Anyone here make syrup?

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by rwc1969, Mar 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rwc1969

rwc1969 Well-Known Member

I gathered my first sap of the season today.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr8Uo8L4w_4]YouTube - Maple Syrup Gathering Sap[/ame]

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Not in this neck of the woods. As far as I know, I cannot tap trees for sap and get anything like those out on the eastern side of Canada can ..

3. dustyz

dustyz New Member

Yeah, I've been doing it for the past 3 years here in Kentucky. Our season is over now...

My bucket setup is almost identical to yours. I also use a 10 gallon cooler for storage. Here are a few pics from my homegrown setup.... showing the modified Franklin stovetop, and the results from a few small batches this season. I have fewer than 10 taps total...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  4. rwc1969

Nice Dusty, but when I clicked on the pic of the stove I got a nasty virus popup.

5. dustyz

dustyz New Member

Do you think imageshack got infected somehow?

My PC is clean. I doubt imageshack would allow virus uploads... lol. Thanks for the heads-up.

6. rwc1969

I don't know, but when I clicked on the link the typical "you have a virus, click here to disinfect" window popped up.

I've had it happen a few times with Image shack.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Never made it myself but I love homemade maple syrup, especially on nice fresh biscuits.

8. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

We don't do it yet, but we want to learn. I'm not sure we have enough sugar maples on our property (we want to get more, but it will take time for them to grow).

9. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I spent many springs gathering sap at my Uncles farm and helping boil down sap into syrup. THe running of the mice when the first fire gets lit.. The traditional pancake supper/lunch/breakfast with the first hot out of the evaporator syrup of the season. Having to have someone kill the spiders in the two seater cuz I wouldn't go in otherwise! Squishing thru the mud and drinking ice cold sap straight from the buckets. I sure miss it, but my Uncles brother still owns the property and makes syrup so we can still get it from the uncle.
    But if you decide to make syrup from your own sap, be aware that it takes about 44 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup-that is a lot of water that has to be boiled out and it will drown your home so try to get a turkey fryer set and do it all outside. Also skim all the foam that comes up and when you go to pour it out- run it thru some super clean nylons or very fine cheese cloth to get all the "sand" out of it before storing. The sand is just minerals and other detritus that is just part of making syrup.
    If your stored maple syrup gets "rock crystals" in it they are totally edible and very yummy. It doesn't happen too often.
    We used to take about two or so gallons every year and keep cooking it down till it crystallized and we would make all kinds of molded maple sugar candy and just plain maple sugar for for cooking and such later in the year.. Crystallized maple sugar lasts very long and is a big easier to store.

ETA:Oh and the best sap runs when it is warm(40s and 50's day and under 30s at night) during the day but cold at night...if the sap starts becoming cloudy it is too late and don't use it. Not as nice a syrup and not as much sugar in it.

10. elalr

elalr Member

we are tryin but not gettin a drop. this is our first attempt. we are in south mo. is it too late here? thanks for the thread! i was going to post this question today!

11. rwc1969

You can get between 1/3 and 1 quart of syrup from every tap. If the tree is 10" in diameter you can put one tap in, 18" 2 taps, 25" 3 taps. So, they add up quick. I have 30 taps between 15 trees.

I gathered 30 gallons of sap the other day and made a gallon of syrup from it yesterday, 8 pints. MMM, it's good too. :cool:

elalr, I'm not sure what it's like in MO, but they run best when temps go below freezing at night and get above freezing in the day. If you live in an area where there isn't a freeze thaw cycle I'm not sure how it works.

12. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Good to know - THANKS! :)
    That's do-able for us, as we don't need all that much. So now I'm motivated to learn more.

13. rwc1969

You're welcome! Here's a vid of the boil down and a pic of my first batch made on Saturday.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOazjcdXIw]YouTube - Maple Syrup First Boil Of The Season[/ame]

[​IMG]

14. lovetogrow

lovetogrow Member

I haven't made maple syrup for some time now, but when I did my kids loved making their toffees in the snow, and I would lightly boil down enough sap to store for canning my peaches in the fall. Man where they good!!

15. rwc1969

Mmm, maple canned peaches, that sounds good. I'd like to try the toffee in trhe snow, but am not 100% sure how to do it.

16. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

It won't start running here for another month and a half minimum, with as cold as this winter has been.

17. elalr

elalr Member

we got a little sap yesterday. about 2 cups. we tapped a few more trees to give it a shot. i cant wait to try it.

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Just so you know ... it is GREAT! :D

19. lovetogrow

lovetogrow Member

When your syrup is ready just take a small portion outside and pour it in a line in the snow. It will harden almost immediately and then you just lift it out and voila!!

Just be sure that you are using an area of 'clean' snow though!!

20. rwc1969

I'll have to give it a try this weekend, thanks. That is, if there's any snow left, it's all melting now.