Are you a member of a survivalist group?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by keepitlow, Jan 22, 2010.

1. keepitlow

keepitlow Well-Known Member

If so, how did you find your group?

How has it worked out for you? What sort of problems or benefits have come about from your group membership?

Thanks

2. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Group

No, not a member of a formal group. Not a very trusting person, but I do have a close network of a few friends and some family. We've each had personal :shtf: moments, and been able to support each other through the various scenarios - flood, tornado, job loss, family sickness, building houses and shelters, etc. I don't go to meet & greets either, but I'm kinda curious what I might learn there... but not enough to make an appearance at one... yet. :cool:

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I am not a member of a survivalist group other than this forum. I have never really considdered it, I have my own definate thoughts and ideas as to what I want to do and prep for what I feel might happen in my life. I am a solo prepper and would like to get my family on board first.

4. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I am not, largely because I doubt there are any local groups in this Democrat-stronghold part of Maryland. I wouldn't mind finding a local group of folks to share ideas with, network with, maybe develop a large-scale plan to help each other out. Would also be nice to know that there are folks in your area that you could trust when TSHTF.

5. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I am not part of any official group, but, I am part of a couple of clubs that are backcountry orientated and we spend lots of time practicing BugOut scenarios, hunting, fishing, etc together.

Each of us has also prepared individually for all kinds of problems and we know that we can rely on each other to a certain extent.

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Nope. Me neither. I don't know of any in the area, but I might consider it if the chance arose.

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

No organized group here either but we do have 2 other families we trade with for certain things. I believe that in the event of a calamity we could work together for everyone's benefit.

8. keepitlow

...would like to get my family on board first.

Yes, I know the feeling. My wife is getting more open to it as life around us decays.

9. keepitlow

That sound like a good informal group. Maybe best of both worlds - those prepared to help, while not being stifled under the thumb of some hierarchy of leaders. Now, I'm not against leaders, but once people come to power over others, history shows that power may corrupt them.

In the end, I guess it just all depends on 'how good a group' one gets into - if groups are your inclination And how bad things will get?

My own MO is to go solo. I've never been much of a group person. but I always like to hear both sides of the story

Here is one of the views about survival groups from the Christian survival forum where my thread idea came from. Although their topic was leadership within a survival group.

"Try this experiment as an individual survivalist- maintain a 24/7 guard duty for a weekend, do at least one patrol around your area, cook and use storage food, pull water from the nearest creek or lake and purify it, wash clothes without power and work in the garden for at least 2-3 hours. That ought to answer your question."

No, I don't do creek water and 24 hour guards but I do all this and much more now solo.

My opinion is groups do offer benefits with security. Although sometimes groups can work the other way when it comes to security depending on the members.

Even if you hand pick your commune, people change, people die, people go wacky...in short people can be a pain in the *** to deal with.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. Oroborus

Oroborus Member

This is very true and you really don't know how others will deal with a situation when it falls upon them. They might have the BBB(beans,bullets,bandaids) thing down but it doesn't mean a thing about their psyche in a stressful situation.

I myself am solo with just a couple friends that I know that I can trust more than most. If we go in survival mode, it will take months if not years to really weed out those that you can rebuild with. Survivalist groups will be found after the fact and you can be a better judge when you see who the stronger ones are that still have their marbles.

I also don't want anyone to know exactly the preps that I have, survivalism is not a tea party and being in a physical group of people sharing my preps in a sewing circle could be inviting a bigger problem. Nothing wrong talking in cyberspace about these things though.

11. keepitlow

survivalism is not a tea party

Speaking of Tea Party...

I joined a Tea party online forum in Ohio Valley. After 3 or 4 posts they banned me. Was run by a power hungry lady it seems. She only liked to hear herself talk. Said I was a 'trouble maker' for having an opinion.

Had to laugh...didn't the tea parties back in the day cause trouble? Lets hope this lady never makes it into politics...and am happy to not be in any survival group she would run!

Use my experience as reminder to have backups whether they be online support groups or whatever you need for survival. Have many escape routes, many energy options, many self defense options, many solar chargers, multi generators, many and diverse food sources etc.

Diversity and adaptability is the foundation of s survivalist mentality.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  12. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Keepitlow,.......ChristianSurvivalForum,.......How do I get in touch, Which one, I,m interested. Sail

13. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso Member

You can try survivalblog.com in the area of "finding others"....and Good luck ... and be carefull.
    Dr. Prepper

14. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Not a member of any group. I know there are a couple in my area but they are practicing OPSEC and keeping quiet. So I haven't had any luck finding them. However if given the chance and it was the right "kind" of group I would consider offering my "expertise"

15. Todays Survival Show

Todays Survival Show Survival and Handgun Podcaster

Your last sentence is a good one, I like to use the quote from Teddy Roosevelt, in my signature line. Same type of thing.

16. Todays Survival Show

Todays Survival Show Survival and Handgun Podcaster

I'm a member of the common sense, individual responsibility, thrifty, debt free, moderate stockpiling, freedom loving, self defense believing, food storing and government get the heck out of my way...group!

And by the way, oldsoldier rocks!

17. Seneschal

Seneschal Crazy snake chick

I never even knew that there were such a thing! Lol, I don't know that I want to join one, though. I mean, I like the forums, and I like groups for other things, but...

ehh. Loose lips sink ships.

I think I'd feel better about non-disclosure about this sort of thing, unless I intend to have enough supplies to either support or defend against those I tell. That doesn't include a whole club...

18. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

I don't do well with authority. I also have a low thresh hold for people in general. They always wind trying to make me conform to some idea they have that I need to be a certain way and do things a certain way. eh, get lost!I won't be "used" because I have certain knowledge or a certain skill, and every place I have ever read, thats all that they are looking for. Not someone who is a good moral person, who would be a good friend and have your back, no matter what. No, they want people to use so THEY can survive more comfortably. Makes me sick. I don't think that way, so that tells ME alot about those kind of people.Seems to me, with that attitude, they'll wind having to defend themselves against the very people they take in, because they'll over step the line somewhere and have to pay the price of being a User.
    I'm all for helping the community in my area should something happen, but I won't be used.And, to me, thats all I see groups as. People using others to help themselves along.

19. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Genevieve - that is why the groups that I am part of are not official prepper or survival groups. The activities that I enjoy the groups also enjoy and we all "prep" to a certain extent. The friendships that we have gained because of the groups are perfect for someone like me .. we do stuff together but not for each other. If I need someone from one of the groups to help me fix a vehicle, I pay them in cash or trade for my time.

We don't "use" each other - we work with each other or pay them straight-up.

20. greaseman

greaseman Well-Known Member

survivalist groups

if you take this entire discussion group as a whole, there are probably not too many that are active in an organized survival group. I imagine that if things get really bad, most people will probably get with some of their neighbors that they may know well, and decide what they can do to pool their resources, and protect each other.

My neighbor is a prepper, and I found this out by accident. I think we are on the same page. My other neighbors and me have known each orther for 30 plus years. I know they would have my back. I would gladly help them out, as I feel this would be to my benefit, and theirs. Some groups will organize as a natural progression of trouble. I think there are many who have no choice but to stay where they are. In most urban neighborhoods as there are around here, I could easily see local neighbors getting together to block streets off, and only let people who had business in the hood, to come through. This armed "guard" would probably come about after a few neighbors had been terrorized by gangs. After that, even people who didn't like guns would be begging someone for help. The local law would probably be useless. They will have bigger fish to fry. Seems that much depends on how bad things get.

I will probably have my grown children to feed, as they think I'm crazy. I can promise you one thing, if things get as bad as i thionk they might, I will make them listen to my lecture, and "rub it in" so to speak. Many people will put the wagons in a circle, and do the best they can. It's just going to be hard times for all. Don't depend on those idiots running the government. You'lll be on your on. good luck.