April - fruit and veggie general chat

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by *Andi, Apr 1, 2011.

1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Let's try this one more time ... :D I think we have more than a few folks on the forum that garden. Now, while I would not post a thread that I weeded the strawberry patch today... I might in fruit and veggie general chat. ;)

This would be for every day chores in the garden or orchard (large or small), that you would like to add... let it be, watching the snow melt in my garden or you weeded the strawberry patch today.

So today I looked at the garden and almost sunk up in the mud :ignore: ... I need more than a few 'dry days' before I can get in it.

How is your garden looking? ;)

2. Daegnus

Daegnus Active Member

Currently renting, so my garden space is very limited (even though I have a large backyard, I can't go digging up the lawn :scratch). Planted up an Earthbox with some cold hardy greens, got my potatoes going in some potato tubs, and started going through my seeds. I'll be putting in a few temporary raised beds in the near future. Going to be hanging my tomatoes and strawberries in Topsy Turveys (not my favorite method, but hey, space is limited, gotta grow wherever I can).

Felt good to get a few things going in pots, but mostly I'm waiting for the last of the snows and light frosts to come and spending my days planning.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Daegnus, Talk to your landlord. Since I moved from my parents place I've lived in 6 rentals till I planted myself here. I've had a garden in all but 1 which was an apt. complex. Not one landlord had a problem with me digging up the backyard for a garden. I did have one ask me to reseed with grass when I moved.
    If you're planning on being there for a couple years or more, ask him. Maybe even mention replanting grass when you move. Hey, can't hurt to ask and the experience you'll gain will be priceless.

4. Reblazed

Reblazed Member

I agree with UJ ... I have own a duplex, live in one side and rent out the other. If my renter wanted to put in a garden and work it (I'm not as agile as I used to be) I'd be so thrilled I'd do all the canning and dehydrating for a share of it.

Never hurts to ask.

5. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

I hope to get taters in this weekend. Also the spring salad.

Does anyone have any experience with bush cherries? I put in some Nankings and am curious what kind of luck others have had with them.

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I did try them a few times ... but I never had much luck with them, :dunno: same with my gooseberries. They would bloom but never would get more than a few cherries or berries ...

7. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I planted a 4'X5' patch of 20 asparagus today- 2 different kinds. Jersey Giants and Mary Washington (for seeds to enlarge the garden as well as vege spears). I'm gonna use (think it was) Emeralds isea and put chording across the top of the garden for the birds to sit on and dispell the already scarified mary washington seeds. I thought that was just so brilliant!

8. chancemft

chancemft Member

here at my dads in Ok, I already have most of my garden in down in Tucson, so I thought I'd come up and help him put his in. I think besides the normal cool,waemish stuff, we are fixing to plant fruit trees, brambles and grapes. The trees are apples, pears' cherries, apricotesand peach's. Lots of holes, but I think we are gonna cheat and use the auger on the tracter to start them.

9. backlash

backlash Well-Known Member

I put in my second planting of peas.
    Have onion sets in.
    If the wind will slow down I want to get my potatoes in tomorrow.
    Maybe strawberries also.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I put in 25 potato starts today. The ground is a little wet still but I think they'll be OK. I may throw some beets in tomorrow.

11. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Put carrots and spinach in day before yesterday. Im going to put in beets tomorrow. Trying to get it tilled the rest of the way. Starting a little late this year. I hurt my arm and I cant do the tilling. GRR makes me mad.

12. Jaspar

Jaspar Well-Known Member

two rows of beets, 1 row of radish, one row of carrots, two rows of onions, and two rows of peas (using old tomato cages for the peas). Raspberries are pruned and strung up. rows are 20 ft each. Growing tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in the basement for now. All heirloom varieties. Ten hills of Gold potatoes put in today.

Going to try the florida weave method with the tomatoes. Tired of cages.

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

florida weave method - Never heard of it ...

Would you mind to explain ...

Thanks

14. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

Over the last couple days I potted up tomatoes into large drink cups from the starter pots - I have about 100 plants, nearly 50 varieties growing. Way more than I really need, but I'm out of home canned tomato products and there are just so many interestingly named heirloom varieties to try!

Also got outside (finally caught a break in the infernal, eternal rain) and mulched most of the rest of the raised beds, including the 2 newest ones I've put in so far this year. That brings me up to about 40 beds of various shapes and sizes. The garlic and Egyptian walking onions are up and growing, strawberries getting leaves, and so are the raspberries...I think it might really be Spring!:flower:

15. lilmissy0740

lilmissy0740 Well-Known Member

I have my peas and onion sets in. The weather just wont give me a break to get the beets and onions I grew from seed planted. I think I am going to try the Sq Foot Gardening method this year with my tomatoes. Built a standing frame and put heavy string wire or something so they grow up instead of cages. I too have had enough of cages. Been working in my strawberry bed for years now. Put straw in it for mulch about 3/4 yrs ago. It was full of seed and I have had an awful time getting it cleaned up and still isnt cleaned up.
    We are also putting up electric fence around the one garden to see if that keeps out critters.
    OK I am off to the Maple Festival for some fresh sausage, pancakes and fresh tapped maple syrup! yum

16. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

I have started three flats of veggies. a variety of heirlooms from tomatoes to onions etc.
    everything here is still really wet and soggy. suppose to get another round of rain tonight into tomorrow. sigh
    Oh! And not sure if it was on this board but I read about rooting tomatoe clippings. I had a tomatoe plant I kept all winter in the house and it was starting to die off so I took four clippings and stuck them in dirt and wouldn't you know it..i have four new plants! lol
    it definitely works!

17. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

18. CVORNurse

CVORNurse Well-Known Member

In the big garden, I have a double row of english peas just starting to run up the cattle panel we put up for them. Planted around 50 tomato plants last Saturday, but some didn't make it( think we had a light unrecorded frost).

In my own little garden that hubby laughs at, I added a new strawberry bed, with 30 Chandler plants. This is in addition to a bed planted last year with Cardinal and Ozark that is loaded with berries. Yesterday I planted 50 Jersey Giant asparagus crowns. I almost have eating size lettuce leafs and radishes, and my chard and carrots are coming up also. And I planted running beans, gourds, and cucumbers along the fence yesterday.

About my little garden: It is raised beds, one of cedar logs, one of landscape timbers, and 2 are concrete blocks. This year I have already added the landscape timber bed, and plan to add a few more concrete block beds. The asparagus is in the ground, but think I will edge around it with either timbers or blocks.

19. Immolatus

Immolatus Just getting started. Always.

I am new to gardening, and I am trying mostly herbs first, and tomatoes and a blueberry bush.
    My girl informs me that ("Youre an idiot!") I cannot plant anything for a few more weeks and the danger of frost has passed. I think it has.
    We are outside DC.
    Who is right?
    If VA and Baltimore are planting, cant I?

20. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member