armadillos

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by rayparkerjr, Oct 20, 2008.

1. rayparkerjr

rayparkerjr Guest

I know a method of catching armadillos without a trap but can you eat them without getting sick?

2. DuckA

DuckA Member

People do eat them, but I've been told the carry leprosy. There is a woman that lives about 10 miles from me that got it after messing with an armadillo.

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Would cooking it thoroughly kill that?

4. billythekid

billythekid Guest

Do you have to ingest leprosy germs to have them infect you or is getting it on your skin enough?

5. replicant

replicant Guest

Is there a cure for leprosy?

6. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

# During the Great Depression, armadillos were known as “Hoover Hogs” because they were eaten instead of the “chicken in every pot” that Hoover had promised.
    # Armadillos can contract and carry leprosy (Hansen’s Disease). However, the only known way they can transfer this disease is when humans eat undercooked armadillo meat.

Do people really eat armadillos?

Yes. In many areas of Central and South America, armadillo meat is often used as part of an average diet. I have heard that some peoples of South America keep small varieties of armadillos as edible housepets. The meat is said to taste like fine-grained, high-quality pork.

7. surfinbird

surfinbird Guest

Do armadillos bite / make good pets?

8. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

As with most wild animals No the don't make good pets.

https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/pets.html
    https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/care.html
    Rescued Armadillo shows problems with exotic pet trade | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | News

9. kc5fm

kc5fm Emergency Manager

Chicken Joke

OK ... I can't resist.

Question: Why did the Chicken cross the road?

Answer: To show the Armadillo it could be done!

:D

10. Ernie V

Ernie V Guest

I can't imagine eating Armadillo and now after hearing that may carry leprosy, NO THANKS!! lol And I'm also curious to know how you get it's shell off before cooking it? And when do you know when he is cooked enough? You guys have me interested now!

11. BUCU

BUCU Guest

Take my advice, you do not want to eat an armadillo. They taste HORRIBLE, and they can make you very sick.

12. twilightbluff

twilightbluff Guest

How would get the shell off anyways?