Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting idea came to me as I was reading and posting to all these threads regarding where to go, what to do, who to give to, etc etc.

First off I want to say that this isnt a thread to tell me why Im wrong and that the S is definitely going to HTF. I would tend to agree with you... I dont think things will be any better in one year or maybe even ten years best case scenario.

So, are you prepared if nothing happens? If everything stays roughly static (prices, politically, economically, unemployment and such - hypothetically) Have your preps gotten to the point that if the S doesnt HTF are you in trouble? Are you going to be kicking yourself?

The reason I ask is because I think you have to prepare for both SHTF and no SHTF. Its a balancing act. I think most of you will just keep living the way you always have and that probably means you have prepped sensibly... others will do very well if SHTF but might kick themselves if it doesnt.

Im just curious. Humor me? :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pretty much okay either way. I make it day by day, with what little discretionary funds I have going to preps. I do without some things I'd like to have, but I have peace of mind. If nothing happens before I die, the hardware and consumables go to family to sell or use.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
We don't have anything that won't be used in our "normal " life, just more sooner, and unless we see rampent DEflation it is money well spent.

·
803 Posts
An interesting idea came to me as I was reading and posting to all these threads regarding where to go, what to do, who to give to, etc etc.

First off I want to say that this isnt a thread to tell me why Im wrong and that the S is definitely going to HTF. I would tend to agree with you... I dont think things will be any better in one year or maybe even ten years best case scenario.

So, are you prepared if nothing happens? If everything stays roughly static (prices, politically, economically, unemployment and such - hypothetically) Have your preps gotten to the point that if the S doesnt HTF are you in trouble? Are you going to be kicking yourself?

The reason I ask is because I think you have to prepare for both SHTF and no SHTF. Its a balancing act. I think most of you will just keep living the way you always have and that probably means you have prepped sensibly... others will do very well if SHTF but might kick themselves if it doesnt.

Im just curious. Humor me? :D
No brainer for me. Heck no it won't bother me!!! :congrat: Shoot just because I'm trying to be somewhat prepared for whatever may happen down the road, if we stay solvent and recover from all that's wrong, then you bet I would perfer that. As far as my lifestyle change I've made over the last 30+ years, I would have done that regardless.

My prepping is no more than glorified insurance. Only I can eat mine....:2thumb:

Sure I've enjoyed most of all the training I've tried to do, but living even on my reteat with ample food and water, having to possibliy protect me and mine all the time is not what I call fun. It would be a stressful life at best.

Just saying...

Jimmy

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sensible responses... about what I would have expected though I would still like to hear from others. :wave:

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I would do the same thing I'm doign now to save money.I buy what I can when its on sale.I'd love to have a couple solar panels for fan in case we lose power,but otherwise I just buy for dogs and chics and garden.

I'm trying to save for dentist now to replace a filling.it cost more than when it was real gold they used.:scratch

I'd prepare more if we could .

We are working on boat to take to river if they don't suck all the water out it and kill all the fish before we can get there.:eek:

beach trip was called off because of smoke.So we just took the old bus for a trip to the city and had a little picnic in it in the parking lot.:dunno:Took the dogs,they love krystals.All our dogs are gypsys and very well on trips.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm trying to save for dentist now to replace a filling.it cost more than when it was real gold they used.:scratch
Totally off topic but you should be able to request they use gold. Personally I think the other stuff they use looks better but its not worth anything if it falls out. At least when you are old and toothless you can live off the value of your fillings right?

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Totally off topic but you should be able to request they use gold. Personally I think the other stuff they use looks better but its not worth anything if it falls out. At least when you are old and toothless you can live off the value of your fillings right?
LOL,I'm already old,not toothless'yet'.:2thumb:

I thought it was on topic.:eek:oops:

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL,I'm already old,not toothless'yet'.:2thumb:

I thought it was on topic.:eek:oops:
Im sorry, I meant my reply was off topic.. but then I can hijack my own thread if I can hijack yours right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
In which ways ?

Many great answers to Ant's questions. Most were about expenses and space, and caches. What about psychologically? Are we prepared to be static then? When the Veterans Affairs quit shuffling me about, when I hit 5 years cancer free, at both times I noticed a strange mix of relief and disappointment. I was all prepped for the worst and , while I was thankful. I had no idea what the heck to do now.
Does anyone think of this: Things are going okay, now what?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Look, seriously, I do not like to shop----so, I can't see any drawbacks for NOT having to shop for the next 5 years!!!:congrat:
My dh says it makes him feel so secure to know if anything happens, he and I can sit it out and not want for anything...except those darn watermelons he brings home every day!!:ignore:

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
If the S does not HTF I have wasted a whole lot of money, time, effort, worrying, conversation, blogging, wrinkle growth, sarcasm, farming, canning, tobacco growing, cheese making, rum mash, hoarding, silver purchases, ammo buying, beer making, and cigar rolling for nothing! H**y S**t where's the Tylenol!:nuts:

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many great answers to Ant's questions. Most were about expenses and space, and caches. What about psychologically? Are we prepared to be static then? When the Veterans Affairs quit shuffling me about, when I hit 5 years cancer free, at both times I noticed a strange mix of relief and disappointment. I was all prepped for the worst and , while I was thankful. I had no idea what the heck to do now.
Does anyone think of this: Things are going okay, now what?
This is a big part of what I was getting at -- good questions. Some of us are invested... invested psychologically and we should be prepped in case our investment fails. I think that is the 'line in the sand' where if you cross over it you have gone overboard. That is -- if you have a problem with the possibility of things actually staying the same (or getting better).

Financially I know I will be better off if things get better or even stay the same. Psychologically it doesnt matter to me because I know God is in control and its all details.

Keep up the posts.. I think this is interesting considering 99% of our threads are posted with idea of SHTF as a forgone conclusion -- which it is not (as likely as it seems).

·
Registered
61 Posts
We preped for Y2K an nothing but a couple boxes of dry powdered milk was throwed out ( deep freeze problems ) an sold a few oil lamps at yard sales ( Now I have re stocked ) So I don't think I'll be kicking my butt over any thing we did or didn't do ,, In fact I'm still at the point that if somethng happened right now ,I would be kicking my butt for what I haven't got ready . I would rather go threw hard times now then think of my grand kids having to go threw it for I have "OLD TIME "knowledge that the younger generation is lost to.. This old body can't do work like I once did but my mouth an brain can still works to guide others.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Some of us are invested... invested psychologically and we should be prepped in case our investment fails.

Not so as I see it---I don't get real upset because I don't get to use that auto insurance because we didn't have a wreck or stolen vehicle...I don't get real upset because I don't get to use that homeowner's because my house isn't swept away in a flood, burned, or blown away by a tornado...

I'm invested, but only because it's the law...this 'prepping' investment is my doing, my decision, showing personal responsibility on my part..or maybe just because I don't like being hungry or cold..:ignore:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've always lived the more self-sufficient, conservative lifestyle anyway. If nothing happens, I'll still be fine, growing food, staying outta debt, etc. and doing what I want to do. I've always enjoyed the contingency planning and scenario creation mindgames, and prepping is really just an extension of that. Kind of like a really serious hobby...

Financially, I'd be better off if nothing happened, but I think a lot of us would be living like this regardless. I always tell the few people I talk to about this that I'm not sacrificing anything I need to do today to in order to prepare for the worst tomorrow.

It's a really interesting question and I'm glad you asked it.

·
446 Posts
We pray for the best and prepare for the worst. It wouldn't bother me one bit if the S didn't HTF but we are ready if it does. Like Jerry said, if I go before it does, the family knows where everything is and nothing will be wasted. :2thumb:

Tim

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

So, are you prepared if nothing happens?
I would prefer that nothing happens but I have spent thousands of dollars on things I wouldn't normally buy. We have a good six months of food right now but much of it is stuff we wouldn't normally eat. For example, we have 100 cans each of Campbell's Tomato, Chicken Noodle, and Split Pea With Ham soups. The stuff is good for three years. At some point we'll either start eating it ourselves or we'll donate it to the local food pantry. I've also bought guns and ammo and I don't hunt. I bought a couple of kerosene stoves and I don't go camping. We also have about 120 boxes of cereal. In the next couple of months we'll have to start rotating it. I'll have to go through the 7 large storage totes and start pulling out the boxes with the earliest expiration dates.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts