Are you avoiding GM (Genetic Modified) foods?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by rocktot, Oct 21, 2010.

1. rocktot

rocktot New Member

When you buy corn, soy products, are you aware of what is genetically modified, and what is not? Is that an issue for you? Corn and soybeans are the main GM crops, as well as white sugar. Just wondering if you have other sources. Not a huge issue during a SHTF scenario, but Im mearly planning on a long depression type situation with the way things are, with lots of home invasions because of so much riff raff allowed to stay in this country.

2. mickbear

mickbear Active Member

we dont have to worry about riff raff allowed to stay in this country,our problem is the inner city savages that roam out to the country side.those are the ones that will be the biggest problem when TSHF.
    As far as the GM crops,we grow a large majority of our vegetables.we have chicken and honeybees . a couple of local folks we get fresh meat from raise their own cattle and hogs

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Don't know what you're talking about- all the "Riff-Raff" causing problems around here is strictly homegrown. Good looking smart white guy with good family life just got caught trying to burn down the 10th garage/house in our area.
    Three morons from a bigger city drove to our "big" city in the area and tried to rob the big jewelry store they were still in high school, born and raised here in MI.
    Another tourist town on the big lake has three to four "teens" attacking and robbing folks walking along the streets. From the descriptions of the attacker- once again younger men to teens.
    And when they catch the folks who are doing the home invasions in the area, I can almost guarantee that they are gonna be local homegrown morons.
    If it makes ya feel good to blame everything on :quote:"riff raff allowed to stay in this country.":quote: :rolleyes: Go for it, but don't forget to watch out for the local "riff-raff".

But on the question of GMO frankenfoods- I do try to avoid them- but "our" gooberment has decided that "we" don't need to know what is in our foods.
    At least here in MI the sugar from sugar beets next year will not be GMO as the GMO beets have been banned!
    As for sugar from sugar cane -
    :quote: Sugar cane - Made resistant to certain pesticides. A large percentage of sweeteners used in processed food actually comes from corn, not sugar cane or beets. Genetically modified sugar cane is regarded so badly by consumers at the present time that it could not be marketed successfully. :quote:
    If you want to read more on the subject of GMO.
    I try at the moment to only buy sugar made with sugar cane and I even spend some extra and buy sugar called "Sugar in the Raw" as it is from Hawaii.
    But GMO is a nightmare as you can not tell if the farmer who is raising your chicken, beef, pork, etc.. is using GMO or non-GMO it is becoming so deeply hidden in our foods that I am afraid to even eat anything that is not raised by me or grown by me.

4. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I agree, Emerald, we try to eat what we raise or hunt, I'm sure somethings slip through as we can't raise everything. We are a farming community and have a lot of "imported" people who work the crops. Most of the problems are caused by local born riff raff, who would not have time to get into trouble if they would go to school or work.

5. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I try not to but as others have said its hard to know what is or is not frankenfoods. I don't eat corn very much, but the meat I buy might contain said corn.

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I order organic corn in 50-lb bags from the local health food store. Cross-contamination with Monsanto mega-fields could occur, but I hope not. Our growing season it too short to grow corn without serious work keeping it covered, etc., so we rely mainly on wheat, oats, barley, and rye, which does grow well here.

We haven't been able to grow enough to keep us and our chickens fed throughout the year. I cringe to think what might be in the grains we buy for our hens for the part of the year we need to. I suspect animal feed has lower standards than people feed, even though we are consuming those animals in the form of meat, eggs, or dairy products.

At least raising the animals at home, even if on store-bought feed, you know how they've been treated, and they've probably not been subjected to drugs (antibiotics, growth hormones) or flea dip/insecticide.

By the way, soybeans are easy to grow just about anywhere. Those of you who use them might want to consider doing that. Start with a bag of organic soybeans from the health food store. I started with a 1-lb bag and saved part of the crop each year to increase my plot size.

7. Emerald

Bwaahahaha! I grew organic soybeans(edemame) and grew them organically and even tho there are miles and miles of soybeans planted near us, the deer decided that organic is better :2thumb: and ate mine to the ground, in one night!:eek: naughty buggers! In fact just noticed that my new grape transplants have no leaves-- well I thought, they were yellow maybe they fell off in the storm and high wind last night,, go to look and sure nuff- deer tracks and a few light pruning so I just got my deer netting on them too and the deer netting over the blueberries was dragged off a bit but the plants are ok... I want to hunt in my own back yard! at least I know what they have been eating!;):D

8. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yep, you'll have some nice fat deer to hunt!

We have a 7' fence around our entire garden and orchard. Otherwise the deer, moose, and bears eat everything and trample the plants. The fence also has two electric wires running around it.

The first year I planted soybeans I put them in our old corral. Half of the corral planted in wheat, the rest in soybeans and field peas. I thought the 5' high horse fencing would keep the deer out. NOT! They got in one night and ate ALL the soybeans and peas!

So now I only grow grains in the corral and moved the soybeans and field peas to the garden area.

9. Emerald

So tell me is it illegal to dress like a bush and beat your deer with a baseball bat? Cuz that is what I truly feel like doing some days!:D

10. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Now, that's a mental picture I'll smile over the rest of the day!

My 8-year old grandson wants to dig a "tiger pit" by their garden to catch the deer that keep defeating their fence!

11. rocktot

rocktot New Member

Ok, thanks. Yea, in my area, we don't gots lots of "local" 'riff-raff', it be all foreign. But I gets your drift. I also get the light brown sugar, I like it raw like that. I think I need to look into storing it by the lb.

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I use "Organic Cane Sugar" for cooking and Stevia for my coffee. Sometimes local-grown honey.
    Corn, I just began buying locally from the feed store.
    I eat Whole Wheat or Potato Bread.
    I avoid anything with Canola Oil and MSG where possible.

If Bambi and his buddies co-operate this winter, I won't be buying beef for awhile..... :rolleyes:

13. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

Imagine what the frankenfish is going to do to the market.

Same age...different engineers.

[​IMG]

God designed the smaller one. Some dude Genetically Modified the other.

14. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

mmmmmmmmm... the a-y-c-e buffet is OPEN! :lolsmash:

15. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

If they can get me steelhead at $2.49 a pound, I'm game. Right now I'm cooking a fillet that ran $8.99 a pound...with zuc and sweet onions as a side.

16. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

well that IS the general idea... of course, the LAWYERS are trying their best to ruin it