Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In line with the "BONK" thread...

Has anyone considered personal armor? I have my kevlar vest with rifle plates, but that won't stop an arrow or a blade. I've been thinking for a while about building what is called a "coat of plates"; it is basically a vest with many small pieces of metal riveted between layers of leather or heavy canvas. These were popular with archers and men-at-arms, as they didn't require an armorer's skill to repair and were cheaper to buy and repair.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/Oldwolfe/cop2.jpg

Another alternative, which I also have plans to make if anyone is interested, is the "Battle of Visby"- styled banded armor, rather like the old Roman Lorica Segmentata.

http://www.djurfeldt.com/patrik/bilder/rustning2.jpg

Of course, you can always build a more modern suit of plate armor, but that is a bit beyond my armoring capabilities.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I started to learn how to make chain-maille. I made a roller to turn the wire into rings, I made rings and put them carefully into a box, I made a 4" x 6" weave ... and that is where things stopped ...

Chain-maille is supposed to be strong enough (based on the weave) to stop most knives - but - super-pointy-ones (like a sharpened screwdriver or an awl) can still work their way through.

As far as I know, there isn't an armor that can stop the use of an awl or arrow - in those cases, go the other way ...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Yeah, I've started on a piece of mail before, as well. Made the hand crank, turned the rings, cut the rings, and made about a 5" x 6" section... you did better than me!

You are correct; a poinard or stilleto could penetrate rings, as could a bodkin pointed arrow fired by a strong arm. Mail is good to cover flexible areas where you can't have plate: armpits, behind the knee, etcetera. It is also good under a basic set of plate or articulated plates.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
A while back..meaning a few years

somebody was turning out some real serious chain maille for scuba divers for shark protection.. I watched a vid of a shark grabbing a diver and then letting him go , it swam off.. I'd think it could just jerk an arm off ...I'd want a high cap bang stick..maybe 10 ft long!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Remember, chain maile is not very good against blunt attacks. ( sorry, historian and armor maker) It was made to combat sword hits and cuts. Arrows could bust the rings apart. hits with a mace, flail or simple club not only did impact but shoved the rings into you also. It may help with some types of modern attack, such as a guy with a knife, but it's not the best. Then again, my vest isn't good against ice picks or 22 rounds either :)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember, chain maile is not very good against blunt attacks. ( sorry, historian and armor maker) It was made to combat sword hits and cuts. Arrows could bust the rings apart. hits with a mace, flail or simple club not only did impact but shoved the rings into you also. It may help with some types of modern attack, such as a guy with a knife, but it's not the best. Then again, my vest isn't good against ice picks or 22 rounds either :)
Right. this is why a padded gambeson was always worn under the mail.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
didn't they just recall a bunch of inserts? :eek:

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Shear thickening fluids have been known for many years; cornstarch and water can be used to demonstrate the basic principle. Under unstressed conditions, it flows slowly like a viscous liquid; when struck, it hardens in a millisecond. They are also called "dilatant" fluids. The treatment of the fabric prevents the fibers from spreading apart or "windowing," which keeps sharp objects from entering. That means that not only would materials treated with shear thickening fluids be better against conventional threats such as bullets, but would also resist puncture from shrapnel. The materials would also remain light – only 20 percent heavier after treatment - and flexible, which means they could be used for much-needed protection of the limbs.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
didn't they just recall a bunch of inserts? :eek:
Yeah, they did, which is bull$hit and an entirely different issue... can't believe they would issue that crap in the first place. Fortunately, mine is not affected; different company.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
In line with the "BONK" thread...

Has anyone considered personal armor? I have my kevlar vest with rifle plates, but that won't stop an arrow or a blade. I've been thinking for a while about building what is called a "coat of plates"; it is basically a vest with many small pieces of metal riveted between layers of leather or heavy canvas. These were popular with archers and men-at-arms, as they didn't require an armorer's skill to repair and were cheaper to buy and repair.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l141/Oldwolfe/cop2.jpg

Another alternative, which I also have plans to make if anyone is interested, is the "Battle of Visby"- styled banded armor, rather like the old Roman Lorica Segmentata.

http://www.djurfeldt.com/patrik/bilder/rustning2.jpg

Of course, you can always build a more modern suit of plate armor, but that is a bit beyond my armoring capabilities.
Great minds think alike,but I've been thinking of the 18th century German "felt"Armor.it WILL stop a blade as well as a low powered bullet.

·
O.o I drank wha?-Socrates
30 Posts
'Tis easy to make a coat of plates. Some material (denim, linen, leather) to anchor the metal plates to, rivets or 20-22 gauge wire to bind the plates together and to your flexible material (leather, multiple layers of linen or denim) and, oh yeah, remember to mount the plates on the OUTSIDE of the flexible material. Mounted inside, a couple of slashes with a sharp blade and your coat of plates will become large galoshes.

I knew a fellow who once made a maille hauberk using interlocking (4 in 1 pattern) lock washers. It was impervious (no penetration) to a 158 gr LRN .38 caliber revolver round fired at a distance of 10 feet. While no one was wearing the hauberk at the moment of impact, with a good gambeson, I feel it could have been survivable.

eldarbeast

·
Banned
54 Posts
WEAR it all day, every day, in cold and heat. :)

and it will kill you without any enemy presense. I'll stick to my 4 lbs of concealed Kevlar vest and shorts, thanks very much. If shtfm, there will be enough .22lr ammo to make the sword thing very unviable, for at least 20 years, so this medieval stuff is for the birds, actually. Just be sure to stash the .22's in ammo cans, or it will go bad in 1-2 years from moisture absorbtion.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and it will kill you without any enemy presense. I'll stick to my 4 lbs of concealed Kevlar vest and shorts, thanks very much. If shtfm, there will be enough .22lr ammo to make the sword thing very unviable, for at least 20 years, so this medieval stuff is for the birds, actually. Just be sure to stash the .22's in ammo cans, or it will go bad in 1-2 years from moisture absorbtion.
While I certainly wouldn't abandon my kevlar, it won't stop a puncture. The vast majority of kevlar vests are not rated to stop stabbing or slashing attacks, and the stab vests are not rated to stop bullets. So, unless you want to wear another vest on top of your kevlar, you may want to consider the possibility of "going medieval" on your armor.;)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great minds think alike,but I've been thinking of the 18th century German "felt"Armor.it WILL stop a blade as well as a low powered bullet.
Magus, do you have a picture of said armor? I must confess to being rather less well versed in the more modern armor of the later centuries.

·
O.o I drank wha?-Socrates
30 Posts
Shucks, lickit, I can defeat any kevlar vest of any type merely by shifting my point of aim to one's face...

Please explain your comment, "and it will kill you without any enemy presense..."

eldarbeast

1 - 20 of 21 Posts