Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used the ECW 4-bag system in the late 90s and early 00s when only SOCOM had them. They were alright. I used them in Norway, Alaska, and the 'Stan.
Honestly though? Any bag rated for below -20F is pointless. At that point, you should be building some form of shelter and have a fire.

Even in a tactical situation, we built shelters of some sort. In Norway we built snowcaves, in Alaska I just dug a snow trench. In the Stan we never stopped moving long enough to worry about it.

For post-.mil, I've had really good luck with two sleeping systems. One, since I cowboy'd for a living for so long, I used a canvas bedroll with about six thick quilts in it. I've slept through a -20F night with it and woke up sweating. They're as near waterproof as you can hope, far more comfortable than any sleeping bag ever made, and less expensive than most sleeping bags.

The only real problem with a cowboy canvas bedroll is the total lack of man-portability. You have to have them in the truck or on a packhorse.

For foot-mobile travel, I've had really good luck with an amazingly cheap sleeping bag. Right after I got out of the Army I spent a year teaching wilderness survival skills in Utah. We were issued NEBO Teton sleeping bags (about $100 new). Best sleeping bag I ever used. Most sleeping bags are rated at the temperature stated...as long as you are on a sleeping pad, in a tent. The NEBOs are rated on bare ground. They're about 7 pounds, so they're not ultra-lite by any stretch of the imagination, but for a guy who regularly carried a 90+ pound rucksack just to stay in shape, it wasn't too bad.

I've looked at getting them for the GF and myself for BOBs.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts