Are Sports the Opiate of the Masses?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sailaway, May 1, 2009.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I have come to believe that sports are the opiate of the masses. Every thing centers around the big game, and I know more young adults in college studying sports management or a similar major. Our local high schools seem to place more emphasis on Friday night football or basketball than they do studies. When a school system needs money they always threaten to cut the sports program. You hear stories of parents on the news who beat up a coach or child on an opposing team who did something they didn't like. People seem to care less about our economy or loosing their personal freedoms as long as they can have their sports. (silly sheeple) I also know parents who know more about their favorite players statistics than they know about how their child is doing in school. I used to enjoy going to pro base ball games, but haven't been to one since the players strike in 86. I would rather spend my leasure and recreation vote $s on other activities. What do you think?:confused:

2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I was short on time the other day so I went into a local bar to get some take out wings. I'm at the counter ordering and suddenly everyone starts shouting. I look around and they're all looking at the TV waving their arms and stuff. I look at the screen. It's a soccer game.

I've never been into watching sports. Playing sports is a lot more fun. I never liked the high school sports thing either. The full contact sports and showering with other men thing seemed really gay to me so I always skipped gym class. I have nothing against gay people. I just don't want them wresting me or showering with me.

They were all watching the game like their life depended on it. I might be that interested if I had money on the game. It wasn't even a team that was remotely related to North America. I knew guys in high school who were failing math but could calculate a spread in a millisecond.

I'm guilty of having my own useless distractions. I'm sure we all do. The sports thing is funny because it's very popular and very passive. All you have to do is sit there and yell at the screen.

3. Albertan

Albertan Member

It's definitely one of the opiates of the masses. Hollywood/TV/music/celebrity culture is another big one. Why are some people so obsessed with who's dating who, who's adopting babies from which third world nation, who's left on which "reality" show, who's gaining or losing weight, who's wearing what, etc.? What a waste.

4. sailaway

Reality Shows

I don't watch them, but haven't heard of my reality on tv yet. Maybe that's a good thing?

5. Canadian

They hide the secret cameras in the corners of the room.

6. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

To some it is definitely an opiate. I love sports but not so much that I go into withdrawls if I cannot go to an event or watch it on TV. I prefer to participate in the sport.....I play lacrosse for a team called the Washed Up Meat Heads and compete in triathlons and adventure races.

7. Canadian

If you ever visit Quebec don't tell them you play Lacrosse. In Quebec that's the french slang term for gay sex. They were going to sell a car in Canada called the Buick Lacrosse but they had to change the name for just that reason. We wouldn't want the quebeqois to take you the wrong way.

8. Expeditioner

:eek::eek:........Good to Know..............LOL..............so what do they call the sport??????

9. Canadian

They call it "crosse" in Quebec. That's the french way of saying it.

10. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

You are right on on this, I have come to hate sports because it is an extreme distraction. If I do anything that could be called sports it's for a purpose such as health and strength or for putting food in the freezer. Hiking, fishing or hunting are sports to me. It's a long read but the book "The Raise and Fall of the Roman Empire" is a mirror image of what's going on in todays society and if we continue on the path we are following we will end up just like Rome.

11. sailaway

You are 100% correct, Rome built their empire with their military. When they began to use other people to fight their battles they declined and died. We became an industrial super power with our manufacturing base, this built our nation. Now we purchase everything from over seas. I was in U.S. Cavalry last month and noticed our troops military boots were from China.

12. Expeditioner

Ahhh makes sense....just drop the la........A North American Sport with a French Name..........

Sports are not the end all be all but do teach valuable life lessons. It is all a matter of perspective and how you prioritize it.

13. Canadian

I'll go if there are cheerleaders. In fact I'd love to go to one of those events where it's nothing but cheerleaders. I'd have to call my lawyer and have bail money set aside ahead of time.

14. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

Well now there you go, that is sports, isn't it?

15. Canadian

Finally a full contact sport I'd love. Plus the showering together afterwards. Totally cool with that.

16. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Sports and ORGANIZED religion are the heroin of the mind.

Blow up your T.V and read your bible for yourself.

17. Battly

Battly Guest

The high school I attended was a 5A school with football being our strength. There was a huge controversy years ago when they decided to spend a million dollars on an AstroTurf football field. I as well find it ridiculous. These are EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES!

18. Canadian

A million on fake grass. Do they know the real stuff grows out of the ground for free?

19. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

and is so much more tasty! :D ;)

20. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

A month or two ago people were a lot more concerned about a work stoppage in the NFL than they were the debt deal in Congress.