As a crow flies ...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by DJgang, Apr 12, 2011.

1. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

I live close to a Nuclear plant. Actually two, I believe.

Is there somewhere online that I can find out just how close I am "as a crow flies" from these.

Even a map of some sort that can show all the plants around me ... So we would know which way to bug out should we have to.

Thanks!! :wave:

2. Raven

Raven Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011

3. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

Google maps may be beneficial. Use the scale at the bottom to determine distance. I use it to plan routes and possible defensive locations.

4. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Yeah, looks like I may have to make my own.

thanks Raven on that site, at least I can take that list and make my own map ;)

5. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

I assume you are near Farley Nuclear Power station. I was there building it as a young Project Engineer in the early 70's.

One of my responsibilities was to maintain the weather station and big weather tower with all the instruments mounted on it to determine wind speeds and directions, temperature, dew point, humidity, barometric pressure etc.

Dothan, AL (where I lived then) is upwind, so you won't have to worry too much in that direction. In case of an accident, the wind will carry a possible radiation plume from south of Columbia, AL toward the direction Valdosta, GA.

If you dig in to the Nuclear Incident Planning documentation (Google) for Farley, you will see most of the scenarios in case something happens.

6. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

Check your phone book. Near the front of ours, it has a map of the area with the plant in the center. It then has concentric circles at every 5 miles so you can see your distance.

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

UncleJoe posted a really cool thread on determining where the right place is to live based on a nuclear-explosion, wind-direction, etc all with a GoogleMap showing the consequences.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f2/ground-zero-ll-2871/

I feel that it might be the right time to bring this thread back up again so that you can put your homeplace into it and see what could be possible with a nuclear reaction (Nuclear Plant) or bomb.