Apple Pie Filling

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by UncleJoe, Oct 13, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

It's that time of year and once again I'm drowning in apples. I still have 3 gallons of applesauce left from last year but I'm doubling that to make sure I don't run out. I'm going to try apple butter again and I'll have the dehydrator running full time for the next few weeks.

I'm now thinking I'd like to try making and canning pie filling. I'm sure there are plenty of recipes out there on the net, but I would prefer something from some of the folks I know and trust. Would anyone like to help me out? :)

2. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I make the whole-pie ... and normally bake it and when I make lots of pie, I will freeze the "spares". I have heard that I could also make the pie, but, not bake it .. throw it in the freezer "raw" and when I want a fresh-pie in January, I can pull it out, thaw it, and then bake-like-normal for a great pie ...

Wildmist took a large bag of apples that my dad brought us and turned a good portion of it into apple-sauce and just did a normal canning-process on it ... and I made pies ... :flower:

Did you want my pie recipe?

Attached Files:

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

No, naekid...we want you to mail us the PIE!!! :)

It looks wonderful!

5. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

Page 17, Ball Blue Book

2 and1/2 to 3 pounds of apples per qt.

wash,core and peel apples, Apples may be cut into 1/4 inch slices,quartered,or halved.Treat to prevent darkening, Make a light or medium syrup, keep syrup hot,drain apples,gently boil apples in syrup 5 minutes,Pack hot apples into hot jars, , Ladle hot syrup over apples,leaving 1/2 inch head space, remove air bubbles, adjust the 2 piece lids, process pints and quarts 20 minutes in a boiling water canner.

apples for baking, follow receipt for canning apples, use extra light syrup or water.

6. UncleJoe

I can't believe I didn't think to look there first. :eek:

Right now I'm making apple butter and apple cider. I may try jelly too.

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

That is the recipe I use also.:D

8. UncleJoe

Sorry Vance. Didn't mean to ignore you.

I'll get back to you on the pie. After I get 5 bushel of apples processed. :help: