Anyone have a Sawyer water purifier?

Discussion in 'Water Filtering & Storage' started by PS360, Aug 18, 2011.

1. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

Has anyone here used one of the sawyer water purifiers (0.02 micron)? www.sawyerproducts.com/viral.htm

I’m looking at getting a non chemical portable water purifier (some purifiers are just a filter that has some iodine or another chemical in it to kill viruses).

The only ones I know of are:

The sawyer
    First need (larger pore size than Sawyer)
    Lifesaver Bottle (smallest pore size, but cross contamination nightmare, short shelf life)
    Hydration Technology Innovations (slow production, requires syrup)

The sawyer is the most interesting to me, but I’ve heard reports of slow water production, and poor customer service, So I'm a bit leery about putting over $100 down for one.:confused:

2. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

3. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd trust a filter since it doesn't remove viruses.

I know they're not suposed to be prevelent in America but I realy don't want to get sick. lol

4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

I have an in-line 0.02 micron filter. But I added a prefilter silt filter and carbon post filter to take care of the weakness the Sawyer has in not really getting a few things out of the water, and no odors.

But only the Pocket Katadyn and some Sawyers go to 0.02 micron and get most of the viruses. I'll slowly be switching my various filters out to the Sawyer equivalent as I run out of replacements for my MSR and Katadyn filters.

As far as the 0.1 filters Sawyer makes, I don't see the point. You can get 0.1 filters with carbon and silver in them for about the same price. I want that 0.02 micron capability for future use. Not too concerned about it much right now, but better to get the purifiers now, while they are available and reasonably priced than wait and wind up not getting them when the time comes that they are needed.

I'll be getting the Sawyer 4-liter purifier kit next year, I'm hoping.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

5. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

That’s what I was planning on doing,
    I figured without a prefilter it’d clog up fast having such tiny holes,

And from what I’ve read you need activated charcoal to remove chemicals and bad taste (like from water with decomposing leaves in it).

How’s the flow rate on the 0.02 micron?

6. Jerry D Young

7. mikesolid

mikesolid Mobile Bug-Out-Bag-Man

i've only heard of sawyers bite extractor. i have a katadyn water bottle filter (cost about 50 bux i think) ive used it on backpacking trips and havent died or gotten sick (phew). but the way it works is you actually suck the water through the filter, so it takes a bit of sucking to get the water. but i'll take a few seconds of extra work over getting "The G-bug".

8. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling me what pre and post filters you used, Jerry D Young.

Would you say you could fill a 1 qt canteen in around 8 minutes with it?

9. Jerry D Young

I think so. Haven't tried it. A lot depends on how high the water source is above the canteen. The higher the source or lower the canteen the better. That's without a pump. I'm thinking of trying to get some type of small hand water pump to speed things up even more.

10. PS360

PS360 Well-Known Member

I was also thinking of that.
    The pump you’ll need is called a transfer pump.

I haven’t found anything very compact yet except for some aquarium pumps and I’m dubious of their ruggedness.

Also I was thinking about using one of these Chinese water purifiers as a pump, it’s quite compact.

Army PLA Soldier Military Camping Water Filter Purifier | eBay

11. Jerry D Young