Arthritis relief?

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by mdprepper, Dec 6, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

My doctor just told me that the pain in my knees is arthritis:(. He told me to take Glucosamine, Ibuprofen and something else (I forgot what the name was) over the counter. I would really, really like to not use a "store bought" remedy for pain relief.

I know I have to lose weight and exercise (which is hard to do through the pain). I've tried heat/cold, topical creams, 800 mg Ibuprofen, wrapping it. Nothing really works. :cry:

Any tried and true home remedies? A tincture that works well? A salve I can make at home?

I have started drinking apple cider vinegar and honey (mixed in juice) twice a day. I found that information on-line and figured it could not hurt:scratch, but (if it works) it could take a month to feel any relief.

Any help would be appreciated!:flower:

2. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

do you have a place to swim, swimming (if you actually do laps) is one of the best low-impact exercises for weight loss, plus it reduces almost all of the strain on your joints

3. 41south

41south Well-Known Member

Naproxen and if you can cut out breads, salt and cutting back on meats helps me. I learned the cut out the breads, salt and meats from a fellow that was 72 back then, he is 99 now and still gets around pretty good.

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

My grandpa told me that he needs to keep his joints lubricated, so, he has been taking a halibut-liver-oil-pill every single day for as long as I can remember. It helps him keep the arthritis pain away.

I was talking to him last night on the phone and he was telling me about his garden and on Friday (three days ago) pulled out the last of his carrots and potatoes. He said that he just finished filling his buckets and currently has harvested (and processed) 15 ice-cream pails of black-berries, 21 pails of strawberries, about 30 gallons of carrots (they did very well this year), 45 gallons of potatoes plus corn, beans, rhubarb, peas, etc. He is just shy of 95 right now, so, he only worked a portion of his "small" backyard garden.

He was a little disappointed that the black-bears took some harvest as well, but, that is to be expected in his neck of the woods.

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yes, Naproxen was what I took when cashiering on my feet for 8 hours (and I have bunyons that are uncomfortable), and lifted heavy items all day.

Now, my husband read about grapeseed complex--walmart--took it and his legs stopped hurting and he's had trouble for months. He only took it for a few days and it being so cold here, we're surprised it worked so well, so fast.

Couldn't hurt to try it. Inexpensive.

6. laserman56

laserman56 New Member

Arthritis help

I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis for over a year now and have been using Apitherapy. They are products of the Bee hive including Bee Stings
    I have been off any kind of Medication since Aug. when I took my last Prednisone they also had me on Methotrexate till I read the side effects, and I knew that it would kill me before the RA would.
    So a year ago I started beekeeping as a two fold hobby. To supply me with the bees, honey, pollen, Propolis and Royal jelly.
    Products of the Hive - American Apitherapy Society
    Well I can say that I am glad that I took this course of action, I feel better and am almost pain free without the drugs.
    There is a lot of good Info here on all the good healing things from the beehive.
    American Apitherapy Society
    Maybe I should start a thread about beehive products and there benefits.

If you need more information or have questions feel free to contact me.
    Good luck
    Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010
  7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Omega-3 (fish oil), garlic (anti-inflammatory), Apple Cider Vinegar (a teaspoon in a full glass of water once or twice a day), Vitamin D.

These are the things I use, and I feel more mobile and flexible now. Almonds help my husband's arthritis.

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I for one would greatly appreciate it :2thumb:

9. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

10. alanz

alanz Active Member

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I'll share this for those who don't know--honey takes care of lots of allergy problems...but it must be from honey bees within 50 miles of your residence or it won't work---we get honey from the Amish here, and bread/milk.

12. iprepare143

iprepare143 ExCommunicated

Firstly,Wrap red flannel around painful joints and leave it overnight.
    Secondly, a gentle massage with warm olive oil.
    Third, you can give a lukewarm enema to cleanse the bowels.
    I think, these will beneficial for you. try these treatments.

13. laserman56

laserman56 New Member

Thats if your using it for the Allergy's, It needs to be local along with the pollen.
    As for raw uncooked and unfiltered Honey it good for a plethora of things.
    Honey - American Apitherapy Society
    There is a Whole medicine chest in a bee hive!!! All you have to do is a little searching on the web :2thumb:

Alan

14. popandnan

popandnan Member

home remedy for arthritis

My husband and I drink an 8 oz glass of water with a TB of apple cider vinegar every day. It helps us, kind of a nasty dose (lol) but you will get used to it. ACV is good for many ailments. :p

15. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

I have an issue with my knees called Osgood-Schlatters Disease. Anyway it cause a protrusion to extend from the bottom of the knee. It causes pain similar to Arthritis (sometimes worse). Exercise (running, lifting weights) made it worse at first, hurting so bad sometimes I couldn't walk. It took about a month of laziness to realize it won't getting better. So I started exercising again, but not very hard just stopping when it hurt. After about 3 months the pain decreased. That helped a whole lot!

Forward to now. I dislocated my knee cap on one leg, pulled and tore a few ligaments in the other. Now I can just be walking and completely dislocate my knee. Hurting quite bad. I have still been doing exercise, bike riding, easy jogging (otherwise it hurts the joints bad) swimming. All have helped with the issues involoving my knees. LOSE WEIGHT!!! Key if you want it to stop hurting so bad. I have lost about 20 lbs.

Just make sure to do low impact exercising. Over a course of months you should see a decrease in pain. I drink LOTS of milk. About 2 gallons myself a week. Don't know if that contributes or not though.

Maybe you can find something useful on this website.
    The Virtual Sports Injury Clinic - Sports Injuries, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment.

16. iprepare143

Arthrities Relief

You can use the physiotherapist, they can helps in joints movements. It really helps a lot.

17. HardenedPrepper

HardenedPrepper BetterSafeThanSorry

Hi there, I hate the thought of putting any type of man made synthetic anything in my body, I feel better using more natural ways. I don't think cannabis should be used recreationally, it should be used what it's intended for and that is medicine, theres alot of info out there on using it for arthritis and alot of other ailments, it's not a cure but it does help tremendously.. the only reason cannabis isn't legal is because it doesn't kill. Please don't think I'm a pot head druggie burn out, I'm not, I use it every once in awhile to help me deal with the pain in my lower back from the spinal fusion I had 2 yrs ago..and theres no side effects like the synthetic drugs the docters want you to take..

Arthritis and medical marijuana

18. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

Its jsut like their is a cure for cancer, HIV, AIDS, but you can't give it out. Otherwise their profits would be killed and you have to have some way of population control.

I wouldn't even begin to talk about Cannabis. Causes way to much up roar from supporters and non-supporters, not to mention the fact the US government considers it illegal. Technically it would be illegal whether or not it is allowed by state constitution, the United States of America's Constitution is the SUPREME law of the land. It is uncontested. Makes me wonder how anyone could make changes to it.

Just don't do anything illegal. :p

19. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

As soon as the government figures out how to tax it pot will be legal.
    Come to think about it doesn't the medical pot get taxed?
    It should be taxed and regulated just like alcohol.
    The so called war on drugs is way to profitable and that is another big reason it's illegal.

20. iprepare143

Arthritis Relief

My father have an arthritis and he eat Ginger everyday in the early morning. Ginger is a fantastic herb and it helps in relieving arthritis.Moreover,cayenne pepper or red pepper is another wonderful herb, with a wide range of medical properties to heal the body.