Are you physically prepared to survive?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by RevWC, Jul 16, 2011.

1. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

Are you physically prepared to survive?

I went skydiving last weekend too prepare for the coming doom and realized at 57 I am not in the shape I should be for skydiving or more importantly surviving.

Can I walk 5 miles to fill a bucket of water and then carry it back?

Can I work in the field all day tending my crops?

Can I work all day and go hunting in the evening and bring the game home?

I have increased my daily exercise program mostly for future skydiving (tomorrow) and hopefully not for survival. Without proper conditioning I realized that even the smallest injury could keep from performing simple tasks. The only way to reduce these types of injuries is to stay fit. In the process I feel better and have more energy.

Making sure that I am physically prepared to take on whatever challenge is thrown at me will not guarantee that I will be free from injury, but could be the determining factor in surviving the landing while skydiving or surviving the crash of this economy and the USA as we once new it.
    misc pics of skydiving 016.jpg

2. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Skydiving?Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good plane?:eek:Just kiddign some peopel have to have danger in their life and I'm one of them since I smoke and so far the smokers in my family never make it be much older than I am now.
    I have always been blessed with lots of energy.I played softball up to 50 oldest one in the my league.This was a task considering it was co-ed team when I was use to women only.
    Now I dig in dirt turn compost,was dancing a lot and riding bike several miles a week on dirt roads until my knee went out.I work past the pain now and its better.
    Am I in good shape?Better than most women my age but smoking could change that any day.Maybe because I do so much my lungs still hold up. :confused:

My husband is disabled so its hard on us both to keep all the work up.He still does what he can nd sometimes too much but it keeps him going.
    We could survive for awhile in place,far as bug out ,it would be an emergency only situation.

3. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I'm physically prepared to live in my house for up to a year. I don't own farmland. I don't know how anyone could grow enough food to feed themselves and also be able to fight off hordes of starving people trying to take what they have. The bigger the farm the bigger the target you are and the harder it is to detect those people in time to defend yourself against them.

4. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Sadly I still get sore. Today is a rest & recover day, yesterday I humped 50# of supplies up 3,200 foot elevation climb, and back 6 miles into the wilderness. I'll haul the guns & ammo be buried next week. Being 65 sucks.

5. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

somehow I double posted - still got some learning to do

6. Possumfam

Possumfam Well-Known Member

SKYDIVING? Someone PLEASE tell me that's not a prerequisite for prepping! I'M GONNA DIE! I'm w/ Meerkat, the plane wasn't crashing or anything, and you voluntarily jumped out??? :rolleyes:

No, not in the shape I should be...and got some doctor appts. coming up that I'm not looking forward to. Got a couple different structural probs. w/ my spine. I wonder if I jumped out of a plane, could fear tense me up enough to put it back correctly.

7. Meerkat

LOL,yep they would have a problem throwing me out of a plane,much less me jumping out of one on purpose.:eek:

My mothers first husband jumped out of one in ww11,his shoot did'nt open,she was a widow after onlt a few weeks marriage.

My joints are going out ,dr.s say too much use,but I'm not sure about that.

8. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

UGH...this is not a good thread for me. I'm working at it, but it's a slow process.....

Can still do anything I ever did, just takes longer, with more breaks and those recovery days....o my gosh...

Jimmy

9. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Pretty physically fit. I run a little more than three mile, three times a week, and work out with weights two days a week. I also do 40 sit-ups and 30 push-ups every day before I take my shower. I need to work on my upper body strength a bit more, but I am pretty comfortable my core strength and cardio fitness level.

10. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

This is something I've struggled with for some time now. I used to be an athlete, but that was a couple decades ago. Since then my asthma has taken a toll. It really knocked me on my butt the past 6 weeks, and my frustration level is pretty high right now. I'm working with the doctor to get it under control, but if we have a major meltdown the physical fitness issue will be a major problem for me, especially if I'm unable to get meds.

11. mdmdmd

mdmdmd Member

This is at least ONE area that I am feeling good with. I run 5 miles twice a week, and do weight/ functional training with cardio at least twice a week also. It has helped immensely with energy, and also is a great stress reducer.

12. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

many things have changed for us. dh had a massive heart attack and has only about 20 % of his heart left. I have RA and don't have a lot of easy mobility. we live by ourselves and are finding it hard. but what I can't do dh still can and what he can't do I can. guess we will work it out

13. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I used to run and work out with weights, and I found out it really didn't keep me in shape for other activities like gardening and firewood cutting. I felt good, though!

Skydiving? Yeah, I'm one of them that they'd have to toss out of the plane!

I do know I can push 2 full five-gallon water jugs a mile and a half home in a wheel barrel, including up a couple of hills, which is 80 lbs. of water. I know I can pull those same jugs in a sled on the snow in the winter, same route, same weight.

I know I can ride my bicycle 14 miles round trip to the post office for the mail, or 16 miles round trip to the little market on the highway. I've also made the 40-mile round trip to the nearest town on my bicycle.

I know I can work from sun-up to sun-down in the garden. I know my husband, MMM, can walk five miles every day on snowshoes, though the mountains, checking his trapline for 2 months.

But I sure get achy sooner, ache longer, and ache in places I didn't know could ache! :D

14. Meerkat

Hope you can get some meds to store for that.I had a bad breathing spell in foot hills of N.Ga. a few years ago.I was just getting over flu. something I have only got 2 times in my life.Bless your heart try to stoke up on meds.

15. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

That is actually a really great point, Sue; train how you fight. Anyone who has chopped wood can tell you that it works a whole different set of muscles than anything at the gym. I chopped up some roots today, and I can definitely feel it in my back and shoulders.

It is for this reason that I also periodically train with actual weapons. Stand a 6' four-by-four vertically, and brace it with several two-by-fours so that it stands by itself. I took old mountain bike tires and wrapped them around the area that I planned on hitting, to round it off a bit more, and to absorb some of the shock of impact. I use it as a "pell", a training tool that European swordsmen used for centuries to train. Hit it with a wooden practice sword, or buy a long, thick oak dowel from the hardware store and use that instead.

I honestly used to do it a lot more often, and work out with weights a bit less, but I have found that targeting specific muscle groups definitely pays off more, in terms of building muscle mass. Muscles burn fat, and help support joints, for greater overall health.

16. Meerkat

My sister in laws granny died about 6 yrs ago,she was 105 yr.old almost 106.She never exercised aday in her life,neither did her son who just died at 87 a bad alcoholic chain smoker for 70 yr.s,a truck driver.
    Even Jack lalane did'nt live to 100.I think some exercise is good for us but too much is not.I get plenty and have always been very active.But there seems to be a happy medium somewhere.Dr.s tell me I overuse my joints because I don't have artritis ,only knees,hips and shoulders give me problems.

17. Meerkat

Tree stumps almost killed me a couple months ago! I planted around the suckers until I can slowly dig more aound them this fall and winter.I thought my chest had exploded,will never touch a pic again,too old now.

My husband use to make numb chucks dissapear.He could them every way but loose when he was younger.he stood between 2 trees and learned how to use them.One day he was showing my mother and he wracked himself upside the head with them right between the eyes,blood spurted out and he almost passed out.My mother screamed call an ambulance!:eek:He was ok after we stopped the bleeding.

18. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

I had a physiotherapist a few years back who worked up a conditioning program for me that involved no actual exercise, just managing everyday tasks to balance out the body parts and provide physical conditioning.

Farm work, gardening, yard work, housework, child care, office work, building maintenance, living in three stories can all contribute to a rather heavy exercise regime.

I have always considered most 'exercise' boring and a waste of calories, money and time. lol

19. Kursac

Kursac Member

I have been in better shape in the past but I do know how to do it. I own a great gym in my home and also have one put together in my warehouse. I am also a long distance bicycle rider. I have had a rather difficult year at work & it has taken my focus away from what I have done for my body & hobbies. Some times life gets in the way.

20. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

Genetics, I am blessed with a gene pool of old healthy relatives. I work out everyday and have constant aches and pains. But the aches and pains are worse if I do not work out? I guess it's Gravity!:confused: