Are We All Mentally Ill?

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by UncleJoe, Sep 18, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Are Independent Thinkers Mentally Ill?

Mark Nestmann (September 16, 2010)

Do you question authority? Fail to accept conventional wisdom? Lose your temper when you hear a politician make a promise that you know he or she can’t keep?

If so, you may be mentally ill, according to the most recent revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). In this revision, psychiatrists hope to add dozens of new mental disorders. Unfortunately, many of these so-called illnesses target people who merely think or behave differently from the majority population.

A case in point is “oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).” DSM defines ODD as “an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior toward authority figures.” Symptoms include losing one’s temper, annoying people and being “touchy.” Other “disorders” include antisocial behavior, arrogance, cynicism and narcissism. Sounds like many of my readers!

While diagnosis of ODD “victims” focuses on children, there’s no reason why ODD can’t exist in adults. Indeed, ODD can evolve into “conduct disorder” (CD), which DSM defines as “wherein the rights of others or social norms are violated.”

Uh-oh. So violating “social norms” is now a mental illness as well.

Read the rest here

2. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

UncleJoe, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that as a group, shrinks have the poorest grasp on reality of any group I can think of. I wonder if it occurs to them that based on their definition of ODD, every single one of our Founding Fathers were nuts.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

exactly WHEN did it become SO bad to just have a $h!tty day?

ODD? sign me UP! :wave:

4. UncleJoe

It's a disease. They'll have a name for it soon. Just hold out a little longer. :rolleyes:

5. Kathryn

Kathryn Active Member

<--- Well this is one shrink that wishes there were more ODD adults.

6. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

HI Kathryn!!!
    I've been to Show Low !!!!!!!!!!!! as a young Marine heading back to Calif after Christmas leave I fell asleep and rolled my car!!! next day went with the Sheriff to look at the scene and found that had the right side door not come open and jammed me to a stop one more roll would have dropped me over what looked like a mile deep ( fear ya know!! lol) canyon!!...SO I've never known anybody who even knew where Show Low is much less ever been there!!

Welcome !!

7. bstickler92

bstickler92 Well-Known Member

if the way i think is mental illness, then...*mental cough*
    well i guess that settles it.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The gobberment can't stand it when we all don't follow the flock like all the other sheep.

And I'm not mental ... I drawn the line at 'just plum crazy' .:D

9. Kathryn

Kathryn Active Member

Yea, some of those drop offs can be pretty scary. I am deathly afraid of heights, so they really scare the crap out of me, but the view is spectacular. I'm glad that you didn't go over the side. We have been looking at property in a number of areas in Arizona, and Show Low was a top runner until I spotted some even better property today in the Williams area. As long as everything turns out good with this property, :crossfinger: we will be purchasing it in the next week or two, then comes the work of making it our off-the-grid homestead.

10. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Our fingers are crossed for you too, Kathryn. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

11. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

My co workers wife is a family counseler and they about as screwed up a family as I have ever seen.

Hi Kathryn
    I went to Show Low High in about 1980. I am a little older,

12. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I attended a large shoot in Williams several years ago...wayyy to many touristas for me!... but it is pretty country.. there is an old train that makes runs to the Grand Hole in the Ground but it has the old style seats in it and it damn nears kills ya to ride it...

My plan before I was hijacked in East Texas was to settle in the area of Lake Powell , thinking of all those lost canyons now flooded and how they could be used as a BOL ..in fact I'm about to start a new story dealing with just that story line...

Hope yawl find what your looking for and get settled in for the long haul... stack it high and stack it wide!...prepping is more fun then most anything!!!

13. Kathryn

Kathryn Active Member

The best of luck with the new story. As for Williams, after spending a little time up there, we, also, decided it was too full of tourists. We are actually buying land just north of St. Johns, AZ in an area full of Juniper pines, lots of game, beautiful fishing lakes, rolling hills, and moderate four seasons. As for Lake Powell, it still gets way too hot, and way too cold there for me, and full of tourists, but it is a beautiful area.

14. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

I submit for approval-

Riverdale Syndrome

:D

15. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

My ex is a 'counciler'. My daughter (now almost 18) has been on scripts for ADD/ADHD for nearly 15 years :roll:

Like the Michael Stanley Band sang-

"Better Living Through Chemistry"

:roll:

16. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

The old question: Would a sane person in an insane world be considered insane?

17. UncleJoe

Well, now that we have a name for it, I guess it's time to come up with a pill to cure it. :rolleyes:

18. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

What am i posting about O that thar mad world thang, new's flash the whole d** world is bat shat mad as h***. It's a fact i reckon. The human race is headed toward total destruction we want it, well those idiots that feel so well endowed with special wisdom think, I reckon we all need a leader cause we is so stewPid. :scratch The real shat house crazy ones are those idiot's in DC. It's a fact!

19. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

A pill? :scratch Gee, I thought the cure would come in a bottle... :dunno: :ignore:

20. Wiswash

Wiswash Active Member

PSYCHOLOGY IS THE DISEASE. FRAUDULENCE IS THE SYMPTOM. or is it Greed and fraudulence is the disease and psychology is its weapon? Hmm?

Hasnt anyone noticed that the more shrinks and counselors we have, the crazier people get. OK. Really, weve always had craziness among us but, on the whole, all these so called "professionals" and scientists havent helped.