Any Trappers Here?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by philjam, Feb 28, 2011.

1. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

Trappers are a dying breed. We have much to offer,

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Yep! Guilty as charged and proud of it.

3. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Feels good not to have to depend on a firearm, although never with out one. To get grub for the family. Started at 8 with two no. 1's and a grudge on all muskrats on earth lol. Today i will have to say the snare is our friend for sure.

4. azurevirus

azurevirus Member

While living in upstate NY..I worked with a younger fella that lived for trapping..he would set up traps miles from where he lived (my dads farm included)..he would bring in turtle soup and what not trying to get us guys to eat it..never did...but to someone with some property, I think even if ones not a trapper..it might pay to get some for the critters that you share your land with..and learn to trap...never can tell with the way this govt is doing us over

5. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

I have maybe 50 assorted traps left out of over 300, I bought a few back in the 50-60s but most were handed down from our grandfather. they passed a law here in 81 that everyone had to take a corse to get a trappers license so many people don't trap any more. they're nice to get a few cotton tails to eat now and then though.
    [​IMG]

6. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

We have set traps for the fox that were after our chickens, got three of them, the other two we shot on the run. Our county is paying for anyone who can trap beaver. We had a good response and the beaver population is a lot more manageable.

7. BlueShoe

BlueShoe ExCommunicated

I have an in-law that trapped for income in the 70s. He continues to do it with his grandson of 14 now. Everyday (almost) they go to the river to see what they snatched while they were gone.

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about trapping, it was popular with some teachers and fellow students when I was in highschool 35 years ago. When I think about it all of the local land that was trapped on is now strip plazas and subdivisions.

Somewhere I read it is a good idea to have 12 snares or traps for each person in your survival group.

9. philjam

Go with both. Even wooden mouse and rat traps will catch birds and small animals. Snares are only good for one use. The locks can be salvaged. I would go with a big spool of different stranded wire. Also needed to make snares are a good set of cable cutters, 6-32 steel nuts, and a hammer or vise to close the nuts on the snare.

10. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

in Louisianna it looks like you can make a pretty good penny trapping (or just killing) Nutria, since the practice died out (pelts went from $5 to $1) the vermin are out of control, so now there is a 20-year (supposed) fund that pays $4 bounty per Nutria tail, which means that you can still sell the pelt AND either eat the meat or sell it to a restaurant (idk the inspection &/or health code laws for that tho) many of the finest restaurants have nutria on the menu.

seems a hell of a lot safer/more reliable than gator hunting

11. philjam

In the SHTF, no more bounty. But just knowing how to trap, shoot, catch them is worth it. Nutria have a fair amount of good tasting meat if butchered the right way. Their hides and fur are a resource in a survival situation.