Armasight Spark Core, the poor man's PVS14?

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by BlueZ, Apr 25, 2017.

1. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

I started with a ANPVS2 then as the tech went up tried to keep up. The actual clearest I have used was a Russian gen one(think) had a big ole obj lense , troops from Latvia that I was training had them, About 25 years ago I bought my first one, a Litton that looks just like a PVS 14 but was not called that at the time and is a touch bigger, looks just like one.. I have used it off and on for those years and it still works great. No gain control but must be gated as it cuts out on to much light, has a IR ilum, on-off-IR flip switch. Then I picked up a less money , armsight PVS 14 kinda lower end. Only 1 grand new with case. It works OK not quite as good as the old Litton but close. I'm not connected any more but when I was I tried a lot of foreign NVG,s some are real good. I would like to see the new combined Heat, Magnetic res., NVG combo units, they claim you can see thru walls . That concerns me a little of misuse. But I wish I could afford the tech.

BlueZ likes this.
  2. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

I am bumping this thread because recently there has been some more interest in this subject

3. Cidney00

Cidney00 Member

I’m interested to see some pics on this. I can probably help further this topic a bit. I spend a solid 20-40 hours a month with a harris tube pvs14 in my face.

BlueZ likes this.
  4. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Wow how cool is that! :D

I dont spend nearly enough time in hrs under NVG.

You can see one file as attachment in first post.
    I will add another here showing yours truly wearing it.. you cna see its a bit bulkier than a PVS14 but can be configured similar

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  5. Cidney00

Cidney00 Member

Have you had a chance to get any pictures of what it looks like through the unit? How far can you clearly see without running illuminators on a no moon night?

BlueZ likes this.
  6. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Sorry no pics.. my economy unit is at the BOL right now.
    Performance is not in the same league as a gen 3+ ..
    On a no moon night I need IR illu in most sitations.

On a clearing on a moonless night was able to see maybe 40 yards and on a night with moon maybe 200+ yards (but so would a healthy well adapted human eye)

Still a significant difference from unaided. and I was able to engage targets up to 100 yards without IR illu (but IR laser of coruse) on a moonlit night.
    W/o Moon can go 100 yard with my rifles IR light for engagement distance.. maybe longer..

if I were to do it again I would proably use the Armasight gen2+ unit which cna be had for as little as 1300 bucks and includes a gain adjust... probaly a lot more capability.

But I wanted to find out whats the lowest amount of money and still have menaingful nighttime engagement capability.

On this unit I find myself using IR WML a lot more than (dense vegetation and/or moonless night) vs the PVS14 but if condtions are not too bad can do w/o.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. Cidney00

Cidney00 Member

For an entry level setup thats not bad to be honest when you compare cost vs capability. Next time i head out i’ll take some pictures down mine again. Weather has been keeping the hogs hunkered down so not much point in the drive. Generally with a standard tube I regularly engage hogs at 150-200 yards using a dbal with ir laser and built in illuminator. Pretty rare that I use my ir wml. If you decide to get a ir/visible wml light down the road the surefire m300 vampire is awesome and worth every penny.

White phosphorous tubes take everything to a whole new level. I can make a solid id on a larger animal (hog) at 350 yards in good conditions. 250 in poor conditions with my thin film green tube. My buddy runs white phos tube and has roughly another 100 yards of id range in the same conditions. Is it worth 5k I’m not sure but it’s definitely a clearer picture and excellent contrast.

BlueZ likes this.
  8. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

OK another 2 cent's, remember IR can be seen by others,directly right back to you, as well as the light (OBJ) end, as it hits your cheek bones makes you a target. Try to use in tactical scenario with out IR laser or light. In the 70,s we used a IR spot light mounted on a trl or jeep to light fire bases. If the enemy had NV we would have been in bad shape.

9. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    Well aware of these issues but do appreciate the spirit :)

I use IR only when strictly necessary.

The issue you pointed your finger on also means IMHO that teams equipped with gen1+ and gen2 IR can detect better equipped teams early on if said team is arrogant enough to use IR.

Personally in the dark my primary dection tool is my ears.
    When I start engaging and we go noisey thats when the IR light goes on ,.. if needed..

IR laser I also do only instant on... Though many folks seem to just leave 'em on.

I know a Tier 2 guy who told me he usually just leaves his IR laser on (which is not my intent)

10. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

Your Right !. I think to many people watch TV and think that is the way to do it. I had a sterling aircraft co red dot tritium sight on my XM 177 38 years ago and the Guy with the PVS2 said he could see it when he looked at me.

11. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

PS. Wish I had about 12 grand extra to buy a new NV/THERM/MAG ETC combo sight, some of the new systems are great.

BlueZ likes this.
  12. Cidney00

Cidney00 Member

IMG_5304.jpg

My fugly lil lady and rig atm. Hoping to add a flir breach with red queen bridge mount shortly plus a new legit paint job.

BlueZ likes this.
  13. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Cidney.. very professional set-up. I would like to pick your bran on your comms set-up.
    Do u use commercial gear? or left over .mil gear?

14. Cidney00

Cidney00 Member

Generally we use commercial prc-152 knock offs which is for lack of a better description a quality baofeng stuffed into a military shell and has all the military hook ups for our radios. Sometimes a few contractor buddies show up with their toys that are way out of my budget and I’ll run one of those. The 152 knock off makes life easy since everything between the connector and my headset stays the same no matter what “military” radio I plug into.

My headset is a dual comm single down lead Peltor comtac iii. At the moment I run a basic mil surp push to talk. Eventually I’ll order myself a dual comm ptt from atlantic signal. Currently I don’t need to run a impedance filter with the 152 knock off. Other civilian radios may or may not require one.

15. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Can you give me some links of the affordable stuff thats still "good enough"?
    My group is looking for comms solutions.

16. Cidney00

Cidney00 Member

Honestly I would run some baofeng uv5 or uv8 units with an in ear plug and whatever preference mic under your ear pro. I’ve found it is one of those areas where it is functional gear for a good price that will work and jumps to big money without much of a mid range.

BlueZ likes this.
  17. BlueZ

BlueZ Well-Known Member

Those white phosphorous units have been coming down in price:
    With 10yr warranty:

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS1...mance-model-3rd-Gen-Autogated-NVDPVS14WHP.htm