Anyone read Long-Term Survival in the Coming Dark Age?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Lake Windsong, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Has anyone read the book Long-Term Survival in the Coming Dark Age? Or Makeshift Workshop Skills for Survival and Self-Reliance? Both are written by James Ballou. They look interesting online, but I haven't seen either to actually look at the information presented in them.

I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me more about either one of them, whether they are a rehash of basic information or if they would be worth buying.

2. cowpuncher

cowpuncher Active Member

I've got the first one. It's not bad. For someone who buys all the latest tools and toys but doesn't have any experience in real rural living/subsistence living, it's a good read.

The author, James Ballou writes regularly for "Backwoodsman Magazine." If you haven't read the magazine, check it out at Borders or Barnes and Noble. It will give you an idea of the flavor of the books. There is a lot of improvisation and scrounging type information.

I didn't learn anything new from it, but I don't regret buying it either.

3. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Haven't read it yet, but based solely upon the title, I looked it up on BN.com and it looks decent. Going to see if my local store can order it for me, and when I get it, i will let you know how it is.

4. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, cowpuncher. I've looked at their website. I think I'll buy the set, I'm interested in the Makeshift Workshop Skills book especially. Here, we make do with what we have or do without. :) So that sounds right up my alley.