranian_pride Member

Tehran has always had "oddball weather" in that it could vary greatly. It has to do with the surrounding mountains or something like that. The weather can change pretty quickly.

Real citizens are (very simplified) two main types, rich and poor. Poor people tend to be more religious and more susceptible to propaganda (anti-US, anti-west, pro-Islam). Rich people tend to be more liberal and not that in to religion. For example, I am an atheist. There is a lot of myths regarding Iran as a religious dictatorship, while it is true that Iran is a religious dictatorship, it's also true that you can get by just fine without being very religious.

The only thing is that you will find more doors open if you are a "good Muslim". What nearly all Iranians have in common though is pride for our countries history and beauty. As for negative views of the west, you have a few people with hate for the west above all, in the middle you find people who are a bit angry at the west and wished they wouldn't be so against us and then you find people who want Iran to open up to the west and become more liberal.

I'm somewhere between the second and third. I don't hate the west, but I wished they wouldn't be so against us and I wish our government wouldn't be so against the west.

4. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

:welcome: to the forums!

5. beautifulenigma

beautifulenigma Member

Welcome

Do you celebrate the New Years? If so, what do you do?

6. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

Thanks for the answers, I am also wondering do you or people there see Canada and the USA as different countries or are "we" just the "west"??

7. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

:welcome: Glad to have more members! And hope that your prepping is going well!
    I am more interested in your countries veggies and plants--do you grow your own and if so are they nice passed down heirlooms or have you fallen under the evil monsatanos GMO push and had to give up any of your heirlooms?:confused:

8. Iranian_pride

Iranian_pride Member

We celebrate Nouruz; new light. We celebrate it at the first day the new year with a big festival with lots of food.

In the Muslim world it's the year 1432 now, but we use a different calender, right now it's the year 1389. The 21st of March (in your calender) is when we will have new year.

USA have definitely been given more negative attention than any other western country and it has to do with that many people who are negative to the west see USA as the driving force behind the conflict.

So (very simplified), people who do not like the west see Canada and all the other western allies of USA as just their errand boys. People who like the west see Canada and other western countries as something for Iran to strive for and to try to be a part of.

I can't say how many of which there is, but there are a lot of people here who want Iran to become a democracy and closer to the west.

The sad thing is that in Iran people see this kind of thing as nothing but progress. No one thinks of the dangers, the reduced biodiversity and risk that someone made a mistake while making the GMO.

American companies generally do not operate here (though I suspect there are exceptions). To get an idea, it's more like this:
    Iranian scientists reinvents something that already existed in the west, everyone celebrates the invention and no one ever thinks of the risks.

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    Views from outside our everyday sphere of influence are always welcome and are usually very eyeopening. :welcome:

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

It would be really interesting to know more about daily life in Iran, to give us a perspective of the people other than all the "war news" we get.

I'm sure it would help to see each other as just people, working toward what it takes to carry on from day to day.

What is a typical day like for a regular person in Iran? What freedoms do you have for choosing things like where to live, where to work, and so forth?

11. Iranian_pride

Iranian_pride Member

When it comes to economic freedoms Iran is essentially no different from any western country, you can buy and sell houses as you wish, pick where you work and you pay taxes. Some taxes, like Islamic taxes, are voluntary, but both Muslims and atheist (secularised) "Muslims" generally pay them. The ones that doesn't pay Islamic taxes are generally religious minorities like Jews and Christians.

In the city, and the rich part of the country (Tehran is the highest contributer of GDP) taxes are based on income (both salary and if you for example have sold a house or traded something).

When you get to the poorer regions there are many exempts.

As for daily life, I also think it's very much the same. You go to work and then you can do whatever you want. It's not until you have opinions about how to run the country that you really see the dictatorial nature of the government.

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Well, if we get too noisy about that kind of thing here, we might see some other sides of our government too! :D

I'm enjoying learning the things you have been telling us.

What sort of things do you do for recreation? I mean, just for example, what do YOU like? Are there movie houses, sports fields where people can just go play games, parks or hiking trails? Do people go fishing or hunting? Camping? I know what Americans like to do, espcially things like cook-outs and amusement parks in the summer, and so forth.

But what do you and/or the people of Iran enjoy?

And on a more serious subject, are they afraid that the situation between the US and Iran will worsen? Are there "preppers" in Iran?

Makes you wish we could all just get along, and enjoy life.

13. Iranian_pride

Iranian_pride Member

I have a computer and internet and with that I read a lot, watch films, tv-series and play some games, but there is a lot of censorship on the internet. Bloggers and other opinion makers are often the primary victim of the censorship.

Despite the censorship it is quite easy to find what you want to download or other information that you are looking for (if you know what to look for). The main problem with the censorship is that it makes it hard, or almost impossible, to change public opinion in political areas.

I also go fishing and go to various celebrations and parties. Alcohol is illegal to sell, but none-Muslims can produce their own alcohol for personal use. I have been to some alcohol parties with Christian friends but it's not something I do regularly, nor do I talk about it. Other than that I spend a lot of time with my family. I am not a "closeted" atheist, but I find it unnecessary to show it.

As for your second question, Iranians tend to think either that the US is not a threat or such a big threat that it's not necessary to prepare. Any actual preparations in case of a conflict would be undertaken officially (by the military). Also, we recently had a major terrorist attack on a mosque in our country committed by Sunni Muslims so people tend to focus on internal conflicts more.

I personally would think a conflict with the US would be a catastrophe for us and should be avoided at all cost. Though I think change will happen gradually to a more democratic Iran so I am not that afraid there will be war with the US.

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I agree, and I hope with all my heart that a conflict never happens, and maybe one day our nations will be friends again.

Meanwhile, I'm glad to have "met" you. I don't know what else to ask you right now, so maybe others will have questions to ask.

We'd love to hear about anything you want to tell us. It's very interesting.