Are carp good eating fish?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by GatorDude, Aug 22, 2009.

1. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Do people eat carp? I see some huge ones in some golf course ponds.

2. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

Carp was a staple for our family when I was young and we lived on the river. It is very good eating. It does taste like fish, unlike some more bland types of fish. Also cans up well for storage. Can use just like salmon.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

surprisingly, yes, they are pretty darn tasty if prepared correctly

there are quite a few Korean-style carp dishes

4. doc66

doc66 Well-Known Member

I've never eaten carp that I know of, but my understanding is that you should keep them live in fresh water for a while before eating, apparently some people think that they can taste like the muddy water they've been living in. Like mussels, it helps to clean out the system and adds to flavor.

Rumor, I know, but that's what I've heard.

5. GatorDude

GatorDude Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! We've been staying in a nice community with a golf course and I've been amazed to see absolutely huge carp in the ponds. I'd estimate that some of the fish are 30 to 60 pounds and seem nearly as large as a man's leg. In case of an emergency, I'd consider eating some of these fish. My major concern would be that they'd have absorbed the lawn chemicals used for golf course and lawn maintenance.

6. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Ah Sewer Bass, a true delicacy if prepared correctly. My cousins great uncle was a real farmer and out doors man. He used to catch and smoke carp. I remember they tasted real good as a child. We looked forward to Uncle Louie bringing them over at Christmas. I believe that they do taste better than the negitive publicity they have been given:congrat:

7. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Not my fish of choice but if I need a food source, I wouldn't hesitate to eat it. Same for croaker and mullet if I was living in a coastal region.

8. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Sonny Jim couldn't make your link work.

10. jawtrey

jawtrey New Member

My cousin and I used to go fishing pretty much every day. It never failed that this guy would show up everyday carp fishing. While we were getting catfish and bluegill, all he wanted was carp. We would catch 100 bluegill sometimes, and the guy would get 1 good sized carp and go home. He never fished for anything else, we asked him why one day, expecting some type of "its big, and will feed my family for the night" answer....the answer we got was "because it's good".

11. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Yeah I guess they pulled the story on me there. It was about how the asian carp are heading up the rivers to the great lakes and how they will eventually take over. They have been poisoning the rivers with their migration to kill them before they hit the lakes.

12. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

The national news this morning did a short on it, they poisoned the river and killed everything 'but' the asian carp:mad::cry::nuts:

13. marlas1too

marlas1too Well-Known Member

here in wv most people hate the carp but i like them and some of them get over 4 feet long and a friend of mine take them and makes fish jerky out of them --their very tasty

14. TomChemEngineer

TomChemEngineer Member

OK, anybody got a good way to fix them? With catfish, I let the fillets sit in milk for an hour or so before broiling or frying or whatever. It seems to take the musty taste out of the catfish. I figure it would do the same for carp. Anyone know firsthand?

15. JCfans

JCfans Member

When you fry the fillets you want to score the fillets so the oil can get in an melt the tiny bones in there. I read an article on canning carp last fall and am going to try that this year. They did a blind taste testing comparing it to canned tuna and most people chose the carp over tuna. You also want to cut that dark meat out of the fillet and that will take any muddy taste out.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  16. bunkerbob

Met a fella once that lived on a lake I worked at. My buddies and I would catch carp and then just cut them up for bait, and throw the rest away. He, this fella watched us for a while and yelled, "why don't you let me have some of those, I eat them" what the...? yuk!. So he told us that he would clean them, cut off the head and put it in a pressure cooker until all was soft including the bones. Remove the 'meat', strain out the liquid, grind it up bones and all, then mix the 'meat' with bread crumbs and spices, lots of spices, then make into patties and fry them up. He also ate mud hens, double yuk!!.:nuts:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  17. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

18. robert

robert Member

Carp tastes like chicken, or is it rattle snake ?

19. bunkerbob

20. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Sounds like last resort eating to me!!!!