Apocalypse PA

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by mdprepper, Nov 16, 2010.

1. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

New show on the history channel. Interesting so far.

History Channel profiles Nazareth man's self-sufficient life in 'Apocalypse PA' - Morning Call

"Our country was based on independence, not dependence. We're too dependent on the infrastructure around us. I'm not suggesting in any shape of form not to have them, but it was only one or two generations before us that, hell, they didn't even have power. My whole point is, let's back up a minute, let's prosper from the infrastructure but not rely on it."

Belcastro says it makes sense to become totally self sufficient, so that if there were an economic collapse, power outage, pandemic, environmental epidemic, "or some other serious calamity, you will be able to survive and thrive."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Quirky but entertaining, they focus on the if it,s all gone stuff. Might learn something new. Very surprised to see a firearm even if its a black powder. Why get a handgun only what about a rifle. Hunting would be a must. Why can't they show someone who is let's say not, at least look's crazy that's into prepping. They do make us through him seem like a bunch of nuts. I,ll watch it and see what comes of it. What it does show is that those of us who are tinker's will get by. Building a wood gas is something that could come in handy, i see it now a lot full of burners, oak special, horse turd fryer today only. Rebirth of the used car dealer. Knowing how to build one will be worth much more than having just one. :D I,am waiting to see what they say about long term food storage. Just a show that might help someone somewhere. :scratch

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

wish I would've seen this earlier, of course by the time it was posted the show was almost over :(

4. mdprepper

Sorry about that! I did not even know about the show until I turned on the TV. I thought it was really unusual that I never saw any ads for the show. I tend to watch history channel a lot, and would have posted about it if I had seen a commercial for it. If you go to the history channel website, they say very little about the show, and last night they did not even have a link for it (which is why I used the above link instead of theirs).

It is supposed to re-air during the week. In my area it is showing Saturday 1pm and Monday 7pm.

5. The_Blob

THANX :beercheer:

all is forgiven :kiss:

:lolsmash:

6. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I just checked. It's on tonight (Thursday) at 11:00PM, 11:30PM, 3:00 and 3:30AM. I set the DVR to record all new episodes.

7. Jason

Ok, I watched 2 episodes. Entertaining, possibly a little staged. I wish I could find a truck like that old GMC sitting in a junkyard somewhere! I did like the wood gassifier blowtorch.

8. The_Blob

I was going to set my DVR, but to me it's just not worth it. I watched both pilot eps (no more scheduled until after Thanksgiving, I guess :dunno: ) & it just smacks The Colony and other quasi-real 'reality' programming. The main 'characters' are caricatures of real people, with enough phony 'prepper experiments', faux 'drama', and faked passive/aggressive antagonism between family members to certainly convince the target audience 'sheeple' consumers that "preppers be ka-razee"... :gaah:

9. Jason

Blob, weren't you paying attention? The very first lines uttered in both episodes were "My name's Frank, and I'm not crazy!!" So the sheeple will know that he's normal.

I'm not real sure about the preaching the prepper stuff to the family in their basement is very realistic. A lot of the conversations seem staged for the benefit of the audience.

10. mdprepper

I finally got a chance to watch both episodes. Lots of "over acting", I could do without the wife and daughter rolling their eyes at everything he does.:rolleyes:

I do like the fact that maybe, just maybe, the corniness of the show will draw people in and make them start thinking and prepping.:D

I think The Colony was a good idea in theory, but how many of us would have been lucky enough to be survivors along with all of those professionals (first season-I could not stomach watching season 2). This show is more about being able to do it yourself.:)

Oh well, I'll give it another shot when the show starts up again. If nothing else, at least my Husband watched it and it opened up more of a dialogue between us. My Husband "waffles" when it comes to prepping. He doesn't quite get it unless something "big" is going on in the news that day:gaah:, but he does humor me and allows me to have free rein on the food preps.:2thumb: