Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
I don't know how hand sewn clothing stays together. Anything that I have even hand repaired is so weak in comparison to stitching on a sewing machine.
The sewing machine is a relatively recent invention, and we have examples of clothing that dates to hundreds of years ago and older still in good shape. It depends on the stitches and techniques used.

Well, seeing as I'm seventeen years old and about 75 lbs with no curve to me at all, most clothes for my age group have to have a lot of reconstruction. I don't have a functioning sewing machine either. My tips to you are this: blue jean is like sewing stones together, don't be focused on what's "pretty" because sometimes it's near impossible to make an entire article without making some mistake, and get used to needle jabs. :D best of luck.

Every home should have a sewing kit just like we encourage a first aid kit. I have a wedding dress which dates from the 1800s entirely hand sewn. Hand sewing when properly done will last.

A good quality thread, various thimbles, several size scissors, needles of various sizes, pins and a small pincushion would be a good start. Start to collect buttons of various sizes from garage sales, flea markets or old clothes.

I would suggest a visit to your local quilt shop. They can show you how to tie a quilters knot and how to tie off. It's also a good place to pick up precut squares and get started on practicing hand sewing. I always have a hand sewing project going. It's a good use of time during down time and relaxing. It goes faster than you would think and I have several quilts done in this manner.

Being able to mend a sleeping bag or favorite shirt is a valuable skill and could make you more comfortable when you need it most.

The Army taught me to hand sew, well my mother showed me how, but in the Army I got to get it down & peel potatoes & crack eggs.

My sister gave me a cute travel sewing kit some years ago. I took it apart today and it contained multiple thread colors on spools smaller than a pencil eraser, safety pins, snaps, needle threader, but no needles. No needle makes it worthless.

I'm going to throw out the cheap thread and put a medium brown cotton quilters thread on a plastic spool. Plus a couple of good quality needles, a larger safety pin, couple of buttons and a leather thimble.

I buy Sweet Leaf sugar tables which comes in a small flip top can. It would make the perfect sewing kit. May make up a couple for family.

I made travel sewing kits for my girls baskets last year ... They do come in handy.

Our local LooneyBin (Dollar -n- more store) has hand sewing kits. I purchased one for my camping trailer and was so impressed with the quantity of needles, pins, thread (and quality thread!) and such that I went back and purchased several more kits - both for the house and other vehicles.

I have used those kits fairly extensively for little sewing fixes where setting up my full-sized sewing machine wasn't worth the time.

The model I have isn't even 100 years old yet. It was built in the 50s.
What model?

We were just given a Singer 500A (the "Rocketeer") from a family that was moving... I LOVE gifts like that!

I have a Singer 99K...

A Singer Touch and Sew...

And an old Kenmore.

I also have a Pfaff serger but that is maybe 20 years old.
Those sewing machines were built to last, when American manufacturing was about building a great product, and not about built in obsolescence, and more profit.

My mom still has an old Kenmore like the one in the photo, but she bought a modern one, because it has so many more features. I doubt it will last as long...

Those sewing machines were built to last, when American manufacturing was about building a great product, and not about built in obsolescence, and more profit.

My mom still has an old Kenmore like the one in the photo, but she bought a modern one, because it has so many more features. I doubt it will last as long...
Modern machine last me about a year or two before they need major repairs/tuning. For the price of the servicing I'd be better off buying a new one!

Modern machine last me about a year or two before they need major repairs/tuning. For the price of the servicing I'd be better off buying a new one!
You seem to be a capable person, could you tune your own machine?
Must be a book or two that will explain how.

Modern machine last me about a year or two before they need major repairs/tuning. For the price of the servicing I'd be better off buying a new one![/QUOTE

You seem to be a capable person, could you tune your own machine?
Must be a book or two that will explain how.
Modern machines are mostly plastic and the amount of use they get in a year with me they are not worth fixing. I can tune a vintage machine no problem. I have manuals for the three machines I own. I know there is a book that will help with the basics about fixing most machines but it is out of print and if you do find it it is over $300.

My mom has just been given another Singer for free... late 60's vintage, with a pristine flip-up cabinet. It came from the estate of the mother of her friend.

This one.VINTAGE SINGER SEWING MACHINE - 1937 - FREE SHIPPING!

I was trying to up load a photo. :brick wall:

The Photo had the serial# (AE471353) side of the sewing machine.

As for which one it is & if it is worth the money I paid, I have no ideal.:eek:

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.